The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2016, 04:50 AM

Newbie from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Hi guys,
I have been looking around this great olds site for some time but never posted. My name is Ramon from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I have been working on and driving american cars from the age of 18... I just bought a 1971 cutlass supreme with two old 350's a '69 and a '71. It has the original fabric bucketseats and console. Interior is in great shape.
Plans are to build a nice +/- 350 hp motor and use the cutlass as my daily driver to replace my '73 Camaro. The Camaro is just to smal with two kids...
Here some pics:

The body is in decent shape, technical in great shape .
Before I start to build the motor I wil ask you guys for advise (a lot)
I hope to learn a lot at this great Oldsmobile place:-)
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Beautiful car. Be aware that while the seats are original, the upholstery is not. Olds didn't offer a fabric material on the bucket seats in 1971. That's a very well done recovering, but it is a recover. Your cowl tag will tell you what the factory upholstery was. Good luck with the car.
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O. I agree with Joe and I spotted another faux pas, while being a 71 supreme some has put on the 72 supreme vinyl top with no "halo area".

But still a nice car none the less!

Pat
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:03 AM

I didn't know about the interior, it looks original and nobody worked on the interior after it had come to the Netherlands in 1996. So the fabric interior is done pre 1996 in the States!
About the roof, I did allready notice the non halo roof. I like the halo more but it's fine, no need to replace it. The stock halo on my '70 Eldorado had more rust underneath....;-)
It's a daily driver so no worries about originallity :-)
I do like to get my hands on a original steering wheelor a nice wooden steering wheel .
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, as everyone stated the upholstery from that era was made from the hide of an endangered American species known as a Nauga. Naugahyde® was banned in cars in the late 70's.
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, as everyone stated the upholstery from that era was made from the hide of an endangered American species known as a Nauga. Naugahyde® was banned in cars in the late 70's.
I'll never forget the TV commercials for the "hide of the Nauga" in the 1960s.

Amazingly, I can't seem to find a video of one on the web, so here's a print ad:

Old May 28th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rdtreur
I didn't know about the interior, it looks original and nobody worked on the interior after it had come to the Netherlands in 1996. So the fabric interior is done pre 1996 in the States!
The stock vinyl typically would have needed replacement long before 1996 anyway, so that's not surprising.
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:37 AM

Wel after looking carefully at the seats I think they re-used the vinyl Parts and only renewed the now fabric cloth. Drivers seat is a bit dirty but still looks good to me. It's no naugahide btw:-)