The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Who are moderators

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM

Who are moderators

where is a list of mods?
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM

I'm one, what do you need?
Old November 11th, 2011, 05:13 AM

You rang?
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:23 AM

I felt a disturbance in the force, I have my light saber, whats up
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Hi, Me to, How can we help you.
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Old November 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by real57vetteguy
where is a list of mods?
WoW!! Looks like you woke up a few people. They're good folks and not a complete list of all the mods on this site.

GUYS, I think what real57vetteguy is alluding to is there is no listing of mods on the site, or the role of the mod? Maybe something to look at putting into one of the Forums - MODERATORS, listing, function, with a PM listing attached.

It's a good point to bring up though, because unless you have been on the site for awhile or realize who's a Mod by looking at their avatar lines. Sometimes I get the impression the Moderator function may not be known or understood. There have been other times on this site where I've seen the same question asked and I've directed some folks to some of the Mods I know.
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

X2

Originally Posted by allan r
wow!! Looks like you woke up a few people. They're good folks and not a complete list of all the mods on this site.

Guys, i think what real57vetteguy is alluding to is there is no listing of mods on the site, or the role of the mod? Maybe something to look at putting into one of the forums - moderators, listing, function, with a pm listing attached.

It's a good point to bring up though, because unless you have been on the site for awhile or realize who's a mod by looking at their avatar lines. Sometimes i get the impression the moderator function may not be known or understood. There have been other times on this site where i've seen the same question asked and i've directed some folks to some of the mods i know.
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sometimes I get the impression the Moderator function may not be known or understood.
It's simple - we moderate!
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Sometimes I get the impression the Moderator function may not be known or understood.
LOL, Very true!

Last edited by oldcutlass; November 11th, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
It's simple - we moderate!
ah HAH! So, moderately speaking it would be safe to say there would be moderate amounts of trace chemicals in my body that would leave only moderate symptoms if I was to use them moderately and they were available to me for a moderate price?

NOW I know what a moderator does.... Actually I do and appreciate the hard (sometimes unpleasant) stuff you guys have to deal with.

I still think it would be a good idea to have a listing for folks who don't know the moderator community. There ya go, one more pork chop and jumbo shrimp to put on yer plate! No charge + have a beer on me!
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Allan, I don't have a problem with us mods being listed some where.

IMHO sometimes members think we should get involved in the private dealings/commerce between members.

Most of the time the mods discuss post which are in appropriate and or posted arguments that are getting out of hand.

Occassionally, we discuss changes/improvements to CO.
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM

ah HAH! So, moderately speaking it would be safe to say there would be moderate amounts of trace chemicals in my body that would leave only moderate symptoms if I was to use them moderately and they were available to me for a moderate price?

NOW I know what a moderator does.... Actually I do and appreciate the hard (sometimes unpleasant) stuff you guys have to deal with.

I still think it would be a good idea to have a listing for folks who don't know the moderator community. There ya go, one more pork chop and jumbo shrimp to put on yer plate! No charge + have a beer on me!
Yes, we drink beer, too......
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Yes, we drink beer, too......

I'm in - where to I sign up?
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Yeah, and and make sure to include in the list the home and cell phone numbers of all the moderators so we can gripe at any hour of the day or night - j/k.
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Yeah, and and make sure to include in the list the home and cell phone numbers of all the moderators so we can gripe at any hour of the day or night - j/k.

Me thinks NOT
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Whenever you enter a forum,while your on the page that shows all the different threads for that forum...scroll to the bottom and there is a box showing all the mods for that forum.

Man,these mods around here are trigger happy,you asked and plenty answered.
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM
"me somebody" site member

Quis moderatiet ipsos moderates (who moderates the moderators)?
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Omicron and Oldsguy. Omicron is on top of the computer glitches, and Oldsguy the wise elder handles most of the fatherly advice.

Technically, none of us own the website, and it may be sold for scrap at any moment by the internet gods' command.

We keep it alive and running on a love for Oldsmobile volunteer basis.
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick

The Wizard, the guy behind the curtain!!!!!
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM

I am glad I read this post. Now I know who I have to be nice to. I didn't know there were so many. Are there moderator elections? What's the pay? If it is over six digits I am in. I am still paying for my restoration.

Lee registered user and "want to be" moderator
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM

And there's a few more of us who haven't had time to post on this thread yet

Lee, I got involved a few years ago when Dan and Paul decided they needed more help. Since I had been spending a lot of time on the site already, and had been trying to help others with questions, they asked me if I'd be willing to help as a moderator. I believe that was the case for most if not all the other mods as well. Pay is lousy... since there isn't any But we have the pleasure of helping to keep the site going forward and in the right direction. I don't think there's a posted list of required behavior, but we all want this to be a site focused on the hobby. If someone is being too abrasive and flaming others just for the sake of being mean we'll ask them to tone it down and be more considerate. A couple years ago there were some problems with ****, and as one of the members commented he didn't want something popping up that would be a problem if he was on the computer at work, had a small child looking at the cool car pictures with him, or had his wife walk into the room. So there again, we might gently encourage someone to keep it "family friendly" if their posts stray too far.

But most of all we enjoy sharing the hobby we all have in common. I also think being involved in this community is part of the hobby.

John
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks John: I was just kidding about becoming a moderator. Just a note since you will all get this comment. This site has been very helpful to me during my restoration and is very active. People are nice and not like the other site which will go unnamed and was not able to join (rhymes with Real Olds Power). I have even met and interacted with many of the members on Classic Olds. I will continue to try to give back some of my knowlege and experience with the Oldsmobiles I know best. I did a sport steering wheel post and am currently doing a ram air hood repair post and plan a restoration 1a post since I should know everything about getting a car restored at a shop. Keep up the good work moderators. You are doing a F.......n/good job.

Sorry I couldn't resist the slur word was frickin........
Lee
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I just want to add my comment that the mods here do a really good job - they stay the heck out of it unless things start to really go downhill, and then they remain as reserved as they can.

Of course, the members here are an excellent lot as well, and tend to show a genuine respect for one another, even when they disagree, which, I would stick my neck out to say, makes the mods' jobs a whole lot easier .

Great work, guys!

- Eric
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Man,these mods around here are trigger happy,you asked and plenty answered.
Have .45, will travel.

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Omicron and Oldsguy. Omicron is on top of the computer glitches, and Oldsguy the wise elder handles most of the fatherly advice.
I clearly remember the fatherly love you distributed once...

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I don't think there's a posted list of required behavior, but
Sure is - bottom left of each thread page.
Here are the links!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...p?do=showrules
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/faq.php
See the page "user conduct" in the faq.

Originally Posted by leepear
Thanks John: I was just kidding about becoming a moderator.
Thanks John for disclosing our pay scale... We lost another cadet...
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
car guy

Im still waiting for my fat check.
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Have .45, will travel.

I clearly remember the fatherly love you distributed once...
It's a shame that I broke my favorite wooden spoon paddling their naughty behinds.
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

We will be okay as long as you guys don't join the Moderator's Union. You pay would probably double then.

Seriously to all of you, THANKS. I know it is a thankless job and you all do great. That is what makes this the best Olds website anywhere. The members are great but the mods have kept some riftraft out. INe in particular comes to mind but I will not mention names. Again, thanks for doing a great job.
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Famous promises... It's in the mail! LOL
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Hello Mods........you sent me a contact email last year to advertise on the site,Do you still have it? Thanks!
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Hey Richard - you're in luck! According to Rob's disclosure the check has extra zeros in it this year.
$000.00
We'll tack that onto the fuel surcharge when you come up for a visit!!
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM

This is a very interesting thread. Three observations:

1. The OP has yet to return to the thread since his original post.

2. There have been, as of this posting, 29 responses. (Mine is the 30th.)

3. Not one of those responses has actually answered his question. To be sure, the various moderators have posted with messages like "I'm one, what do you need" or something like that. But there has been no actual list. I'm not sure one is required or should be posted, but I just found it kind of funny.
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
3. Not one of those responses has actually answered his question. To be sure, the various moderators have posted with messages like "I'm one, what do you need" or something like that. But there has been no actual list. I'm not sure one is required or should be posted, but I just found it kind of funny.
His concerns were about how dishonesty is dealt with in parts for sale. Since there is no rule book per say, I usually play judge, and confer about the situation with my colleagues. Let it be known that I'm merciless with scammers and broken/rotten junk peddlers.
I'm aware that not everyone is an engineer or even a mechanic, but obvious junk is not welcome. That being said, I also do not appreciate overinflated prices like: "dented 1972 cutlass fender, $2000"
It is a free country, and you may ask what you want with your free speech, but that doesn't mean that I won't exercise mine as well by publicly calling (edit SOMEONE out as a jerk.

I have responded publicly and fairly to vetteguy's concern on the product in question. We are not politicians, just car folk wanting everyone to get a fair shake, and hopefully a milkshake next time we meet up.
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM

It is a free country, and you may ask what you want with your free speech, but that doesn't mean that I won't exercise mine as well by publicly calling you out as a jerk.
I point out that no one actually answered his question, and that makes me a jerk? Wow.

Are you actually a moderator? If so, your smarmy, holier-than-thou attitude has done them all a disservice.
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It is a free country, and you may ask what you want with your free speech, but that doesn't mean that I won't exercise mine as well by publicly calling you out as a jerk.
Originally Posted by jaunty75
I point out that no one actually answered his question, and that makes me a jerk? Wow.
Ummmm... This is awkward.

Jaunty, I think he was talking to a "theoretical" audience of scammers and dishonest sellers whom he has banned, not to you.

They say he's restricting their free speech by deleting bogus threads, and he responds that they're jerks.

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM

OK now... aliens and jaunty I know you guys aren't best friends. But arguments like this don't add anything to the hobby. Please keep it out of public threads. John
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM

OK now... aliens and jaunty I know you guys aren't best friends. But arguments like this don't add anything to the hobby. Please keep it out of public threads. John
This is why moderators are needed and the example above is what they do!
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
"me somebody" site member

Fair enough. Now I know how many mods it takes to edit a thread!
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Please keep it out of public threads. John
Hey, I'd be glad to. But do me a favor, OK? You're a moderator, right? So MODERATE.

Go back and look at who STARTED the argument. Out of nowhere he chimes in and calls me a jerk. I'm only defending myself. Please go back and direct your scolding where it belongs.
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM

OK... I'm trying to be low key and ask you both to stop arguing. I'm not scolding yet, and don't want to if you'll both take a deep breath and let it drop. You've both had a chance to respond to one another and if you want to continue please do it outside of a public thread. John