The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newb just got a 55 olds 4 door

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Newb just got a 55 olds 4 door

Hey Everyone
New guy here. Just got a 55 Olds super 88 4 door. Body is pretty much complete just rough. Interior is all there as well. Some farmer took the engine and trans out of it so right now just a rolling chassis. My big questions are what recomendations is there for replacing the engine and trans in this one? I am really not to knowledgeable on olds cars. I would like to keep it somewhat stock looking with that open the hood and wow factor. I am not going to be kicking off the build on this right away as I have my spare 4x4/ shop truck in the garage in the process of getting the drivetrain put back in it. The shop truck is an old ****** pickup. So looking for ideas on engine and trans swap in. Also any info on if I need to replace the rear axle for driveability or not ( not even sure what is under it ). Possible front end upgrades and is there a list or any parts suppliers out there for these?
Thanks in advance
Jeff
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM

You should post your location. People in your area can help or lend a hand. being this is an Oldsmobile site, many don't take well to cross breading of car and engine. But in the end it is your car and what ever please's you will be the out come.

Gene
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM

No problem on the location. I am from up near Havre, MT.

As for the motor I am definatly wanting to keep it an OLDS motor and started searching high and low to find one. My biggest problem is not sure what I can fit under the hood without going crazy having to modify everything else. I have a 350 Olds out of a ****** pickup. Lord knows why it was in there. It is my shop truck. with that i would be short a transmission. I also tracked down yesterday while I was at work a guy willing to part with a complete 455 and transmission although I brain farted and forgot to ask what trans it was.

So recomendation wise which one of these would you put in or should I start looking for the original motor?

I know it will be sitting for 2 years right now as i need to finish my shop truck for garage space but I prefer to start planning so when I run across items I need I can get them instead of not knowing where to find them.

Thanks again
Jeff
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:50 PM

The 455 will have a T-400 behind it. Just fabing mounts should be the most . The engine will fit will no problems. Just have to adapt throttle linkage and trans link age. Get the alt brkts and p/s pump for the 455 and adapt wires and make new p/s hose's. You will have to have a drive shaft made or mod the original one. If you get the trans try and get the slip yoke with it.

Gene
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:01 PM

The guy is going to give me everything from fan through driveshaft. All brackets and accessorys. Just got done talking to him real quick.

Any idea on what rear axle and gearing is under them? Just courious and not sure if I need to worry about changing it out.

Also anyone out there with a factory one that can tell me what the ride quality is on this old girl or do I need to look at upgrading the suspension?

For right now my last question is what performance parts do they make for the 455 or what would someone recomend for it.

Sorry for all the questions. My first Olds. Up to this point I mostly been deeling with Chevy trucks and Jeeps.

Thanks
Jeff
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM

Pasarg, welcome aboard.
Well they call them big boats for a reason,steer like one, stop like one, ride like one and also they create a big hole that you throw money into. That being said I wouldn't be without one. If I were to put a 455 in a 55 the least I would do would change the brakes, especially if you hot rod it at all.There are disk brake setups out there. I don't think the rear end will last long under the tork and power of a 455. There not real weak but if your building a street rod a posi is a must anyway. If it were me I would put a clip off of a 70'ish chevy or cutlass and pick up both the brakes and better suspension.
The other alternative is find a good 324 and a stock trany and put it back to what it was at one time, just a real neat nostalgia machine. You ain't going to win many races with a 4000 lb car anyway. My thoughts ......Tedd
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I agree with Gene, the 455/TH400 would be nice in your car if you can get them.