The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Michigan, '72 Cutlass Supreme Conv.

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM

Newbie from Michigan, '72 Cutlass Supreme Conv.

Hi, I am a new member to this site and to classic car ownership. My husband and I acquired our '72 Cutlass Supreme convertible about three weeks ago and have already driven her 1,000 miles on northern Michigan roads. Being empty- nesters with a cool convertible is fun! Looking forward to making the most of this site, learning more about my Cutlass and sharing information with other classic car lovers.

Last edited by Shelley; July 26th, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Shelley and Hubby! Welcome to C.O.
Someone did a nice job painting your ride. Feel free to add more pics to that album. Love the car's stance and wheels even though they aren't OEM, they look great. CS was one of the most popular selling cars Olds ever built. Seems that everytime I see someone buying an Olds lately it's a vert. Getting vert envy.....

If you post the cars VIN and pic of the cowl tag, it will get decoded and tell you more about the history of your car.

Did you get any historic documents from the previous owner when you bought the car? Like protecto plate, window sticker, build sheet, broadcast card, original bill of sale etc? If not, no big deal. If you did? Love to see them. That's a part of this hobby that's been sadly overlooked by a lot of owners.
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM

Welcome, another Michigander to the site!
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. @Allan, you're right, the paint job is very nicely done. I love the color, too, even though it's not an original color; it's actually a Ford color, "Nutmeg Poly." The wheels are Boyd Coddingtons, and I agree, they look great. After reading your post, I remembered the previous owner did give me a folder filled with
documentation. Looking through it was a lot of fun. The car was originally sold in Atlanta, Georgia, then lived for some time in North Carolina before making her way to Michigan. Fascinating stuff!
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Great info Shelley. If you post the cars VIN and a pic of the cowl tag, we can give you more (limited) info about how the car left the factory.

Gee, I'm glad I didn't say Torque Thrust on the wheels.....but they do look close. Sometimes you see a color that isn't factory but you really like it. That Nutmeg Poly is one of them.
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Another Michigander saying hello. Nice looking car!!!

I think I getting vert fever too!!!!
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O. forums, thanks for the pic of your car! It's a little late now but don't forget about the Olds Homecoming show held the Saturday before fathers day!

Pat
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Nice car! Welcome. I grew up in Grayling. Where abouts are you? I'm now near Muskegon.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:33 PM

Nice to see other Michiganders on the site. We live near Flint, but vacation near Grayling. In fact, my favorite stretch of road to drive is M72 between Grayling & Kalkaska, "roller coaster road!" @Pat, thanks for letting me know about the Olds Homecoming Show. I looked it up online & will definitely check it out next year. We're excited for the Back to the Bricks rolling car cruise and show next month in Flint!
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Allan, I have the Protect-0-Plate, but can you tell me where to find the cowl tag? (Yep. That's how "newbie" I am!)
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM

The cowl tag is on the firewall on the drivers side of the car, pop the hood and stand by the drivers side fender, it will be on your right where the cowl meets the base of the windsheild. I plan on going to BTB in two weeks, we went (my buddy and his son) last year for the first time...pretty cool, got out of there just as the skies opened up!
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What Dan said ^^^. You VIN should start out like this 3J4267K2RXXXXXX where X = the production sequence at the assembly plant it was built at. I've installed K as representing a 350 4bbl engine and R as Built in Arlington TX. But it could be a different one like M, Z, R, G

The cowl tag will be a piece of metal that has 2 rivets with goop smeared over the top of them.
The plate will start out by reading
ST-72.....4267.....
and will have other info punched on it.
By the left side rivet there will be a date code like 04C or something like that (alpha numeric). That tells the build month and week of production. Some of them may be hard to see if the goop has been smeared over any of it. Looking forward to your pics.
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM

I found the cowl tag, right where you said it would be. It's pretty grubby, though. I think it reads:
ST-72 34267LAN415511(or 12?)
TR 979 63 T
3C A51
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cowltag.jpg (75.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
pencilrubbingcowl.jpg (55.7 KB, 15 views)
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Nice to see other Michiganders on the site. We live near Flint, but vacation near Grayling. In fact, my favorite stretch of road to drive is M72 between Grayling & Kalkaska, "roller coaster road!" @Pat, thanks for letting me know about the Olds Homecoming Show. I looked it up online & will definitely check it out next year. We're excited for the Back to the Bricks rolling car cruise and show next month in Flint!
Yes that is a nice stretch of road passing Bear Lake and the Manistee river. I lived on Bear lake for a short time while younger.
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Shelley, your cowl tag reads like this:
ST 72 = 1972 model production
3 - Oldsmobile Division
42 - Cutlass Supreme
67 - Convertible
LAN - Lansing Production
425512 - Fisher assigned body number (not related to VIN)
TR 979 - Trim code 979 = Saddle interior bucket seat interior trim
PNT 63 - Saddle Bronze lower body color
T - Covert Beige convertible top color
3C - Built month/week (3rd week [C] of March [3] )
A51 - Strato Bucket seat option
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:16 PM

Thank you so much for decoding that for me. It really is good information to know. I imagine she looked lovely coming off the line in Lansing in all her saddle-on-saddle glory. I didn't know the seats were Strato bucket seats, either, but I knew they were comfortable!

ziff396: LUCKY!
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:32 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard! That is a sharp vert
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Welcome aboard! That is a sharp vert
Thanks a lot. I really can't take credit for how sharp she looks, since we just got her and have only replaced the steering wheel. But I will say, it sure is fun to drive! We're leaving tomorrow to take her on another trip "Up North" for our anniversary. Do you travel a lot in yours? I worry a little about getting it dinged up on the roads, but the fun factor over rides my fears.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM

Welcome aboard Shelley! Beautiful car! We bought ours last September and have really enjoyed it. We are not empty nesters - have a 5 yr old, 8 yr old, & 20 year old. They are also having fun with it. The forum is a great source of info.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice ride.