The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

oldsrestorer50

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2014, 06:09 PM

oldsrestorer50

Hi, I'm Roy and I am from India. My family owned a '56 Olds Super 88 4 door sedan which was lying in the garage for the past 30 years. I have taken it out of storage and reconditioned it to the best of my ability maintaining the original parts bought from Fusick, Kanter, Rock Auto etc.

Now I need to replace the front shock absorbers. Could someone tell me the length when the shockabsorber is fully extended? This would help me source one within India as importing these is a costly affair!

Most grateful for any help I can get.
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Roy. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will help you with an answer to your question. In the meantime post some pictures.
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Welcome aboard. Although I have installed a quite a few original shocks on my 55 throughout the years but I'm sorry I never took the time or had the need to measure them.you might Email or call the manufacturer and see if they will give you that information or where you can maybe purchase their product locally in your area.

When you get a chance please post a few pictures and the story behind how your Oldsmobile got to India.....Tedd
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I did not know the 56 had tubular shocks on the front. My 54 still has the knee action shocks. I know a lot of changes were made for 56 and this must be one of them. Sorry I can't help.
Old October 26th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Phantom Phixer

Here's the specs on the 56 Olds front shocks;
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...358&cc=1435711