The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2015, 07:01 PM

newbie needs help

Hey guys can someone help me decide what HEI distributor will work with my motor. I have a 65 Olds 425. If anyone has one for sale would be interested for sure close to tornoto thatis.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by angelo68442convertible
Hey guys can someone help me decide what HEI distributor will work with my motor. I have a 65 Olds 425. If anyone has one for sale would be interested for sure close to tornoto thatis.
All 1964-1990 Olds V8s accept the same distributors. Any Olds HEI distributor bolts right in. If you are looking at a used one, be sure it has a vacuum advance can. The computer-controlled 307s used a HEI distributor that did not have any advance mechanisms - timing was completely controlled by the computer. Factory HEI bodies can be had inexpensively but should get a new module and tune up parts. They will also typically need the advance curve tailored. Brand new Chinesium HEI distributors are available but quality can vary.

To clarify, I assume you really are asking about the GM coil-in-cap HEI distributor and not an electronic conversion module like Pertronix. High Engergy Ignition is GM's brand name for the coil-in-cap design. Electronic conversions are just that - the spark voltage is a function of the coil, not the module. Also, while the electronic distributor simplifies maintenance, do not expect any performance improvement over that of properly maintained points. I've converted my cars because I'm lazy, not for any performance benefits.
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Thanks Joe. Now where to get one is the hard part so far.