The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Stopping by to say hi..67 Cutlass ragtop

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM

Stopping by to say hi..67 Cutlass ragtop

Just stopping by to intro myself. I just purchased a 1967 Olds Cutlass Supreme rag top, pwr windows, p.s, p.b. She is in amazing shape & im proud to own it. It has the usual leak here & drip there. New white top & mint red interior, im actually amazed at the interior. I threw some plugs in it, changed the oil & drove it all over. The top hesitates after every 5 seconds or so & then if u let it set for about 15 seconds & hit the button it will go again. Ive never had a rag top do this maybe someone can help. Im amazed at the knowledge some of u have on these Oldsmobiles. I went through the cowl numbers & figured a few things out but a few that i cant. Ill be around ofetn as i am semi retired & i want to play with this Olds & get it right. I think it has the orig 330 as the engine front is stamped with 394417 3. But the heads read V488070 G , i found research that said the heads were off a 400, maybe they are wrong. Looking forward to being on board..Drive fast & take chances. Ace
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 67cutlass67GS
I think it has the orig 330 as the engine front is stamped with 394417 3. But the heads read V488070 G , i found research that said the heads were off a 400, maybe they are wrong. Looking forward to being on board..Drive fast & take chances. Ace
You are correct, the block casting number is a 330 (you can't tell if it's original since there are no unique numbers on the block in 1967). The engine unit number code on the head IS for a 1967 442 400 motor, so the heads appear to have been swapped. What's the casting letter on the heads next to the no. 1 and no. 8 spark plugs. I'll bet that it's a "C".
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM

Thanx Joe

Hello Paisan & thanx for the responce. I knew u would be the guy I would hear from as I see you & your vast knowledge all over the site. Your memory & your know how of the Oldsmobile line is amazing.. The letter that is stamped a little bit away from the numbers on the rear of the drivers side head looks like a G but could be a C, i was checking it through a telescopic mirror. Here is what i see on the head V488070 G OR C....This is my first OLds of any kind & I love it & i feel i got a great deal on it.. On my Cowl tag I also see some letters & numbers i just cant decode. On the left of the tag looking form the front of the car the last 2 lines are stamped WX & under that 4FC. I found the paint code & its spanish red & the interior is bright red with buckets & thats what i have..MY cowl tag starts at the top left & says O5B then to the right of that is an S. Under that in the next line is ST 67-338 67 LAN 6901. Under that on next line is 975-B to the right of that is the paint code R-1 which i think is Spanish Red. I don;t mean to be a pain but I just like knowing what I have. I appreciate all your time & help. Once I figure out how to put up pics I will Have a great day.....
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:45 PM

OOOPS did a little too much tech talk in the Intro section i guess by the sound of things. Sorry my A.D.D has its own way soemtimes.. Ill have to tighten up a bit .
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Belated welcome aboard.
Some info I can give you:
05B - build month and week (May, second week) - to know the day, you will need a build sheet or broadcast card
ST 67 - 1967 production year
33867 - V8 Cutlass convertible
Your Paint R - is spanish red
1 - is the color of your roof - white
Lan - Lansing production
6901 - body number
975 - trim color - Red with red bucket seats

The number you quoted before 397417 - 3 That's definitely a 67 330, but is that a 3 or a 2?

On the heads, any chance the numbers are 400370 D?
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Belated welcome aboard.
Some info I can give you:
05B - build month and week (May, second week) - to know the day, you will need a build sheet or broadcast card
ST 67 - 1967 production year
33867 - V8 Cutlass convertible
Your Paint R - is spanish red
1 - is the color of your roof - white
Lan - Lansing production
6901 - body number
975 - trim color - Red with red bucket seats

The number you quoted before 397417 - 3 That's definitely a 67 330, but is that a 3 or a 2?

On the heads, any chance the numbers are 400370 D?
The block is 394417 3.... The heads are V488070 G....Do u have anyidea what the WX & the 4FC stand for ? they are at the bottom left of the cowl tag looking from the front of the car.....Thanx
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 67cutlass67GS
The block is 394417 3.... The heads are V488070 G....Do u have anyidea what the WX & the 4FC stand for ? they are at the bottom left of the cowl tag looking from the front of the car.....Thanx
Ok, I just looked up and found the 394417 3 It simply means you have a 330 that was used in 66/67 and it has a 39° cam bank angle as opposed to earlier 330s with a 45° cam bank angle.

As far as the WX and 4FC, I'll take a stab at this, someone who is an expert on 66/67 will correct me if I'm wrong. They should be grouped in specific areas to indicate 'columns' of information from Fisher.
W - Tinted Windshield
X - Power windows

4 - I believe this just refers to 'column 4' of the data tag. Is this group immediately below the WX? Would help to see a pic of the cowl tag.
F - Remote Outside Mirror
C - Chrome window sill moldings

Does this sound like your car?

Heads - any chance you can post a pic that shows what you're asking? I just can't seem to find anything like that in any of the Olds sources. By any chance is it cast something like this where you're looking?

Here's some info to look at re: Heads. Do any of these number match anything on your heads?

Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:36 AM

Wow Allan thanx for the info & yes everything u mentionad is my car. PWR windows,remote mirrors etc. White top yes & tinted windshield. Im sure the glass has been changed but it is tinted.. I will look at the heads in the area your pic shows, the number i had found on the head was on the back part facing the the firewall drivers side. I didnt even know that there would be other numbers as your pics show. Well this is good it gives me a great reason to pop the hood on old Rosie & look for head numbers while drinking coffee...All of your help is greatly appreciated..I will also try to get some closer pics of these area's...I looked again & cleaned better. My numbers/letters may be a W instead of a V, the number now looks like 483070 & the end letter I think is a C that i thought was a G. very rusty & not stamped real deep, im also looking through a mirror. I appologize for the run around..Also at the number 1 & 8 cylinder there is a raised # 4.......Thanx for everyones time.

Last edited by 67cutlass67GS; May 22nd, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The raised 4 on the location you mention is consistent with the 67 397497 heads in the chart above... see if you can find that casting on them somewhere. Chances are (and you may not like to hear this) the head casting number is not readily visible, so I'll just quote this from the Oldsmobile tech section of Wild About Cars *Carl Sarpolis submission*
All small blocks have a large number in the same location, 1, 2, 3, etc. Olds heads also have a six digit casting number cast in one of two locations. Early heads had this number cast near the rocker arm assemblies which would require you to remove the valve cover to see it. Heads produced after 1969, including A, B, C and D heads, have the casting number on either side of the center bolt just below where the valve cover sits.
Glad to hear you are having fun with your car! We had a 67 Sedan and it was a great car to learn on. Your vert sounds absolutely amazing. Can hardly wait till you post some pics