The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Oil and fuel for my 1951 Olds

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2019, 06:49 PM

Oil and fuel for my 1951 Olds

Distracted newbie here from Houston, I have not been on your site for some time as I have too many irons in the fire.
My most basic question:
What is the best oil and fuel for this engine? According to the manual SAE30, but I presume that we have better stuff for an old engine now. There is a long thread on Valvoline VR1 20W-50 with its added zinc and dozens of posts about various fuel additives and octane boosters - Marvel Mystery Oil, Red Line 60202, Rotella and Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubrication and Fuel Conditioner. I know there are lots of opinions and no hard science on one additive over another, so perhaps advice on what NOT to do to hurt my engine is what I am asking for

Five of my favourite and most demanding women
. I am presently using premium fuel with the previous owner's CD-2 lead substitute; I have a buddy who uses Octane Supreme with lots of real lead. I have not yet done my first oil change - it is a clear gold on the dipstick so I have not been in a hurry. That's all for now; thank you!
Andrew
Old May 12th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Great picture. I use Valvoline 10W30 VR1 Racing Oil in my 54. I use 89 Octane gas and add Sta-Bil for the ethanol. In my opinion you don't need premium fuel or octane boosters. Keep in mind the engine probably has a compression ratio of 8.5 to 1. I did run 87 octane once and it pinged but runs fine on 89 octane. Unless you are running at high RPM for sustained periods you will probably never burn a valve seat. That is my 2 cents.
Old May 12th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Thanks, Red; I have even been to Rowlett many moons ago......... I see the annual Olds convention is in your part of the woods in 2 weeks - unfortunately I will not be able to make it.
Andrew
Old May 12th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Nice picture. To be honest, if you read one long oil thread, it covers all the others. The suggestions are usually repeated over and over. As Glenn stated above, 10w30 VR1 has everything you need to keep your flat tappet cam happy and there is no need for fuel additives other than Stabil if your going to let the car sit for a while.
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:45 PM

I'm a Rotella T 15- 40 user and it works for me. It has the correct ZDDP and I like the detergent properties it contains, Keeps my lifters quiet and me happy. I use almost always 87 octane fuel and I have no issues with pinging. Your cars timing may be different so just try it and see. This isn't a race engine and should be very tolerant of what it ingests.

There are as many opinions on oil as there are oils to use. Just keep with products that contain ZDDP out of the can and you will be good to go many miles. Just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it..... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 15th, 2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:09 AM

Fuel: Use the lowest octane that doesn't knock or ping. You probably don't need any additives except for Stabil if the fuel will be in the tank for a long time. If non-ethanol is available it should be preferred. Learn how to "read" your spark plugs. They can provide clues.

Engine oil: Use a quality oil that contains sufficient additive(s) for the flat tappets. If it is deficient, add some. Some people like synthetics, but they are probably not needed. As far as viscosity goes, consider your ambient & engine operating temperatures, driving conditions and engine wear. Houston gets hot in the summer; same as my environment. I've been using 15W-50 or 20W-50 all year in my '55. The manuals say that 20W-50 is O.K. down to +20F. It never gets that cold where I live any more.
Old May 13th, 2019, 05:21 AM

Love the car and the pic with the kids- making good memories! No one has mentioned, and I am sure it isn't a issue after all these years, but I will mention this. My Dad talked about many years ago how the new fangled detergent oil came out back in the 50's. People who had older cars that had been using non-detergent oils would change their oil with the new detergent oil and clean up all the crud that was sealing up the rings.etc, and start burning oil. Have fun with your Olds!
Old May 13th, 2019, 07:45 PM

Thanks to all of you for your responses. While I am on a roll I need to post a little background and prioritise my next questions. The car was stalling, and en route to solving it, I had the gas tank replaced, fuel/vacuum pump rebuilt, a pressure regulator installed, and the carb rebuilt. "Lucille" now drives fine, but makes black sooty smoke which she did not do before. She is not burning oil, and I am told that she is running too rich. How and where do I adjust the carb? She has a/c and as it is she gets a little unsteady when I am stopped with the a/c on....
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:57 PM

I'm assuming that your AC is aftermarket unit and you have a Rochester 2gc carb (though it could be a Carter) And not much else has been change. This may help if we are on the same page...... Tedd....https://itstillruns.com/adjust-roche...r-4760945.html
Old May 15th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Thanks so much Tedd, I have the CARbureTER 4 barrel and will look on youtube for a carter-specific movie but any link u fond would be appreciated too - as you see I am a total novice. Andrew