The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Norway

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:34 AM

Wink Newbie from Norway

Hi been looking around the forums for a while and tought it was time to introduce myself and my car.

I am 21 year old guy from Norway and I have a really sweet 1976 Cutlass Supreme with the 350 V8, purchased the car in Florida a little over a year ago when I had just moved to the US to work in Disney World for a year, just got back to Norway over a month ago. Drove the car in FL for just 2 months, I had planned to drive it all year, but felt the car was too nice and too few miles on it to use as a daily driver so I bought a 93 Lincoln Town Car (later replaced by a 77 Coupe Deville, long story) and put the Cutlass in storage until I sent it to Norway in April 2013. It is now safely in our garage where Ill try to take as good care of it as I can. Still have alot of things that needs fixing before I can get plates and registration for it, but I hope I can get some tips and knowlege here so that my baby is ready for the summer.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Welcome, we have a few members from around your part of the world.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM

Welcome to CO

Looks like a nice ride. You'll find lots of help here and there is lots of information in the forums that you can access with the search function
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:40 PM

Welcome aboard! There are quite a few Scandinavians in this group.
That nice big car will certainly stand out over there in the sea of compacts; just don't squash one accidentally!
Enjoy it now before the snows fall...
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:21 PM

Nice car Welcome to CO.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice car, post your questions and we'll help the best we can.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM

Thanks guys!

The search tool is very useful indeed, allready got lots of good info around here.

My car is pretty much bone stock original exept for a new windshield washer motor, lol. Interior platics around windows and roof is crumbling/cracking, but leather seats and dash are like new. Underneath the car the floorpans are super nice, but the exhaust is awfull, rusted and full of small holes, however I want to upgrade to a dual exhaust that makes a mean sound (any suggestions?). The frame looks okay, but has alot of surface type patina/rust. Engine bay looks pretty sweet tough. Some time I'm gonna completly rid the car of rust and cover it with rust proofing stuff when I got the cash to do so, but for now I'm gonna concentrate on fixing what is broken and making sure it runs good, making improvements one step at the time.

Currently having some issues with my Cutlass, the car gets hot fast and my tranny is leaking and SLOoooow to shift and jumps into gear.

Firstly the heating issues are a real headache. I believe it began when I changed the Florida type coolant to some Norway proof anti-freeze (gets cold here u know) and put on a new 160 degree thermostat and housing. I did a full flush of the cooling system, out with old coolant, ran car with water for 10 minutes (no signs of overheating), flush, new round with water and radiator cleaner, run engine, flush. Tought I had a leak from the radiator, pulled radiator out, but DUH the radiator drain radiator was supposed to be screwed outwards for it to close! In with radiator again. Install new thermostat and housing and then new anti freeze, runs engine, gets hot. I took out the new thermostat and togheter with the old one (195 degree) I tested them in boiling water they both worked, but strangely the new 160 degree thermo opened slower than the old 195 degree thermo so I put the old one in (yes I put it in the right way) and the car still gets hot, waterpump works and none of the hoses are leaking.

I have checked the fourums for people with the same issue and it seems to be a common bug, I am gonna have my radiator cap and radiator pressure tested next and see if that is the problem.

Second issue I got is the transmission, I guess my issue begun before I shipped my car in late April, the tranny was jumping into gear when I took it out of park so I took the car to a mechanic, he put in some Lucas Tranny fix, I asked him wheter it was harmful to have this product in the tranny for an extended period since it looked overfilled on the dipstick, but he said it was fine. It work very well actually the short time I drove the car in the US, but after I shipped the car to Norway and it had been sitting still in the garage for a while my brother called me and told me it had begun leaking tranny oil. I came home to Norway a little over a month ago and this tranny issue has been on my mind ever since, the tranny takes like 3 seconds to go into gear and slips when driving. Looks like the leak is coming from the oil pan, but it could be more substantial then that. So do you guys think I need to do a whole overhaul of the transmission or do I just need to replace some gaskets? any help would be much appreciated! thanks!

Also if someone got any good suggestions for upgrades to my stock cutty come with them Better cooling more power etc...