The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Oldsdesertmobile

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Oldsdesertmobile

Found this 65 Dynamic 88 at a yard sale. They let me have it for free if I could move it. You'd be surprised how strong you can become when the price is rite. This car is almost complete. All the trim is in the trunk. Main missing item is the title and key. Got it home easy enough, then to the locksmith. Next a battery and will try to turn it over. It has a big V8 with a 2 barrel carb. Is this worth fixing up? Or should I part it out. It could easily become like a boat- a hole in the water in to which you throw money. One thing about it most old cars can't say, is it has no rusty holes. It's been in Nevada all this time. The minor surface rust is from some knucklehead sanding on it with fine sand paper. 1 window was part way down for a couple years, so it's got a fine layer of protective dust and sand inside. A tell tale bottle of motor honey was found in the truck. Maybe this is a global warming hazardmobile. Will know when I get it started. Will keep you posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
65 olds 001 (2).jpg (75.6 KB, 64 views)
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:09 PM

If you love the car fix it.....when done you will have more $$ into it than you can sell it for. If you are not in love with it sell it or part it out.
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! What a deal, huh? Free! I would say fix it up. Save another Olds!! I've seen worse looking cars. I suppose it depends on what you want to do - if you have the time and money, and want to invest it in a classic. It's something you have to have a desire to do...... Our cars are always wanting something, or we're always wanting them to have something, and it costs! But everything doesn't have to be done at once! I think this would be a good project!

I hope you're changing oil & such before trying to start her!
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM

If it's solid and mostly complete you might try selling it whole before dismantling it. John
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Past Administrator

Very, very nice car for the price. I would say make it road worthy and drive it. If you fall in love with it then keep it and fix it up nice. If you don't you can sell it more readily since it would be a driver. Welcome to CO.
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:45 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Great find.

Keep us posted of what your plans are
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Being complete and having no rust or major collision damage will make this a fine candidate for restoration. It will need a paint job, brake service, and possibly a motor rebuild, and maybe suspension bushings and tires.
There are not too many of these cars seen at shows, so if fixed up, it will attract some good attention. It would be best made into a driver or maybe more.
Start with making it safe to drive under its own power and somewhat reliable and take it from there.
I would discourage parting it out. The starting price was nothing, so most of what you put into it could be gotten back.
Most who would like to buy a project car would at least like for it to be somewhat drivable.
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM

first things first

With out a doubt the first thing I would do would be to get the title in my name. I wouldn't dump any money in a car till I knew if I could own it and or how much it would cost to do same.I don't know about your state but in mine (Cal.) the DMV costs can bankrupt you in back fees. I dont want to rain on your parade but there are reasons why things sometimes seem free but arn't.Other than that ,great looking car ,best of luck getting it on the road again...Tedd