The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Where do I start?!

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Where do I start?!

Hello everyone, glad to be part of the forum here.

First a little info about myself. My name is Brandon and I am initally here because I'm finding it hard to obtain reliable info for my project......

A 1964 Oldmobile Super 88. 394 w/4bbl

A little background on the ride.

Originally it belonged to my grandfather. He used to drive it to town every Sunday to run errands and to pick up the paper. He did this for as long as I can remember.

Years ago, while he was alive, he asked if I wanted to have it when I was old enough to drive. Of course! I thought it was the coolest car ever!

He passed away from cancer shortly after that. Back then I was WAY to young to even be thinking about driving. We moved away and left the car at G'pa and G'mas property.Needless to say, it sat for over 15 years. So years later I decided to have it towed to my house and fully restore it in honor and memory of him.

So now I am tearing it down piece by piece to get it back to the AWESOME car I remember it being. It's got a solid foundation but needs a lot of love, time, and money. I am willing to give all of that, but am afraid I may be in over my head as far as skill and experience go. I've found all the ORIGINAL shop manuals other than vol 1:Engine. WHICH I REALLY WANTED/NEEDED THE MOST!

I have had some minor experience, but nothing near what a full restore calls for. Any help would be appreciated and welcomed!

I've worked in the automotive industry for over 13 years as a parts counterman, so my resources should be fairly fruitfull, but there are going to be those hard to get/obsolete parts that can't be found anywhere.

I will post pictures of my baby! Any and all help/advice/guidance/contructive criticism would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Welcome aboard. I think it is great that you have a family heirloom car.
If you have love, time and money, and the motivation you are over halfway there.
Go on-line and start learning all you can.
Go to wildaboutcars.com and join. As someone else here says,
IT'S FREE
They have more factory literature on line then you will believe.
Everyone here is great to help you also.
Post pics
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome!

Well since it's been sitting for 15 years I would start at the fuel system, drop the tank, you may also want to remove the radiator at this time depending on how it looks. Take both the radiator and the gas tank to a radiator shop and have them cleaned and pressure tested, clean and check sending unit and or replace, replace all the little rubber lines. Remove and replace the fuel pump and blow the steel line to it from the tank to clear any debris in there. Then get the carb rebuilt and add a new fuel filter. Replace any rubber fuel lines. make sure all the vacuum lines are good or replace.

Pull all the plugs, squirt some oil in the plug holes, and let it sit over night. Put a breaker bar and a socket and turn the engine over by hand at the crank a few times and add some more oil. Change the oil and filter. Put a new set of points and condersor in the distributor and gap them to .019. Replace the cap, rotor and wires, get a battery, hook it up and crank the engine a few times with the key to blow the oil out of the cylinders. Replace the spark plugs gapped .035. Check the trans and top it off with trans fluid. Fill the power steering, and add some fuel, turn the key, and it should start.

This is where the fun begins!
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM

HA! I wish I could start there. I'm afraid Ole' Blue is in more dire need than an in depth tune. I'm afraid it's going to require a rebuild ENTIRELY. I've already pulled the valve covers and the lifters/tappets look good. Not any sludge/grim build up. So that has me excited. I will post pictures here shortly so you all can see where exactly I am at in this. Again, thanks for your replies!
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Take plenty of pics while your tearing it down,hope you have a digital camera.Tag and mark everything,when ever possible put bolts back in to holes they came out of even if you plan on not using them.You can't have to much information.I don't mean to discourage you but this could easily turn in to a 5 or 10 year project.Good luck.
railguy
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Railguy,

I can easily see this being a many years project. I doubt I have much progress within a year. I'm afraid I'm in over my head. I'm not the kind of individual that gets discouraged easily, so I'm not worried about that. Just worried I'm going to run into something that is beyond my abilities. More progress pictures on the way. These are just an initial peek.
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM

And here is the first batch of shots....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ob4.jpg (102.3 KB, 102 views)
ob1.jpg (70.9 KB, 91 views)
ob2.jpg (104.8 KB, 106 views)
ob3.jpg (80.7 KB, 102 views)
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Nice!
Be careful with all fasteners lots of them are very hard if not Impossible to find.
railguy
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM

You do have your hands full. Was it outside all those years? Where was it, and where is it now? I would take a good look to see how solid the frame is first. Make sure it is restorable before you go to far. The frame has got to be solid or anything else you do will not matter.
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I retract my earlier post. You are way away from there. Thats a project!
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Welcome,

Well after the leaf removal it looks as though you have the hi compression 394 engine in that bay.394 engines are great motors with a ton of torque but they are pricey to rebuild. Unfortunately they bolt up to one of the most troublesome transmissions ever put in a GM car.,some lucky people have no problems ,most do.

My advise would be go slow and steady and take pictures of everything, keep all the pieces of trim no matter how bad so you can match them up at a later date from someones donor car ,nothing is reproduced for these cars so missing body parts are usually from parts cars. If you can and have room keep your eyes out for a donor car of your own you will probably need it and often you can sell unneeded parts and recoup some of your costs. Just curious is the engine frozen(looks as though it should be) if not it would be a huge step in th right direction. Best of luck in your build....Tedd
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:46 PM

I joined and the guys on here are great they will try to lead you in the right direction.they helped me with my 64 Olds super 88 vacuum troubles i was having.
Attached Images
009.jpg (89.6 KB, 28 views)
1964 Oldsmobile 001 (2).jpg (91.8 KB, 27 views)
1964 Oldsmobile 004 (2).jpg (72.1 KB, 25 views)
008.jpg (78.7 KB, 26 views)
1964 Oldsmobile 012 (2).jpg (78.0 KB, 21 views)
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:48 AM

Railguy,

So far, amazingly, I've only had to snap off a few fastners that I just couldn't break loose. Mainly two fastners under the front doors that attach the fender to the underside of the rocker. They're a bolt with a flower-esque washer? The rest of the hardware seems to break loose fairly easy with a shot of penetrant. I hope the rest of the bolts and bits come just as easy.

M371961,

Frame looks solid. There is rust, but it looks like nothing more than surface if anything. Nothing thats eaten through so far that I can tell. Will know better after I get it blasted. Unfortunately the car has been outside all these years. I don't doubt that this is the first time it has been covered from the outside. Currently it is nearly half disassembled in my garage.

Tedd,

Again, amazingly, all the body trim is there! Every single piece of chrome, all embelms, every bit. And in top notch condition. I was shocked it beat the elements for so many years. You can definitely tell this car was built to last! My dad is thinking that the reason gramps parked the car originally was because the trans was slipping. He's not 100% sure though.

So I pulled the engine last night. Drained it, and was delighted to see the oil black, and not milky or sludge ridden. Trans fluid was red as can be, smelled new, and coolant was greener than today's A/F. All this makes me very happy.
Attached Images
ob5.jpg (102.0 KB, 58 views)
ob6.jpg (94.2 KB, 54 views)
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You are a brave man.

For a quick check of the frame, go along and whack it every inch or two with a ball peen hammer. It should ring reasonably sharply. If it thuds, you've got a problem.

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Is it THAT bad Eric?
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Just the facts...

and while you're checking the frame, also check the fuel and brake lines. if they're severely crusty, you'll want to replace them.

bill
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Also you might want to check the gas tank. Ijust put gas in mine and it leaked out as quick as i put it in.
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by BWinfrey
Is it THAT bad Eric?
Welllll... Let's just say that many of us have stripped parts cars that looked better .

The big questions would be interior condition and underbody rust.

If those are both within reason, then it's not THAT bad.

If those are both good, and the mechanicals are basically sound, then what you have may be better than a lot of shiny stuff with buried rust and collision damage that pople pay big bucks for. Like this, for instance.

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Welllll... Let's just say that many of us have stripped parts cars that looked better .

The big questions would be interior condition and underbody rust.

If those are both within reason, then it's not THAT bad.

- Eric
Underbody looks pretty clean from what I can tell. I don't have it completely stripped yet so I don't know for sure.

Interior pieces are great. Obviously the seats neep re-upholstered the fabric on them is dry rotted.
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:10 PM

It is worth putting whatever amount of money and effort YOU feel it is worth.
I personally believe that anything can be rebuilt, even if one must replace the frame or frame sections if it is something you want bad enough.
The 1965 98 I am doing I believe most would have used as a parts car, but the frame is solid, it had the most expensive base price of 1965 and less then 5000 were made. It was complete, but needed floorpans, lower quarters, engine and brake rebuild, top and complete interior. And it will take a long time, I cannot afford to make it better then a twenty foot car, but I will enjoy the journey and then the ride.
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM

Just a quick question. How far are the Super 88 and Starfire apart as far as parts interchange?

And how can I tell what model of Super 88 I have?
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM

I have a '64 Jetstar 88 4dr for parts
small engine, small brakes, big car
Glass interior bits may help you
front suspension gone and rear end hit a pole.

Manuals on Wildaboutcars.com

How did the engine compartment get FILLED with leaves?? I was surprised you found an engine under that.

I can get a proper carb if yours is beyond salvation.

Stick this in your info pile:
Rocket Science
RocketScience442@hotmail.com
517.449.O43-Two text or call
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:51 AM

Octania,

The engine compartment was leave filled due to it sitting in a field for over 15 years. Critters seem to think it makes for a great home with a little bit of insualtion added to it. It WAS PACKED!

But now, everything is cleaned out, engine looks pretty good after cleaning all the debris from it. I'll post some more progress pictures soon!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:54 AM

BWinfrey, I'm just curious is the engine stuck? I wouldn't doubt it if water leaked into the engine through the carb, but if you could get by with out having to bore and a piston change you could save yourself a bunch in part cost. 394 parts are expensive and some are hard to find....Tedd
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM

Once I pulled the engine, and drained the oil, it was black. Like it should be. Not milky at all and didn't seem to be holding any moisture or water. I was very happy to see that. All fluids look just like they should have. I'm hoping all the internals are great and I won't have to go for a FULL rebuild.

So.....does anyone know how to tell what model of Super 88 you may have by numbers or particulars on the vehicle?

Here's a shot of the engine and trans finally pulled out!

Last edited by BWinfrey; November 23rd, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM

A few shots of interior, engine & trans.