The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Old(s) guy rides in on a '66

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2017, 12:59 PM

New Old(s) guy rides in on a '66

Hello there! My name is Alex and I am registered with this forum since quite a long time, yet did not really participate as much as I wanted to. I reside in Western Germany and fell in love with American automobiles a very long time ago.

Since 2010 I own and ride a '66 Toronado, which I have been repairing and improving ever since. She is a no-frills version, meaning no A/C or electrical window options are installed.

Since she did show some rust on the bottom part of the body (which was potentially due to my own fault) I decided to give her a full repaint and found a paintshop who just did exactly that in an awesome manner. Color is close-to-original Tropic Turquoise with a little bit more blue in it since I liked that better. She finally received a complete internal conservation, so it is truly corrosion resistant now.

Engine, transmission, final drive and CV-shafts have all been redone or replaced, new shocks have been added and some work was done on improving the handling as well. The only thing remaining is to improve the interior a bit, since it does show some patina and especially the dash panel could look somewhat more beautiful.

I just purely enjoy riding her whenever I can, she drives like a dream and it is a very pleasant and relaxing experience.

Below I share some pictures with you and hope you enjoy them. I will also post some pics showing the restoration later on.

Glad to be here!

Old November 20th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Beautiful car (well, except for the FORD blue paint on the engine ). Unlike modern cars, A/C and power windows were relatively rare in 1966.
Old November 20th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sweet ride. Bet it gets a lot of attn. over there.
Old November 20th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Sharp looking Toro... Is the "425" on your license plate a reference to your engine displacement or just a coincidence...
Old November 20th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice. Love the color. Welcome.
Old November 21st, 2017, 11:57 AM

Nice car beautiful color.
Old November 21st, 2017, 01:07 PM

Beautiful car! It amazes me how many nice old Oldsmobiles there are in Europe.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. Beautiful car (well, except for the FORD blue paint on the engine ). Unlike modern cars, A/C and power windows were relatively rare in 1966.
Thank you!

Well, the blue engine paint was sort of an emergency fix since I couldn´t source the original slate blue spray paint due to export restrictions. Closest thing available was this plain blue heat-resisting engine paint. I thought it was better than painting it black or red or whatever other color there may be

Welcome to the site, sweet ride. Bet it gets a lot of attn. over there.
Thanks! Yes it does, most people have to read the nameplate since 1st Gen Toronados are extremely rare over here.

Welcome to the group... Sharp looking Toro... Is the "425" on your license plate a reference to your engine displacement or just a coincidence...
Thank you! It is not a coincidence and should read "TR 425" which is a reference to "Toronado Rocket 425 cid".

Very nice. Love the color. Welcome.
Nice car beautiful color.
Thank you!

Beautiful car! It amazes me how many nice old Oldsmobiles there are in Europe.
There are quite a few, but Olds is still not a popular "classic" brand over here I guess.