The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

crewser60

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2017, 08:25 AM

crewser60

Hello everyone, newby here. Hey I'm looking for some chrome valve covers for my 72 Cutlass. I can't seem to find them anywhere with the mounting holes three on the bottom and two on the top. Does anybody have any ideas where I can get some?
Old July 19th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by crewser60
Hello everyone, newby here. Hey I'm looking for some chrome valve covers for my 72 Cutlass. I can't seem to find them anywhere with the mounting holes three on the bottom and two on the top. Does anybody have any ideas where I can get some?
You won't find them. The five bolt and ten bolt valve covers interchange. The five bolt covers simply don't have the other five bolt locations drilled. The ten bolt covers fit both. The bigger question is, which heads do you have on your car - five bolt or ten bolt? The original engine in a 72 used ten bolt valve covers. IF your engine only has five bolt heads, those are 1977-newer heads. Keep in mind that you may have five bolt covers and ten bolt heads under them.
Old July 19th, 2017, 01:24 PM

Valve Covers

Thanks for your reply. I've had the valve covers off and there is only five holes - three on the bottom two on the top. You're telling me that 5 hole heads are 77 heads? This engine came from a race car driver that did figure eights and he rebuilt this engine that he never used so I purchased it from him. Anyway these chrome valve covers have 10 holes in them and they're supposed to be Universal. They were leaking oil but I took them back off and reinstall them and the oil seem to be not leaking anymore.
Old July 19th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by crewser60
You're telling me that 5 hole heads are 77 heads?
From above:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If your engine only has five bolt heads, those are 1977-newer heads.
What is the casting number above the center two exhaust ports? How about the large number near the no 1 and no 8 spark plugs?