The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Oil collection/engine hesitaion

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2017, 04:37 AM

Oil collection/engine Sputter

Hello, I could use everyone's input on my 67 330...I have oil collecting in a couple valleys on the intake manifold near the heads, I'm assuming it's a bad intake manifold gasket... I have a hesitation/sputter in the low rpm range upon initial acceleration, and sometimes if I get on the gas hard. It idles very nice and runs fine on normal acceleration. The issue seems to lessen as the motor gets up to temperature, but will still happen. Will the loss of vacuum from the leak cause this?
I replaced the valve cover gaskets 2 years ago, the timing looks good, I have set the dwell at 30deg, and qjet was just rebuilt last year. Thanks.

Last edited by 67cutlassguy; November 7th, 2017 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Add info
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:14 AM

As far as the oil accumulation goes, I'd look closely at the valve covers if it is actually engine oil and not coagulated gasoline. As far as the hesitation goes, be sure the acceleration pump is doing it's job completely.
Old November 7th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
As far as the oil accumulation goes, I'd look closely at the valve covers if it is actually engine oil and not coagulated gasoline. As far as the hesitation goes, be sure the acceleration pump is doing it's job completely.
I rebuilt the carb with a new kit which included an ethanol resistant shot pump. What's a good way to test the shot pump? It does spray fuel in there when activated
thanks, i appreciate the help!
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 67cutlassguy
I rebuilt the carb with a new kit which included an ethanol resistant shot pump. What's a good way to test the shot pump? It does spray fuel in there when activated
thanks, i appreciate the help!
If the accelerator pump consistently and continuously provides a spray of fuel when opening the throttle, it is likely O.K. I am assuming that you made all the required adjustments to the carburetor when doing the rebuild. The accelerator pump will usually fill via a ball check or some sort of one way valve. This should be checked for "leak back". Similarly the pump piston should be checked to be sure it contacts the wall of the well for the duration of its travel. If you have a leak in the intake it could make acceleration problems. The engine oil is below the manifold, and is unlikely to be what you see on top of the manifold unless it ran out of the valve covers.
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
If the accelerator pump consistently and continuously provides a spray of fuel when opening the throttle, it is likely O.K. I am assuming that you made all the required adjustments to the carburetor when doing the rebuild. The accelerator pump will usually fill via a ball check or some sort of one way valve. This should be checked for "leak back". Similarly the pump piston should be checked to be sure it contacts the wall of the well for the duration of its travel. If you have a leak in the intake it could make acceleration problems. The engine oil is below the manifold, and is unlikely to be what you see on top of the manifold unless it ran out of the valve covers.
I hooked up the tach/dwell meter and timing light...dwell was at 30°, but found timing was at 0°!
I brought it up to around 9° with vac adv plugged at 850rpm, and now its running like a true rocket! It will now even chirp the 15" tires with the switch pitch jetaway and 3:08 gears!
Old November 15th, 2017, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by 67cutlassguy
I hooked up the tach/dwell meter and timing light...dwell was at 30°, but found timing was at 0°!
I brought it up to around 9° with vac adv plugged at 850rpm, and now its running like a true rocket! It will now even chirp the 15" tires with the switch pitch jetaway and 3:08 gears!
It sounds like you're really getting it where it should be.