The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newby 62 starfire conv

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:42 PM

Newby 62 starfire conv

Got this about a year ago starting to restore engine out trans is all redone,engine is in mach shop having trouble with some rust issues and finding rear lower repair panels and other parts thanks
Old January 4th, 2018, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, we do like pictures. Post a list of items you need in the Parts Wanted classified section.
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome! Yeah, pics and details of your project.

Pretty active forum here and lots of information so you came to the right place. Lots of helpful folks on here, I've been a member for about a year and a half and I've bought parts from members here and gotten help with questions and finding obscure parts.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldpac62
Got this about a year ago starting to restore engine out trans is all redone,engine is in mach shop having trouble with some rust issues and finding rear lower repair panels and other parts thanks
Welcome. You'll find precious little in the way of repro patch panels for these cars. Good used original sheet metal is about your only option. The body is the same as that on any 1962 Olds Eighty Eight convertible. Good luck.
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:51 AM

Repair panels for the 62 Starfire are non-existent but depending on the patch panel you need the sheet metal on all full size 62's can be cut and used. The 98 is longer in front of the rear wheel well. The trunk drops are the same and the rear tail light panel on the 98 is the same. The doors work off all 2 doors and are the same from the 61. The front fenders are all the same except for trim holes. Front bumper and rears are the same on all 88 models except rear on wagon. There is a lot of cross over but your best bet is a doner 88.
Is your car a coupe or convertible?
Steve
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
Repair panels for the 62 Starfire are non-existent but depending on the patch panel you need the sheet metal on all full size 62's can be cut and used. The 98 is longer in front of the rear wheel well. The trunk drops are the same and the rear tail light panel on the 98 is the same. The doors work off all 2 doors and are the same from the 61. The front fenders are all the same except for trim holes. Front bumper and rears are the same on all 88 models except rear on wagon. There is a lot of cross over but your best bet is a doner 88.
Is your car a coupe or convertible?
Steve
my 62 is a convertible ,the rust is not so bad but I have to replace right rear lower pass side behind wheel the inner panel on right side in front and rear of wheel ,I think it sat for awhile floor pans bad and a lot of rust cover underneath ,I will post pic, later thank you
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:45 AM

Welcome to the site and good luck. The pics will be nice to see.
Ralph
Old January 4th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Welcome and congratulations on your good taste in big Oldsmobiles. Lets see some photos!