The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Alberta

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2011 | 10:53 AM
John

Newbie from Alberta

Just found this fantastic site. Last week got a barn find 1952 Olds 98 4 dr, NO rust at all straight as an arrow and full of extra parts. Engine was stuck but I filled the holes with 50/50 Kerosene/trans fluid let sit for a week put in a fresh battery and bumped the starter a few times and over she went.

John
Old November 20th, 2011 | 11:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey John! Welcome to C.O.!! Where are you in AB? Next thing you need to do is learn how to post pics. EVERYONE here loves to see pics.

What are your plans for the car? FYI there is an exclusive Olds show that goes in the town of "OLDS" AB every July called the Rocket Roundup.
Old November 21st, 2011 | 08:37 AM
John

Thanks Alan

I live little west of Stony Plain and yes as soon as I get some pics I will post. I see ur retired from the rail industry which one cn=cp?

John
Old November 21st, 2011 | 08:44 AM

Welcome fellow candian!

Maybe you guys will see me next year at the rocket roundup! If my rocket coughs it way up those hills that is :P

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey John! Welcome to C.O.!! Where are you in AB? Next thing you need to do is learn how to post pics. EVERYONE here loves to see pics.

What are your plans for the car? FYI there is an exclusive Olds show that goes in the town of "OLDS" AB every July called the Rocket Roundup.
Old November 21st, 2011 | 08:48 AM

Lets see, 2260 miles, 20 miles per gallon (i should hope?), 113 gallons of gas.

This would be a hell of an adventure. Anyone know if there's auto parts stores along the way :P
Old November 21st, 2011 | 03:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 52 98
Thanks Alan
I live little west of Stony Plain and yes as soon as I get some pics I will post. I see ur retired from the rail industry which one cn=cp?
John
Hi John, actually I worked for the Light Rail Division of ETS. Called it quits after 31 1/2 years. Don't miss it a bit. My health is more important to me as I grow older; and my side of the family tree isn't gifted with longevity. So I thought the best thing would be to spend as much time doing other things that I love. Unfortunately I still remember a lot of stuff since I was basically the person who wrote the Rule Book and developed Training programs and Standard Operating Procedures. Only been gone since June.

These are the new trains that we recently (2009) acquired. I had some input into the specs of this train, but a lot of the things that we wanted were 'overruled' by the mgmt. Once the initial bugs were worked out the train has become very reliable and smooth. Other properties liked the design so much they asked for it too. The controls and security monitoring are all electronic. It has no mirrors - but each car has 10 cameras and 10 emergency stations on board. Heck, it's even air conditioned.

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Lets see, 2260 miles, 20 miles per gallon (i should hope?), 113 gallons of gas.
This would be a hell of an adventure. Anyone know if there's auto parts stores along the way :P
I think you need to X2 on your mileage Tony; unless you're planning to stay out West. Once you hit AB, you won't want to go back, we only have 5% GST and our gas prices are a lot lower than QC. It would be our gain! And yes, there are lots of autoparts places out here! Buy AB! Screw the HST. Just think on the way out or back you could visit some boneyards along the way and scout out some vintage car parts!
Only 20 mpg? Last trip I did with mine was about 300 miles and it averaged around 24 mpg and that was traveling about 70mph all the way. The more you drive at highway speed, the better the engine performs as it cleans out the junk its collected.
I would love to see you at the rocket roundup. We'll keep tabs on your progress and see how it pans out for ya!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3230119609_be0941d4e1_z.jpg (48.2 KB, 59 views)
Old November 21st, 2011 | 07:47 PM

I think you need to X2 on your mileage Tony; unless you're planning to stay out West. Once you hit AB, you won't want to go back, we only have 5% GST and our gas prices are a lot lower than QC. It would be our gain! And yes, there are lots of autoparts places out here! Buy AB! Screw the HST. Just think on the way out or back you could visit some boneyards along the way and scout out some vintage car parts!
Only 20 mpg? Last trip I did with mine was about 300 miles and it averaged around 24 mpg and that was traveling about 70mph all the way. The more you drive at highway speed, the better the engine performs as it cleans out the junk its collected.
I would love to see you at the rocket roundup. We'll keep tabs on your progress and see how it pans out for ya!
wow! That's sounds awesome, it's one of the only provinces I havnt had a chance to visit yet. I was out in Seattle for 6 months last year for work but now I'm back In Montreal, and yea, sadly my cutlass project went on hold for those 6 months...

You have a q-jet on your car right?? I have the 1405 manual choke edelbrock, I havnt ever driven the car on highway yet.. My car came standard with 2bbl and manifold, which I still have, I'd like to probably sandblast them eventually and paint them gold. It would be a nice addition to my oldsmobile collection.
Old November 21st, 2011 | 07:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

wow! That's sounds awesome, it's one of the only provinces I havnt had a chance to visit yet..
You're kidding. C'mon out!

You have a q-jet on your car right?? I have the 1405 manual choke edelbrock, I havnt ever driven the car on highway yet.. My car came standard with 2bbl and manifold, which I still have, I'd like to probably sandblast them eventually and paint them gold. It would be a nice addition to my oldsmobile collection.
Yes, it's a 7042250 (proper q-jet for 72 350). I bought it from the Carb Doctor in Stoney Plain. Paid 265.00 for it completely overhauled and delivered to my door.

I still have the 2GC carb that came with the car, and the 2bbl intake. Not sure why you would keep them for your collection; the intake is just plain heavy and takes up space. Like I should talk..... I'll probably rebuild the 2GC and keep it somewhere safe.
Old November 21st, 2011 | 08:01 PM

You're kidding. C'mon out!

Yes, it's a 7042250 (proper q-jet for 72 350). I bought it from the Carb Doctor in Stoney Plain. Paid 265.00 for it completely overhauled and delivered to my door.

I still have the 2GC carb that came with the car, and the 2bbl intake. Not sure why you would keep them for your collection; the intake is just plain heavy and takes up space. Like I should talk..... I'll probably rebuild the 2GC and keep it somewhere safe.
That's amazing! My car originally came with a 17058253 m4mc carburetor. I looked it up and it's from a 1978 cutlass supreme, not exactly my style, I tried rebuilding it and ran into trouble.. Leaking wells, warped gasket, corroded choke, and the list goes on.

I ended up finding a great deal on amazon for 250 dollars, new carb shipped to my door. I added new seals to my intake (edelbrok olds performer) and sealed the carb. It really runs nicely now. But knowing me, I'll probably eventually rebuild the 2bbl as well and bolt it back on there for kicks.

In other news, my cutlass fired up today in -5 conditions without so much as a pump and crank as specified in the owners manual. I was pretty darned happy!
Old November 21st, 2011 | 08:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I ended up finding a great deal on amazon for 250 dollars, new carb shipped to my door. I added new seals to my intake (edelbrok olds performer) and sealed the carb. It really runs nicely now. But knowing me, I'll probably eventually rebuild the 2bbl as well and bolt it back on there for kicks.
You would love the quadrajet 4bbl on the 72. 78 is a little different style IIRC. I have a 7043250 (4bbl for a 73) in storage - needs a rebuild. You interested?

In other news, my cutlass fired up today in -5 conditions without so much as a pump and crank as specified in the owners manual. I was pretty darned happy!
Yeah, but you have that manual choke thingy. Nice to hear that these old cars are still reliable starters. Mine had no trouble firing up either. Did you get your front end finished already? Gotta go check out that thread.
Old November 21st, 2011 | 08:36 PM

You would love the quadrajet 4bbl on the 72. 78 is a little different style IIRC. I have a 7043250 (4bbl for a 73) in storage - needs a rebuild. You interested?

Yeah, but you have that manual choke thingy. Nice to hear that these old cars are still reliable starters. Mine had no trouble firing up either. Did you get your front end finished already? Gotta go check out that thread.
Front end is still waiting for control arms. Shocks are in and paint is drying on the sway bar equipment.

Is the 73 and 72 carb 'the same'? I'll let you know once I get this puppy roarin' on the road! Thanks And I shall definitely keep your offer in mind. I hear that a properly set up qjet is the only way to go.
Old November 21st, 2011 | 08:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Front end is still waiting for control arms. Shocks are in and paint is drying on the sway bar equipment.

Is the 73 and 72 carb 'the same'? I'll let you know once I get this puppy roarin' on the road! Thanks And I shall definitely keep your offer in mind. I hear that a properly set up qjet is the only way to go.
Shocks are in?? Bud, they gotta come out of there for when you take off your old control arms and springs.

Far as I know 73 and 72 qjet carbs are the same. Different numbers on the bowl to designate production year. I'll have to check and see it that's the only change though. Qjets aren't that scarey and they are a good carb regardless of what anyone says to the contrary. The one I'm talking about also has the bi metal choke linkage same as the 72, same pull offs etc, even the same idle solenoid.
Old November 22nd, 2011 | 06:10 AM

Shocks are in?? Bud, they gotta come out of there for when you take off your old control arms and springs.

Far as I know 73 and 72 qjet carbs are the same. Different numbers on the bowl to designate production year. I'll have to check and see it that's the only change though. Qjets aren't that scarey and they are a good carb regardless of what anyone says to the contrary. The one I'm talking about also has the bi metal choke linkage same as the 72, same pull offs etc, even the same idle solenoid.
That's awesome, i really liked the q-jet that i had, despite the fact that it was leaky and really needed a cleanup.

Shocks are in just to hold the car on its wheels for now. When i get my control arms. I'm going to rebuild them, clean them paint them, then install the 4 of them in one fell swoop. (well, one month of a fell swoop probably )
Old November 22nd, 2011 | 12:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's awesome, i really liked the q-jet that i had, despite the fact that it was leaky and really needed a cleanup.

Shocks are in just to hold the car on its wheels for now. When i get my control arms. I'm going to rebuild them, clean them paint them, then install the 4 of them in one fell swoop. (well, one month of a fell swoop probably )
Tony, my carb doesn't leak but ahs only been on the car since 2008.
Did you paint your shocks gray? I'm thinking I 'might as well' pull mine out and do that. I have to replace the stripped nut on the lower shock end so that's as good a reason as any.

One fell swoop - limiting yourself to one month??? Good one Tony - I needed a good laugh! If you can do it, you're a better man than I am. Just blindfold yourself so you don't see something else that you 'might as well' do since you've got that much disassembled!

Here are a few pics of my 7042250. BTW the 7043250 looks almost identical. I have an EGR that I will restore and install when the engine comes back from rebuild. For now I just have that port blocked off.
Attached Images
IMG_1246.jpg (84.5 KB, 12 views)
IMG_1249.jpg (82.8 KB, 13 views)
IMG_1248.jpg (93.7 KB, 13 views)
Old November 22nd, 2011 | 01:35 PM

Tony, my carb doesn't leak but ahs only been on the car since 2008.
Did you paint your shocks gray? I'm thinking I 'might as well' pull mine out and do that. I have to replace the stripped nut on the lower shock end so that's as good a reason as any.

One fell swoop - limiting yourself to one month??? Good one Tony - I needed a good laugh! If you can do it, you're a better man than I am. Just blindfold yourself so you don't see something else that you 'might as well' do since you've got that much disassembled!

Here are a few pics of my 7042250. BTW the 7043250 looks almost identical. I have an EGR that I will restore and install when the engine comes back from rebuild. For now I just have that port blocked off.
Are they supposed to be grey??! I got the Black powdercoated ones from acdelco because I figured thatd be pretty darned close to factory...

Your carburetor looks great! How come you are going to put egr? I didn't know our 72s had a provisioned improvement with egr... Mine is an edelbrock manifold and I have it blocked off as well.

I'm thinking I'll "just clean the frame" HAH, who am I kidding, the second those fenderwells come out there'll
Be no turning back... :|
Old November 22nd, 2011 | 01:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Are they supposed to be grey??! I got the Black powdercoated ones from acdelco because I figured thatd be pretty darned close to factory...

Your carburetor looks great! How come you are going to put egr? I didn't know our 72s had a provisioned improvement with egr... Mine is an edelbrock manifold and I have it blocked off as well.

I'm thinking I'll "just clean the frame" HAH, who am I kidding, the second those fenderwells come out there'll Be no turning back... :|
Shocks? Jury's still out. Rob did his gray and so is skryla's. Mind you he also did his springs gray too. Mine are jet black too. Maybe someone can chime in on this and let both of us know. I've seen AC DELCO shocks in gray, red and black.

I'm putting an EGR back on just cause I got it and the car came with one. It only works on cold startup and highway heavy throttles. THe one I got works! just need a gasket for it.

Yup! Be prepared when you take the liners out. SOAK the bolt heads and threads with penetrating oil and WD for at least a day before you take them out - especially the ones that attach to the fender. The bolts can snap out the plastic on the liner really easy if you're not careful - they go through a spring clip that attaches to the liner. Over time they rust together and the spring doesn't flex, it just busts the (old) plastic. Go ahead, ask how I know!!
Old November 23rd, 2011 | 08:31 PM

Shocks? Jury's still out. Rob did his gray and so is skryla's. Mind you he also did his springs gray too. Mine are jet black too. Maybe someone can chime in on this and let both of us know. I've seen AC DELCO shocks in gray, red and black.

I'm putting an EGR back on just cause I got it and the car came with one. It only works on cold startup and highway heavy throttles. THe one I got works! just need a gasket for it.

Yup! Be prepared when you take the liners out. SOAK the bolt heads and threads with penetrating oil and WD for at least a day before you take them out - especially the ones that attach to the fender. The bolts can snap out the plastic on the liner really easy if you're not careful - they go through a spring clip that attaches to the liner. Over time they rust together and the spring doesn't flex, it just busts the (old) plastic. Go ahead, ask how I know!!
Sounds great, When i pull them i might just go ahead and paint them cast grey like rob did. It's a 'might as well' that's going to take a couple minutes of painting.

You have an olds intake from 72 that had EGR? How come i never saw this in the assembly manual? (mind you i have the assembly manual for 71..) I would think the manifold would need to have an EGR valve with a control system to decide when to admit exhaust to the track under certain conditions?

I have a edelbrock performer intake that also has the EGR. It's be interesting to know if this would be of any benefit. I definitely want to add my hot air pipe to help on the cold startups and help her warm up faster.