The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Repro Radios

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:56 AM

Post Repro Radios

Redoing a 56 88. I see that someone offers repro radios like a Wonderbar, but they show them for 55-57 Chevy's and early 60's Vettes. Anyone know if one of these will fit the Olds??? Thanks guys.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I looked in an old Hemmings and there were several ads for repro radios and a few will custom build your old one for you.
Pick up a copy and I'm sure you will find someone who will have what you need. I haven't given any details as my copy is from '07, it's probably not up to date anymore.

Roger.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the post, Roger. I did find a couple of outfits that would rebuild an old radio, but what I'm really looking for is something that'll turn a cd. AM radio is dead around here, at least for anything worth listening to music-wise. -Still, I do desire the dash to look original, but with something more modern inside. Again, thanks for the lead to Hemmings. I actually have an on-line subscription with them. I'll go there for a look-see.
Millo
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:57 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I think you will find someone who will build an original looking system that will play cds, maybe a flip down front.

You have not much am radio over there, over here it is limited to a few "oldie" stations. Not only that but fm will soon be a thing of the past, in south Wales and other parts of Britain the fm signal is history, and in south east England we are scheduled to lose fm in 2014, want to listen to the news while in your car?, get a DAB enabled radio or forget it!. Are there similar plans afoot in the USA?.

Roger.
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:44 PM

They should fit, no problem.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:41 AM

I haven't heard of any plans to abolish FM broadcast. In fact, it would be a difficult thiing. Too many stations here to consider. {Didn't realize to be conversing with Britain. How cool!}

I think to get some measurements before picking up anything offered for a Chevrolet, just in case the face plates don't match up. The folks I talked to were extremely un-salesman wise, and more than a bit rude. They offered no help at all, not even a measurement of a Wonderbar unit off their shelf. For $700+, I would expect at least a number. I mean, come on, it's a 30 second procedure. They did offer me a pdf, which then gave zero dimensions to do with installation, etc... I hate now even to spend my money with them.

Thanks Gents.

Anyone check out what we're doing here with this '56'? I have to update the photos. There's been some progress. Stock she'll never be again.

Later...