The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Russ

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2011 | 11:16 AM

Russ

Hello, I'm new to Classic Oldsmobile. Signed up a few days ago. I own a 1965 Starfire Convertible. This was my first new car. I bought it new in February '65, drove it 10 years and put it away in my Dad's garage. It sat there for about 30 years. Goy it back on the road about 5 years ago. Last year I decided restore it. Have done nothing with the engine. I'm debating whether to rebuild it or just leave it and put new seals in it. I'd appreciate any and all opinons on this.
Glad I found the web site. I'm sure it'll be very beneficial as I go through the restoration.
Russ
Old November 27th, 2011 | 11:32 AM

Welcome to the site Russ! It sounds like you have a cool project car with a great story on its history. Please post pictures when you have time! John
Old November 27th, 2011 | 11:37 AM

Welcome aboard

X 2 on posting pics
Old November 27th, 2011 | 11:56 AM

Welcome to CO

Sounds like a time machine to me. Best of luck in your restoration

X3 on the pictures
Old November 27th, 2011 | 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome Russ.
That's an age old debate you've got there. My opinion FWIW is that if you're going to put in new seals? You have the engine apart to do that, so you may as well go all the way. How many miles on it? If it's been sitting for 30 years and you just started driving it again 5years ago, I'd almost bet you're seeing oil drips under the car.

I'm in a similar situation with mine , so I decided a rebuild is in order next spring. I have 120K on mine. Compression is down, it leaks but starts and runs nicely! Have to look past the surface to what the engine really needs. Suggest you do a compression test on it to see how it weathered the years.