The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi, I picked up a 1962 Super Eighty Eight

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2017, 10:39 AM

Hi, I picked up a 1962 Super Eighty Eight

Hi, folks call me TC, i am a disabled , retired aircraft mechanic, I picked up my first Olds, a 1962 4 Dr, Super Eighty Eight. I guess cause it resembles a 64 Impala. Anyways, I'm older and wanted to build a car once in my life that would set me back in the seat when I hit the foot feed. Years ago i built a 454 so my 74 suburban would pull my call hear and 4 horses up the mtns fast, OK faster. I figure this was my last chance in life and the Olds became available. What I'm trying to do isn't a restore but I guess more of a (rat rod). I'll spend the money where it counts, engine rear end etc. But as far as the rest of the car I'll do the best I can with what I have. So I'm starting under the hood, it's a 394 w/4bl Rochester. Do ya think that's a good place to start. Most performance parts have around are ignition, carbs air cleaners etc. This car was parked for 27 years. I took my time and did s basic tune up, oil, wires, cap and rotor. I wanted to start and drive it one time before starting any upgrades so I wouldn't have any to big of surprises, trans or even blown engine. Anyway long story short, I cranked the old girl maybe twice and she started right off, no smoke, no poping thru the carb, seems OK. Trans, shifts OK, little leak below torque converter. And that's where I am. Nice to meet you all and I hope I'm not too old to learn from you folks.
​​​​​
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance. Browse through the Vintage section, those guys are great and very sharp on your model engine.
Old September 1st, 2017, 01:57 PM

While the Olds 394 is a good engine. The ultra-high compression model found in the Starfire in 1962 was the most powerful engine:

394.2 cui, advertised power: 345 hp / 440 lb-ft torque / 10.5:1 Compression
(non-Starfire engine) 330 hp / 440 lb-ft torque ' 10.25:1 Compression
Top speed: 120 mph
accelerations: 0- 60 mph 8.7 s; 1/4 mile drag time 16.7 s

For "nail me in the driver seat" power you may want to investigate a 3-deuce or 2-4 bbl setup? Another limiting factor is the 3-speed auto trans.

Anyway you go, it should be fun project. Good luck!
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:07 AM

TC, welcome aboard and congratulations on your good taste in big Oldsmobiles. Post some pictures when you can. As Dave said, the Starfire engine was the top dog 394 and it was helped by factory 3.42 gears. Quite a few folks on here have hopped these cars up, do a search for the "Darksiders" and enjoy the read. Start a project thread and keep us posted on your progress.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 01:04 PM

Welcome TC, and best of luck with your new project. Advice on this sight ,is here for the asking. What part of the U.S. Do you call home. There's probably several C.O. Members close to you. Larry
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:00 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to classicoldsmobile .
The 62 Super 88 had a 330 HP engine . The Starfire was 15 HP more .
The difference was a .25 increase in compression . (10.25 VS 10.50 to 1) .
And a cam with a little more lift and duration .

A good place to start is with a good tune up , as you have done , but check the compression too . That way you will make sure you have all of those 330 horses pulling your sled .
The "slim jim" transmission is OK , as long as it still works . This transmission is quirky though . There is a long "jump" between 1st and 2nd and then a 2 to 3 shift that is hardly noticeable . Rebuilding one is expensive IF you can find someone to do it .
If old Jim dies , or you just don't like him . There is a better upgrade to a TH 400 available ;
http://rossracingengines.com/c/2/old...early-catalog/

Come and join the "Darksiders " on this thread ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ers-unite.html

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 3rd, 2017 at 07:11 PM.