The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Only stupid Question, is the one you don't ask.

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Only stupid Question, is the one you don't ask.

Recent convert to Oldsmobile(s).[previously a Chevy Guy-mainly A-Bodies]
I just bought a 1964 2-door Cutlass 330 w/2-speed automatic. It is what I would call a "Post" car. While searching for information and photographs of 2-doors, I've run across the terms "Sport Coupe", "Club Coupe" and "Holiday Coupe". Can someone explain the differences in the coupes? -Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Trying to remember member

Bear in mind that the answer in part can vary by year, but you asked about '64, so here are '64 specific answers. Speaking only of 2-doors here, too.
We are talking about different models.
The F-85 series is comprised of F-85 (more basic) models and Cutlass (more deluxe) models.
The F-85 models are Club Coupes, there is a V6 Club Coupe model and a V8 Club Coupe model (post cars).
The Cutlass has the Sports Coupe model (post car) and Holiday Coupe model (pillar-less hardtop). And there is the Cutlass Convertible model.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 64 Cutlass
Recent convert to Oldsmobile(s).[previously a Chevy Guy-mainly A-Bodies]
I just bought a 1964 2-door Cutlass 330 w/2-speed automatic. It is what I would call a "Post" car. While searching for information and photographs of 2-doors, I've run across the terms "Sport Coupe", "Club Coupe" and "Holiday Coupe". Can someone explain the differences in the coupes? -Thanks!
2 doors, no center post:Holiday Coupe
2 doors, center post: Sports Coupe (F-85 Club Coupe)
4 doors, no center post: Holiday Sedan
4 doors, center post: Town Sedan

If this is incorrect, I welcome anyone with a better answer to respond.

Les
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Nice to see another convert to the Olds family of fine cars, any other questions you have concerning Olds ask away this is the Olds house of knowledge.
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM

"The Cutlass has the Sports Coupe model (post car)", so I guess thats what I have. Thanks for the info. My car has bucket seats with no console?(it's column shift) Is that normal? The interior was probably really nice when it was new, a combination of cloth & vinyl(it needs work now,after 45 yrs!)
Thanks Again - Dan
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM

The model number (on the firewall data plate) will confirm the model.
Depends what you mean by normal. Can if come from the factory that way?
Yes!
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
The F-85 series is comprised of F-85 (more basic) models and Cutlass (more deluxe) models.
Ah, this brings us to one of my most favorite Oldsmobile trivia questions.

We all know what was the first year for the F-85 and Cutlass, right? The F-85 came out in 1961, the first Cutlass was in 1962, and it was not its own series but instead was an option package of the F-85.

Now for the question.

What was that option package? In other words, what made one '62 F-85 just an F-85 but another '62 F-85 into a Cutlass?
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM

check out that trailer hitch!
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Registered Luser

Nice lookin' ride! He must have been doing a lot of pulling with a hitch like that and the placement of the mirror! Find out what gears it has...
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Ah, this brings us to one of my most favorite Oldsmobile trivia questions.
We all know what was the first year for the F-85 and Cutlass, right? The F-85 came out in 1961, the first Cutlass was in 1962, and it was not its own series but instead was an option package of the F-85. Now for the question.
What was that option package? In other words, what made one '62 F-85 just an F-85 but another '62 F-85 into a Cutlass?
I know! I won't spoil it for others yet, but I will say it was the first.......
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Past Administrator

trivia, not my strong suite but I will say wheel covers and arm rests on the inside of the rear seating compartment.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM

I know! I won't spoil it for others yet, but I will say it was the first.......
I wonder if my answer is the same as yours!
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
trivia, not my strong suite but I will say wheel covers and arm rests on the inside of the rear seating compartment.
Not according to my information. But thanks for taking a guess.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Nice lookin' ride! He must have been doing a lot of pulling with a hitch like that and the placement of the mirror! Find out what gears it has...
My father bought a '64 Cutlass convertible, yellow with a black interior and a white top, new in 1964. I was 7 years old. Our family went on a camping trip with that car, and we pulled a trailer, so my dad did have a hitch put on it. As I recall, we had no trouble pulling the thing.

By the way, about 15 years later, I tried to track that car down as I thought it would be fun to reacquire it, fix it up if it needed anything, and drive it. My father gave the car to his mother (imagine, a then 69 year-old-widow driving around in a car like that) in 1968. That much I knew. It didn't take me long to find out that, a couple of years later, my cousin was driving it and was rear-ended by a dump truck while waiting to make a left turn. He survived just fine, but the car was totaled. Oh well, it would have been fun to resurrect it, but it was not to be.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:52 AM

I wonder if my answer is the same as yours!
We shouldn't be hijacking this thread, Jaunty75 please start it as a new one under "General".
My apologies, 64Cutlass!
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM

I don't think this is hijacking this thread. His very first question asks about the differences in the various Cutlass models. My trivia question is about differences in the Cutlass models. I think it's very relevant. Plus, it'll be over in about 5 seconds, too!
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM

"arm rests on the inside of the rear seating compartment." that's gonna mess with me finding a back-seat frame for my car isn't it?
I don't care if you Hi-Jack the thread, if I learn something!(what's the answer?)
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM

The answer I had was bucket seats. An F-85 with bucket seats made it a Cutlass in 1962.
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM

The answer I had was bucket seats. An F-85 with bucket seats made it a Cutlass in 1962.
Well technically, no. Bucket seats were not an option (not available) on F-85s. You got them if you got the Cutlass, not the other way around. And that was true though at least '67, I believe, so it doesn't apply just to 1962s.

What I thought you were fishing for was that the '62 Cutlass was the first "W" car, RPO code W1.
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 64 Cutlass
"arm rests on the inside of the rear seating compartment." that's gonna mess with me finding a back-seat frame for my car isn't it?
I don't care if you Hi-Jack the thread, if I learn something!(what's the answer?)
Not sure if it would or not. was just taking a stab at it. Some models were so plain vanilla - stripped down they did not even have arm rests or carpet, stuff like that.
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Well technically, no. Bucket seats were not an option (not available) on F-85s. You got them if you got the Cutlass, not the other way around. And that was true though at least '67, I believe, so it doesn't apply just to 1962s.
I thought this is what I said. If an F-85 had bucket seats, it was a Cutlass. If I ordered a Cutlass, I got bucket seats. If I wanted bucket seats, I had to have a Cutlass. I'm not quite sure how I've got it backwards.

It certainly was true for later years I'm sure. I was just talking about the first Cutlasses.

Another minor piece of early Cutlass trivia: the Cutlass was not introduced by Oldsmobile until the middle of the '62 model year.
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM

I did not know all that Cutlass, F-85 information. I recently towed one out of a farmers field recently and it all makes sense.

It is a 1962 Oldsmobile F-85 Cutlass convertible, with bucket seats and rear seat arm rests. The firewall placard says it was produced the 4th week of November in 1962 in South Port, CA.

Information is correct.....
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM

I thought this is what I said. If an F-85 had bucket seats, it was a Cutlass. If I ordered a Cutlass, I got bucket seats. If I wanted bucket seats, I had to have a Cutlass. I'm not quite sure how I've got it backwards.

It certainly was true for later years I'm sure. I was just talking about the first Cutlasses.

Another minor piece of early Cutlass trivia: the Cutlass was not introduced by Oldsmobile until the middle of the '62 model year.

Funny, I just had this discussion at the OCC show on Sunday. A guy who had a 64 F-85 Deluxe hardtop asked me what you got if you stepped up to the Cutlass package like I had. I knew most of what you got, but for some reason I thought there were trim differences outside. He told me his had all the same as mine. This was after he told me that Oldsmobile never made a Cutlass Sport Coupe (even though he was looking at one). He said they only made Cutlass convertibles and Hardtops so who knows.. :-)
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1964CutlassSC
Funny, I just had this discussion at the OCC show on Sunday. A guy who had a 64 F-85 Deluxe hardtop asked me what you got if you stepped up to the Cutlass package like I had. I knew most of what you got, but for some reason I thought there were trim differences outside. He told me his had all the same as mine.
I'm sure the business about Cutlass meaning bucket seats was strictly true only early on. By 1964, it had probably come to mean just a more generally better-appointed car. More chrome, still bucket seats, probably, who knows what else. Certainly the convertible version was available only as a Cutlass that year.
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I'm sure the business about Cutlass meaning bucket seats was strictly true only early on. By 1964, it had probably come to mean just a more generally better-appointed car. More chrome, still bucket seats, probably, who knows what else. Certainly the convertible version was available only as a Cutlass that year.
Exactly. I told him I wasn't sure 100% on the differences but told him what I thought was different based on the 64 F-85s I have seen.
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM

No, even in '62, a Cutlass was an "upscale" model to the F85, and *among other things* included bucket seats. Cutlass means more than bucket seats!

Personally, I think the best way to tell a Cutlass is that it says "Cutlass" on it!