The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Michigan

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM

Newbie from Michigan

Hello all!

I Joined your site because I recently bought a 47 model 76 2 door Sedanette and I'm looking for resources, knowledge, help and inspiration!

Cool and good looking car but it needs a LOT of work and time. It needs EVERYTHING!, down to the frame. I thought I had a good head start on that because it has an S10 frame under it with HUGE tires out back, but it turns out that the heavy coating of shiny paint on the frame was hiding heavy rust pitting and the welds that attach the body mounts to the frame are less than safe.

So I'm starting over on the frame and after a little research, the 77-96 GM B body looks like the best donor car and chassis. Very similar cars dimensionally, though I'm worried about the proportions.

On the plus side the body is about 90% complete. Lot of the little parts are in baskets! Headlights, bumpers, trim, etc, etc, most of it is there. No back window though, and that's going to be one big issue among many.

My dream engine for it is an LH-2 four cam from a late model rear drive Caddy, the big brother to the Aurora's engine. But if the donor car has a good running old V-8, I'll probably use that. Either way, Rocket 88 green though!

IMHO, these cars don't photograph well, but the lines are INCREDIBLE in person;

IMG_0736.jpg
66 yrs old! Not as hi-riding as it looks. The prow of the hood is about elbow height on me.

IMG_0735.jpg
Big old tires and a crooked frame

IMG_0737.jpg
I didn't like the wires at first but they grew on me. But I will be changing them from the gold and chrome to Satin black spokes and caps with chrome rims.

It's staying a street rod, in Bright Silver with Satin black trim and a black and chrome interior with four bucket seats.

It's going to take a while, like everything I do.

Last edited by peganit; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: posting pics
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM

Welcome to CO.

Pictures are a must or no one will talk to you When you get a chance drop on down to the vintage forum there are a bunch of guys doing just what your attempting, a lot of good information shared there......Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a cool project, welcome and yes pictures are required. The S10 frame lends a lot of options.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:50 PM

Ask and you shall recieve!

Pics!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sounds like a cool project, welcome and yes pictures are required. The S10 frame lends a lot of options.
The front track is way too narrow and the rear has about 2 inches of travel after the PO put the axle on top of the springs. There is no more room to lower it without cutting the frame.

Plus it's rusty.

Last edited by peganit; January 22nd, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:26 PM

Welcome, looks like a neat project. You will find lots of resources/help on this site.... a great bunch...
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Sounds like a cool project, look forward to your resto.