The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Panama City, FL-1968 Olds Delmont vert

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:19 PM

Panama City, FL-1968 Olds Delmont vert

Hi from Panama City, FL. I am restoring a 1968 Olds Delmont convertible, 455 big block, White over Black. I purchased her about a year ago from an older gentleman from my church when the control arm bracket rusted and tore away from the frame.He did not want to fix it and was discouraged by the difficulty of the repair. Nobody really wanted to fix it so being a gear-head, I knew it could be fixed but it would take some effort… It has lived the last year on blocks about 3’ in the air as I’ve been slowly fabricating and welding on the chassis, doing some work on the rusty holed bumper, and I have sanded the body down and sprayed it in primer.I will later complete the bodywork and re-spray it in Pearl White. She has a new top and some tires on 15” Mags. The 455 was running but not great when I got her. With 72K gentleman miles, it hasn’t been ragged on and appears to have been regularly maintained. The carb was replaced in the past with a cheapo that’ll need rebuild or more likely, replaced with a Holley. Any thoughts on using a universal efi like an MSD atomic efi?
Looking forward to meeting some good folks here!
Scott Baldwin
“Dabald”
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:22 PM
Senior Moment Member

Welcome to the site. Pictures please!
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:55 PM

I am attaching, well trying to, pictures...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oldsmobile Delmont.jpg (92.0 KB, 25 views)
Oldsmobile Delmont Side.jpg (117.6 KB, 26 views)
Oldsmobile Delmont front.jpg (62.3 KB, 24 views)
455 Big Block.jpg (64.4 KB, 19 views)
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:03 PM

68 Delmont Convertible

Originally Posted by dabald
Welcome, I'd say you did good in all respects. A decent looking Delmont, its worth the effort. Re. the carburetor, Why not use a Quadrajet? The donor car for my 455 was a 68 Delmont w/ 2 bbl but I changed it to QJet which was what Olds put on them the factory 4 bbl cars. I think the correct number is 7028251 RJG7 for 1968 455. I used the Edelbrock Performer #2151 intake. If you want a factory 4bbl intake I'm sure some member has one they'd part with.
Keep on posting as you make progress.
Jerry
ps. I'm wondering how a Florida car rusts out. Salt air from the Ocean? or did it come south with the owner when he retired?
Old April 4th, 2015, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Scott. It's nice to see some more of the big girls running around.
Old April 4th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Rust came from...

The previous owner lived up north. I am the third owner. The first owner used the cars on Sundays and parades. When he passed away, his daughter and husband acquired the car from his estate. That is the couple I acquired the car from. They are in their 70's and the repair was too much for him to undertake. Since the convertibles had a boxed frame it held the salt and rusted. The folks I bought it from had it here in North Florida for a considerable time so the salt and subsequent rust began early in the cars life...
Thanks for the tip on looking here for a stock Quadrajet!