The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM

What is it worth?

We have one of those ultimate Granny mobiles—My wife's grandmother's 1984 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 4-doors that has right at 55,000 original miles on it. Due to mostly short distance driving over it's life I've had to replace some things such as the exhaust system. It has the 3.8 L V6. It is running well, the exterior is clean, other than a couple tiny dings, The paint is a bit weathered, the stitching and everything about the top is perfect. The interior is just about like it was the day Granny first drove it home. The one thing it does need is a new AC compressor. NADA on it runs around $3,900. My question is if I put it on CraigsList, what is a reasonable asking price? It would be fun to keep (my boys love the soft ride and the velour/velvet interior), but as a self-employed person in our present economy we need the money. Any input would be appreciated.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM

In buying and selling used, classic etc. cars I have found NADA etc. really don't seem to reflect the actual selling prices. The best way I have found is to keep an eye on E-bay and see what the car sold for, not just the asking price. You have to do this for some time to get a feel for actual selling prices. I was looking at a Starfire last week. It sold for $4,500. but was re-listed because of non-payment. It sold later for $3,300.,quite a bit of difference.
Higgins
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Don't know about the value but I'm sure others will chime in
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I think if you could get that much you would be fortunate, but as was said, the market varies so much keeping an eye on the local craigslist is a good idea.