The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Timing

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2015, 05:51 PM

Timing

How do I fix timing on my old's 307 it smells rich has straight pipes
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

It would be nice if you could tell us more about your car, what has been done recently along with how long your car has been running rich, if that's the case. We all like to see pics as well. When you get a chance post some pics of your car here and tell us more about the past and current history on how the car has been operating.
As for your timing others may chime and be able to help.
Welcome to CO

Eric
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, what year is your car?
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
It would be nice if you could tell us more about your car, what has been done recently along with how long your car has been running rich, if that's the case. We all like to see pics as well. When you get a chance post some pics of your car here and tell us more about the past and current history on how the car has been operating.
As for your timing others may chime and be able to help.
Welcome to CO

Eric
Don't know much about it guy that had it didn't have much info bought it 2 days ago pics coming tomorrow all I know is 307 with straight pipes
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Hookers under Hood

Eric (oldcutlass) and others with be able to help you out here, just follow their posts along with recommendations and I'm sure you'll be able to fix your issue/s.

Eric H
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, what year is your car?
1984 cutlass supreme having trouble getting pics on here working from phone
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:23 PM

If the computer isn't hooked up the timing will never advance.
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

"Straight pipes" can mean different things to different people. Do you mean dual exhaust? No mufflers? No catalyst?

In any case, your 307 has the computer-controlled Quadrajet. The computer also controls the timing. If any part of the system has been removed or disconnected, or if there is a leak or misrouting in any of the miles of vacuum hoses under the hood, the system will not run correctly. There are MANY failure modes that will not set a code in the computer, either. You need to either get and understand a factory Chassis Service Manual or find someone who truly knows how to tune one of these. Few people have the patience or skill to do it any more. Simply changing the timing will not fix the problem. Good luck.
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
If the computer isn't hooked up the timing will never advance.
There is no computer to hook up. To advance it's carb.
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
"Straight pipes" can mean different things to different people. Do you mean dual exhaust? No mufflers? No catalyst?

In any case, your 307 has the computer-controlled Quadrajet. The computer also controls the timing. If any part of the system has been removed or disconnected, or if there is a leak or misrouting in any of the miles of vacuum hoses under the hood, the system will not run correctly. There are MANY failure modes that will not set a code in the computer, either. You need to either get and understand a factory Chassis Service Manual or find someone who truly knows how to tune one of these. Few people have the patience or skill to do it any more. Simply changing the timing will not fix the problem. Good luck.
There is no computer on the quadra jet this is not a 're built or New 307 it is a old 307 motor trans. breaks that's it straight pipes meaning no cats no muffler straight raw pipes to headers that it looking towards distributor rotar button and vacuum hose on side of distributor next to check suction then changing fuel filters
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by NewcuttyBuddy7
There is no computer on the quadra jet this is not a 're built or New 307 it is a old 307 motor trans. breaks that's it straight pipes meaning no cats no muffler straight raw pipes to headers that it looking towards distributor rotar button and vacuum hose on side of distributor next to check suction then changing fuel filters
We really want to help, but obviously this car is not stock. If you want useful information from us, you'll need to provide specific details of what equipment is on this car. The mind reading still isn't working.
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:43 AM

Yeah, I could not get my 403's carb to advance either.

You need to either do a lot of reading and learning or find someone who has already done that to assist you.

You may need to complete a conversion to computer-free operation with a pre-computer carb and pre-computer distributor properly set up for your engine.

I had to learn all about distributor rebuilding, how to re-do bushings, where to get grease, how to measure and alter advance settings, and finally among the major improvements was hooking vacuum advance to manifold vacuum.

Formerly overheating, low on power, eye-burning rich exhaust, and would not idle.

Now: perfect temp maintenance on a 403 using the 307s original radiator, good power, nice exhaust, and idles perfectly.

It can be done, but not by guessing and fiddling w/o an understanding of the systems and their functions. Read, learn, do, repeat.

I used to have the dist'r mods write-up with pix on ROP.com but it was lost in a crash and I am unwilling to re-do that just to lose it again.
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:00 AM

We really want to help, but obviously this car is not stock. If you want useful information from us, you'll need to provide specific details of what equipment is on this car. The mind reading still isn't working.
Well being a dick doesn't help the situation either smog pump disconnected a c compressor. Disconnected stock Oldsmobile 307 in a 1984 cutlass supreme carbed straight pipes no muffler no cats. When it isles it sounds high in rpms gauges are not correct says in park it's running 3000 rpms when u rev belt squeals He said nothing about changing headers so I assume there stock I figured timing was off was looking for answers where to start
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Hookers under Hood

Newcuttybuddy7, have you seen how many posts Joe_padavano has to date? ( 18,900+ posts) I wouldn't be calling anyone a dick, especially Joe.. He has helped so many guys here.
Why don't you put together more details about your car once you have had it in your possession for more than a couple days, also what has been done to it, along with an apology to Joe. and just maybe ....maybe guys will be willing to assist you

Eric

Last edited by 76olds; September 15th, 2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo error
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Newcuttybuddy7, have you seen how many posts Joe_padavano has to date? I would be calling anyone a dick, especially Joe.. He has helped so many guys here.
Why don't you put some more details about your car and what has been done with it along with an apology to Joe. and just maybe ....maybe guys will be willing to assist you

Eric
I'm not apologizing to Joe cuz apparently Joe can use Google to help people I have received more help off this site than on this sight there is a blue million of y'all on here but ur not getting what I'm telling u and go back and read his post I'm a newbie in the newbie section act like it I told u All I know if y'all don't have the patience stop replying it obvious Joe is confused. Because there is no computer for a old carb 307 Quadra jet if I was receiving info that made since and wasn't put like I'm an idiot I would appreciate it but I have not received correct info and I have been talked to like an idiot so come correct sir
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well being a dick doesn't help the situation either
I agree, but since you're new, we'll overlook it.
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM

I'm not apologizing to Joe cuz apparently Joe can use Google to help people I have received more help off this site than on this sight there is a blue million of y'all on here but ur not getting what I'm telling u and go back and read his post I'm a newbie in the newbie section act like it I told u All I know if y'all don't have the patience stop replying it obvious Joe is confused. Because there is no computer for a old carb 307 Quadra jet if I was receiving info that made since and wasn't put like I'm an idiot I would appreciate it but I have not received correct info and I have been talked to like an idiot so come correct sir
I would humbly suggest (yep, I'm a Dick too) that you learn to spell and how to punctuate your sentences if you want help. Post up a picture or two of your setup. Then the experts (like Joe P., who is The Man when it comes to Oldsmobile's) can give you their expert advice. Like has been said, the mind reading isn't working.
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Because there is no computer for a old carb 307 Quadra jet if I was receiving info that made since and wasn't put like I'm an idiot I would appreciate it but I have not received correct info and I have been talked to like an idiot so come correct sir
Really? That's pretty amazing since I own a 1984 Olds 307 with the computer controlled Q-jet. I also have the 1984 factory Chassis Service Manual in front of me that explains the system. It's entirely possible that yours has had the computer removed, as a lot of people do that, but FROM THE FACTORY it was computer controlled (yeah, I know some Canadian-sold 307 were not computer controlled, but the OP is in Alabama). The computer controlled the primary metering rods and the advance curve in the distributor, among other things. Again, since we can't see your car through the interweb, we have no idea if it's stock or not. If it isn't stock, we can't help without knowing exactly what's been done to it.
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:19 PM

And.....they started using computers mid way through the 1980 model year. This was BEFORE electronic fuel injection made it's way into the market place.
My guess is that you are young and just don't know any better, and that is fine, but we have been doing this for a long time and Joe is probably one of the most knowledgeable individuals regarding Oldsmobile that you will run into. He is not "being a dick" by telling you that you are incorrect about the car not having a computer, but you are by snapping at him (and us) by not listening to us when you asked for our help.
We can't magically figure out your problem without details, and in your case some good pictures would be of great help.
We want to help you, but you have to be willing to accept the help that we are providing and not try to tell us that we are wrong because you believe something to be true that is not.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:25 PM

And.....they started using computers mid way through the 1980 model year. This was BEFORE electronic fuel injection made it's way into the market place.
My guess is that you are young and just don't know any better, and that is fine, but we have been doing this for a long time and Joe is probably one of the most knowledgeable individuals regarding Oldsmobile that you will run into. He is not "being a dick" by telling you that you are incorrect about the car not having a computer, but you are by snapping at him (and us) by not listening to us when you asked for our help.
We can't magically figure out your problem without details, and in your case some good pictures would be of great help.
We want to help you, but you have to be willing to accept the help that we are providing and not try to tell us that we are wrong because you believe something to be true that is not.
How do u know I'm not telling the truth I've given u all what exactly under the hood he said computer there ain't 1 now I have herd nothing since but bitching let's get back to the 307 with no computer straight pipes no muffler no cats the smog pump is off the belt so is the ac compressor when I get in it. It bogs down some times belt squicks it really squicks when u rev It in park it's running super rich the only thing done is it's had straight pipes put on it. I'm working from mobile so the pic situation is ugly the mobile site sucks I've given u it all a pic wouldn't help any ways if Joe has all these 307 laying around tell him to get out that book and put his head under a hood and give me a real answer besides oh if it ain't hooked to the computer it can't advance that's not an answer for a newbie forum I realize y'all have it all figured out so since y'all do give me a answer worth having and don't be afraid to put details this is a newbie forum
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

How do u know I'm not telling the truth I've given u all what exactly under the hood he said computer there ain't 1 now I have herd nothing since but bitching let's get back to the 307 with no computer straight pipes no muffler no cats the smog pump is off the belt so is the ac compressor when I get in it. It bogs down some times belt squicks it really squicks when u rev It in park it's running super rich the only thing done is it's had straight pipes put on it. I'm working from mobile so the pic situation is ugly the mobile site sucks I've given u it all a pic wouldn't help any ways if Joe has all these 307 laying around tell him to get out that book and put his head under a hood and give me a real answer besides oh if it ain't hooked to the computer it can't advance that's not an answer for a newbie forum I realize y'all have it all figured out so since y'all do give me a answer worth having and don't be afraid to put details this is a newbie forum
OK, one more time.

Does the carb on your car have a blue electrical connector on top of the float bowl, like this one?

If it does, that is a computer controlled Qjet and it will not run correctly without being connected to the computer. If there is not a connector, then someone has swapped the carb. Again, a photo would help us provide you with the correct info.

Same thing with the distributor. Does it have a vacuum advance canister or not? If it does not, it won't run correctly without the computer. If it does have a canister, it's been swapped.

If you do have a non-computer carb and distributor, you adjust the carb and set the timing like you do on any other GM. Timing tab is on the driver's side. Note that the original tab is plastic and sometimes breaks off, so if it's missing, this is probably why.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:48 PM

OK, one more time.

Does the carb on your car have a blue electrical connector on top of the float bowl, like this one?

If it does, that is a computer controlled Qjet and it will not run correctly without being connected to the computer. If there is not a connector, then someone has swapped the carb. Again, a photo would help us provide you with the correct info.

Same thing with the distributor. Does it have a vacuum advance canister or not? If it does not, it won't run correctly without the computer. If it does have a canister, it's been swapped.

If you do have a non-computer carb and distributor, you adjust the carb and set the timing like you do on any other GM. Timing tab is on the driver's side. Note that the original tab is plastic and sometimes breaks off, so if it's missing, this is probably why.
Joe my man thanks I'll keep trying to get the pic on here I couldn't even c urs Idk what's up I'll check out everything u said and let u know once again thank u sir
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe my man thanks I'll keep trying to get the pic on here I couldn't even c urs Idk what's up I'll check out everything u said and let u know once again thank u sir
That's weird, because your quote of my post even has my picture in it.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:53 PM

I can't see it either.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:56 PM

That's weird, because your quote of my post even has my picture in it.
I'm thinking it's got to be My phone it juz gave me a gallery sign to click on I clicked it and a black screen popped up Idk sorry we had to go through all that new to forums all I've ever done on my vehicles is fix what's broke if it wasn't broke I didn't fix it I got a lot to learn so thank u again
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

I can't see it either.
Are you guys using the mobile app or on a computer? That's weird, because it works for me.

How about this one?

2012-06-01_21-53-52_825.jpg

The URL is
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a...-53-52_825.jpg
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM

This is what I'm seeing on my computer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture not working.jpg (200.2 KB, 39 views)
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Are you guys using the mobile app or on a computer? That's weird, because it works for me.

How about this one?

The URL is
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a...-53-52_825.jpg
That one works.
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:02 PM

That one works.
UPDATE: fixed gas leak. Smog pump gone every hose all the way to the block. Plugged with 1(4 inch brass fittings. All of a(c gone. Added Manuel choke. Electric wasn't working it was rigged! Jammed in fuse space smh. it's not a 100 percent but. it's running. Way better still needs timing and I'm defanetly rebuilding carb. Still don't know what kind of motor it is but I know it's a v8 lol I'll be finding out soon thanks folks talk to u after the timing adjust and carb rebuild

Last edited by NewcuttyBuddy7; September 17th, 2015 at 07:06 PM.