The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

service engine light wont go out on 1987 cutlass supreme

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2013, 04:32 PM

service engine light wont go out on 1987 cutlass supreme

I have a 1987 cutlass supreme and I keep getting a code of 41 that will not go out. I have replaced the egr valve and the ecm box. Can anyone advise what they think the problem may be. I would greatly appreciate the help I really need this code to go away.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:19 PM

First of all, welcome to the site!
Second, is the check engine light staying lit?
If so, is this 41 the ONLY code to show? Check if 12 comes with it also.
Is this the 5.0L V8?
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
First of all, welcome to the site!
Second, is the check engine light staying lit?
If so, is this the ONLY code to show?
Thanks Rob,
Yes it is staying lit..and this is the only code showing..it has a 5.7L engine. I'm not sure what the disty is? Do you think a bad catalytic converter would have anything to do with this code? Also, another problem is that I nolonger can check my diagnostic code when I put paper clip in to check codes nothing happens.

Last edited by dorothyhill82; November 30th, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:45 PM

Code 41 alone means no distributor reference signal received intermittantly.
If code 12 was set also, it would be a constant issue.
Check the wiring/connector at the distributor for any obvious damage. Rodents love chewing wires... Check the connector for corrosion.

It could be caused by a faulty MAP or VAC sensor (the manifold vacuum sensor) thinking the engine should be running when it is not (code would be set when shut down).

It is possible the HEI module in the disty is bad if the rest check out okay.

The chassis service manual has a few pages of diagnostic procedures, but it boils down to the vacuum sensor or HEI module.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:50 PM

it has a 5.7L engine. I'm not sure what the disty is? Do you think a bad catalytic converter would have anything to do with this code? Also, another problem is that I nolonger can check my diagnostic code when I put paper clip in to check codes nothing happens.
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Disty is mechanics abbreviation of distributor - sorry for the confusion...
If this is the stock engine, it should be a 5.0L.
Manual and logic points nowhere near the cat converter for this code.
Strange how the code pulling stopped...
Unhook the battery and try pulling codes again. Make sure your paperclip is in the correct two holes. I stuck mine in the wrong corner of the connector once and scared the heck out of me when i thought all was dead!
If you are in the right place, disconnect and reconnect the battery. Otherwise, check the ECM fuses.
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM

Im having a hard timing locating the vac sensor can you tell me where this is located. Also I pulled Map sensor and the idle of car didn't change, should the idle of car change when I pull the MAP sensor.
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM

The MAP sensor is on the right side fenderwell. This is the manifold vacuum sensor for the V8.
It is not advisable to disconnect the actual sensor while the engine is running, to avoid possibly damaging any of the electronics.
However, you may disconnect the vacuum hose and see if anything changes. Make sure you have vacuum to that hose when engine running.
If you have a voltmeter, you might be able to do some tests like in the chassis manual. Do you have the manual?

If you clear the codes, how soon does the SES light come on?
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dorothyhill82
it has a 5.7L engine. I'm not sure what the disty is? Do you think a bad catalytic converter would have anything to do with this code? Also, another problem is that I nolonger can check my diagnostic code when I put paper clip in to check codes nothing happens.
First, a 5.7 liter engine was not factory available in this car. Is this an engine swap or are you mistaken? Kinda hard to help unless we have the details of your specific vehicle.
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:33 PM

My engine size is a 5.0L . But I took the car to the shop and was told to replace the carburetor. So my question is if I change to an edelbrock, what CFM carburetor should I go with to get the best performance and fuel efficiency for a 1987 cutlass supreme with a 307.
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM

The 5.0 is the Olds 307.
You cannot go to an aftermarket carb and stay on the computer. The carb is computer controlled.
If you go off the computer, wou will need to replace the carb and the disty, as both are computer controlled.
It also needs other work done that most mechanics will not mess with.

Since the code is ignition related, why did they recommend replacing the carb??

What you need is the factory service manual and a mechanic who will use it and troubleshoot the problem as in the manual.
I can post those pages if you think your mechanic will use them.
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Yes can you please post the pages. Can you tell me what other work would have to be done if I change the Carb. Are you able to give me some alternative suggestions so that I can get better performance and horsepower without having to disconnect my computer.
Old December 25th, 2013, 08:30 AM

i had that problem code 41. ports on bottom of carb was plugged with 25 years worth of crud.
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by dorothyhill82
I have a 1987 cutlass supreme and I keep getting a code of 41 that will not go out. I would greatly appreciate the help I really need this code to go away.
I would lean toward removing the bulb from the Check Engine light.
Voila', no known problems.
If it fails to run well, then you can put a bulb in and worry about diagnostics.

My 99 Caravan started some crap after it was 2 yrs old. Ran fine, but the SES lite was on. Store suggested I start buying $100 parts until the offending part was replaced. I put tape over the light because dismantling the dash seemed like too much work. It is now 10 yrs later. The thing still runs fine. The tape still covers the light. Granted, not all issues are this easy to ignore, but I assert that not all issues NEEEEEED to be fixed to the computer's desire, either.
Old December 25th, 2013, 05:13 PM

This is why I hate computers when they and all of the electronics get old. Can't wait for the newer one's in years to come! Maybe I won't still be around and have to worry about it! JMO