The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Old member reintroducing myself

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2016, 07:05 PM
1968 Oldsmobile 442

Old member reintroducing myself

Hello all, I joined the site six years ago but quickly sold my 68 cutlass do to a life change. I researched and came across a 68 442 and knew that I had to have one. Fast forward six years later and I just purchased a 68 442 4 speed that is almost complete. I found it at a shop in Southern California where the previous owner suddenly passed while the car was having some work done. Not an ideal circumstance but it has a freshly rebuilt 400 with an edelbroc intake and headers. It has a 4 spd trans with a hurst shifter, brand new hostchkins suspension, magma flow exhaust and rebuilt rearend.
The car has no rust and the body work was already completed. The paint could use a touch up but I plan on driving this quite often. What I will need help with is putting the interior back together the inside has had dynamat added but will need the new interior kit installed. The brakes will also need to be redone to go along with all the other upgrades. I'm hoping it will not take me too long to be road ready. Thanks in advance to anyone who has tips and will reach out. It's been a while since I worked on one of these.

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (214.7 KB, 45 views)
Old March 11th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Welcome back, there are plenty of people to help you along the way. Just post your questions in the appropriate forums and/or start a build thread. Congrats on your new project.
Old March 11th, 2016, 07:47 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Welcome. Ask away on your 68. A couple of companies are doing interiors correctly. Year One and Fusick have quality stuff. Legendary could supply these guys so try goin directly at Legendary.
There are some subtle differences through out the 68 run, early vs late builds and which factory produced it. Toss out the tag numbers off the cowl tag and the first 7 of the vin we can tell you what it was from the factory.
If you can, Id contact the original owners estate to see if you can locate any of the original and possibly date coded parts for your car as you or the next owner may want them at some point and now is the time to obtain them.
Old March 11th, 2016, 09:36 PM

Good looking car, and the W36 stripe is correctly located.
Old March 12th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Nice car. Welcome back to the fold.
Old March 12th, 2016, 10:18 AM
1968 Oldsmobile 442

Thanks everyone. I'm having the car shipped to my house in Phoenix now so I will be posting pics as I get it completely back together. The amount of interior parts that need to go back in seems a bit overwhelming but I'm excited to get going on it. The guy had everything redone or ordered brand new so I just need to put it all together.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:49 PM
1968 Oldsmobile 442

I live in The Phoenix area. I was looking at joining the local Olds club. Any members on here? I also am new to restoring so I want to make sure that I am going about this the right way. I don't want to send it to a shop as I have done before. It takes the fun out of it. Thanks in advance.

Jason