The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

oldstoro66

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM

oldstoro66

Joined 7-9 mos.ago, just getting back. I have a 66 Toronado,mysecond. Purchased it in 2003,and Dad & I have been tinkering,replacing parts,etc... and still enjoy the ride!! Currently I am replacing the A/C pump and most components,and also the Chain & gears. The car had spent some time in Calif. so it is a bit sluggish(emissions)I'm using a 3 keyed gear and plan to go w/the +4 advance on the sprocket. Any suggestions pro or con? Thanks for reading!
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldstoro66
Joined 7-9 mos.ago, just getting back. I have a 66 Toronado,mysecond. Purchased it in 2003,and Dad & I have been tinkering,replacing parts,etc... and still enjoy the ride!! Currently I am replacing the A/C pump and most components,and also the Chain & gears. The car had spent some time in Calif. so it is a bit sluggish(emissions)I'm using a 3 keyed gear and plan to go w/the +4 advance on the sprocket. Any suggestions pro or con? Thanks for reading!
Welcome. The only emissions equipment on a 1966 Olds from Calif would be the A.I.R. system and the state-mandated retrofit NOx device if it's still there. The A.I.R. affect on HP is negligible. The NOx device disables the vacuum advance and will cause a loss of responsiveness at low speeds.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:32 PM

Thanks Joe! My toro has an air pump,EGR set-up and HAD a vacuum retarder inline. Am going to end the egr system at the steel pipe that the head tubes lead into.Just (2) pipes to crimp instead of 8 Has heads that are light green to say the least. EGR tubes,big B on each head.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe! My toro has an air pump,EGR set-up and HAD a vacuum retarder inline. Am going to end the egr system at the steel pipe that the head tubes lead into.Just (2) pipes to crimp instead of 8 Has heads that are light green to say the least. EGR tubes,big B on each head.
OK, just so we're all clear, your car does not have EGR. It has A.I.R., which stands for Air Injection Reactor, sometimes called a "smog pump". The purpose of EGR is to inject exhaust gas back into the intake to cool the combustion process to reduce NOx emissions. The purpose of A.I.R. is to inject fresh air into the exhaust ports to help oxidize any remaining unburned hydrocarbons to reduce HC emissions.

I strongly suggest that rather than crimping the tubes (which are a somewhat rare part these days), remove the tubes at the cylinder head using the flare nuts and install steel flare nut plugs. These are not pipe thread holes, they are inverted flares like brake line fittings. Here's one source of the plugs, though any well-stocked auto parts store should have them.

http://www.valleyhydraulic.com/store...-Plug-c117.htm
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:01 PM

I will do that. I can take suggestions very well. Thank you, Joe. And to think all these years i've called them an air pump. Well "technically" it is. Only it's an A.I.R. pump......Is it a good thing to leave the A.I.R. in place and still do away with the timing retarder?
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

I will do that. I can take suggestions very well. Thank you, Joe. And to think all these years i've called them an air pump. Well "technically" it is. Only it's an A.I.R. pump......Is it a good thing to leave the A.I.R. in place and still do away with the timing retarder?
The two are unrelated. Definitely pitch the NOx device - no good will come from leaving it installed. Retention of the A.I.R. system is up to you. If you want the car to be completely correct, leave it. If not, engine maintenance is much easier without it.