The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Colorado

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Newbie from Colorado

Greetings,
I am new to Classic Oldsmobile and have just purchased a 1971 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Coupe. Truly a barn find as it has been sitting in a windowless garage for many years. One owner with 58,000 miles. I hope to clean it up and get it back on the road soon and I appreciate any suggestions and recommendations. It is in really nice shape but want to take my time and do everything right as it has not been driven for years. It is missing one hubcap and one end cap of for a door pull if anyone can help me.
Best regards, Steve.
Attached Images
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. What a nice find. It looks to be in amazing condition. That is going to be nice car.
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! My sister would love that big ole land yacht, lol!!
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Welcome to CO first and foremost I would drop the fuel tank and have it cleaned and tested for leaks. Then clean the fuel lines out, with the fuel line disconnected at both ends spray some carburetor cleaner and then blow through the lines with compressed air. I would replace the fuel pump. Drain the engine oil as good as you can and fill with clean oil and replace the oil filter prime it by pouring some oil into the filter before you install it. I think your car takes 5 quarts of oil but I would only put in 4.5 because you will not get all the old oil out. I would put some seafoam in the engine oil that will help with cleaning the debris and water out of the engine. http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html I would put a piece of tape on each spark plug wire and number them 1-8 to correspond with the cylinder that it is attached to. Then remove all the spark plugs and spray Kroil or liquid wrench into each cylinder allow it time to soak overnight. Then turn the engine over by hand with all the spark plugs still out use a socket wrench on the harmonic bolt that goes to the crank. If it will not turn by hand spray more Kroil or liquid wrench let it sit and try it again. Once you are able to turn over the engine by hand easily then put the plugs in drain and fill the radiator connect a good battery re install the fuel tank and fuel lines cross your fingers and turn the key. Once it starts it will smoke like a mother and make all kinds of noise as the lifters will be collapsed but after a while it should settle down and stop smoking.

Last edited by Chuck_66; October 5th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Welcome from another Coloradoan to CO! Ninety Eight looks awesome!

Tom
68 442 convt
70 F85
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:55 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice looking car, post more pictures please!
Old October 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Thank you for the welcome and thank you very much for your advice! I am new at forums and do not know what I am doing but I think I created an album and posted more photos of my car. Not sure how to find it again.
-steve.
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Your pics were in the album. She cleaned up really nice