The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Open to suggestions

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2021, 03:42 PM

Talking Open to suggestions

Hi! Want to introduce myself. I'm Glenda, the daughter of an "Oldsmobile" car guy... We just had to place my dad into a care home due to dementia. We have 5 acres of cars, parts & pieces to sell and items from a speedometer shop with lots of parts to fix speedometers (or replace) from the classics. I'm open to suggestions on the best place to get prices for the items and the best place to sell these items, which I'm wondering if that's here on Classic Oldsmobile. Feeling a little overwhelmed, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be most helpful.
Old November 28th, 2021, 03:47 PM

You might want to take to an auctioneer that specializes in selling auto stuff. I see these type of collections sold in Hemmings Motor News magazine.
Old November 28th, 2021, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sorry about your dad. You can place ads in our classified section, but if you have a lot of stuff it would take a long while to get rid of it. There are a few people that buy large lots of parts.
Old November 28th, 2021, 07:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

What part of the county are you in and are most of the parts for Oldsmobiles? If you have five acres you will need somebody to help you with a sale. Some pictures would give us an idea of what you have.
Old November 28th, 2021, 07:36 PM

Glenda sorry to hear that your father has dementia. It may help for you to post a location, hopefully a member here would be nearby and would be able to help you.
Old November 28th, 2021, 08:06 PM
Banned

Absolutely sorry to hear about your rough goings right now first off. That is not easy.

I think it would a good start to let people know what part of the country you are in. We all know people all over this country. It would be really helpful for you to have someone you could trust. Maybe if we knew where you live we could help you with someone like that. Be aware of leaches that may want to come look and raid the good stuff. Sorry to bring that up but in this day and age it is important to remember. Good luck with everything. Thoughts and Prayers for you and your family.
Old November 29th, 2021, 06:36 AM

Good morning Glenda. We may have already talked, I think I met you and your family a couple months ago when you had a Toronado for sale. If you have the time looking here, on facebook and on ebay are good places to see what things have been selling for. But be sure your viewing the sale prices, not asking prices. The finished cars will be the easiest to sell and will bring the highest value. I'd encourage you to start with those. Then you can make some good progress which will be encouraging. Next sell the project/parts cars. They will be a little harder to sell as shipping costs may limit the sales to more locally. Lastly consider your Dad's shop with parts, supplies and tools. By then you may be ready to just be done. If so you can sell them as a package to someone that will re-sell the parts. Yes, I'm sure it's a little overwhelming right now. I think creating a plan that focuses on portions of your Dads collection can break it down into bite sized pieces and take some of the pressure off. John