The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New youngster

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2013, 08:59 AM

New youngster

Well I guess this is my intro thread lol. 22 abd I recently acquired a 1971 delta 88 custom. Only thing wrong is that it needs head gaskets replaced. I really want this car to be a show car eventually but for now with my budget and income I will just use it as basic transportation. Hopefully I can find people in the dfw area that can offer advice on finding some parts like bumper or grill helping me restore it fully.
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nameismmm
I recently acquired a 1971 delta 88 custom.
Two-door? Four-door? Hardtop? What engine? How many miles? We need more info and photos!

Welcome to the site. If you haven't already been told, a million people will tell you to post photos of your car, and another million will tell you that parts for the full-size Oldsmobiles are not reproduced in the aftermarket. Bumpers, grilles, and anything else body or trim-related will have to come from donor cars. But there are a lot of Dallas-area people on here, so perhaps you'll get some suggestions.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome from another N Texan. X2 on the pictures.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Give us more info and pictures when you get a chance.
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:53 AM

Ok I'm on mobile so posting pictures is still a hassle for me
It's 455 engine idk the engine miles because the block was recently placed. 4 door hard top. Everything inside right now is the same thing from 1971. When I get to a computer I'll gladly post pictures. Everything inside including headliner looks almost brand new. Only thing missing really is a bumper idk if the grill can be re shaped or not but if so then that'll make it that much easier. Everything else just needs to have slight patches which shouldn't be too hard to find people to do.
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:56 AM

Hoping the attachment posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (58.5 KB, 29 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:57 AM

Success!! Ok later when it's actually daylight I'll take more pictures
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:52 AM

It's even better when it's horizontal!
Attached Images
image.jpg (32.2 KB, 25 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:59 AM

4 door hard top.
Actually, no. From that photo, there is clearly a pillar between the front door and rear door windows, so that would make it pillared sedan and not a hardtop, which would have no center pillar. Olds called this design a "Town Sedan." (But then, you did admit that you're only 22 years old. We can't expect such young folks, especially if they're new to old Oldsmobiles, to be up on the terminology of 40+ years ago!)

Nice acquisition nonetheless.

What's the story on the roof? There's black trim on the rear pillar and along the roof above the side windows. It almost looks like the car originally had a black vinyl top that someone removed the middle part of. Or was that the original design?

I've seen sun-damaged paint, but I would think that if that's the problem with the roof paint, you might also see it on the trunk lid and hood as they're also upward-facing and would have seen just as much sunlight over the years.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 7th, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Actually, no. From that photo, there is clearly a pillar between the front door and rear door windows, so that would make it pillared sedan and not a hardtop, which would have no center pillar. Olds called this design a "Town Sedan." (But then, you did admit that you're only 22 years old. We can't expect such young folks, especially if they're new to old Oldsmobiles, to be up on the terminology of 40+ years ago!)

Nice acquisition nonetheless.

What's the story on the roof? There's black trim on the rear pillar and along the roof above the side windows. It almost looks like the car originally had a black vinyl top that someone removed the middle part of. Or was that the original design?

I've seen sun-damaged paint, but I would think that if that's the problem with the roof paint, you might also see it on the trunk lid and hood as they're also upward-facing and would have seen just as much sunlight over the years.
The roof well I'm thinking the guy before me was halfway through finishing his idea but changed his minds it does seem removed but only so it can be sanded down and refinished. And yeah I have to get up on my terminology lol I don't want to sound foolish talking about my own car. It has a lot of minor sun damage that can easily be sanded down except at the very bottom corners near the rear that has full rust destruction but only in a very small spot. Getting that patches might be my real task but I'm willing to bring this custom back to life
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM

Welcome to C. O.!
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:15 PM

The picture of the side is actually the work part of the car paint wise. The interior is really nice though save a few minor things. More pictures comi
Attached Images
image.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Interior
Attached Images
image.jpg (55.6 KB, 13 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:20 PM

All you gotta do is figure out how to rotate 'em! My neck hurts too much otherwise.

The interior does look good. That exterior, though, is an issue. A complete repaint is what's in order.
Attached Images
image.jpg (31.6 KB, 17 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:21 PM

455 engine
Attached Images
image.jpg (61.5 KB, 16 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:22 PM

Yeah I'm sorry the uploaded flips them for me idk why. I keep trying to re crop or flip but the uploaded flips them back
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Also, you can attach up to five images at one time. No need to make a separate post for each one, unless you want to, of course.
Attached Images
image.jpg (36.5 KB, 9 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:24 PM

All you gotta do is figure out how to rotate 'em! My neck hurts too much otherwise.

The interior does look good. That exterior, though, is an issue. A complete repaint is what's in order.
Yeah the exterior I can handle I just need a grill and front bumper. Hopefully this one isn't flipped! I tried re flipping it when the upload page showed it sideways. It's harder I'm using a phone for this
Attached Images
image.jpg (43.1 KB, 14 views)
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Oh my god I need to get to a computer.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Yeah I'm sorry the uploaded flips them for me idk why.
You know, you're supposed to be the 22-year-old computer whiz who shows us old fogies a thing or two about doing things on a computer!

All I do is open the photo is Windows Photo Viewer, rotate it one way or the other as appropriate, and then close photoviewer. The rotated version is saved automatically.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM

I tried to do all 5 but it only uploads one and when it try to upload them they flip themselves. Yeah I'm buying a laptop soon then
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM

Oh my god I need to get to a computer.
That's right. I forgot you said you're doing all this on a "mobile". Is that a mobile phone, tablet, or what?
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM

You know, you're supposed to be the 22-year-old computer whiz who shows us old fogies a thing or two about doing things on a computer!

All I do is open the photo is Windows Photo Viewer, rotate it one way or the other as appropriate, and then close photoviewer. The rotated version is saved automatically.
Lol true but I'm using an iphone right now and those don't agree with forums too well
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Ha ha ha, just funnin' with ya!

You're going to need more than just a front bumper and grille, but a new header panel as well. That'll have to come from another '71 full-size Oldsmobile (88, 98, or Custom Cruiser). No other year interchanges, and no other comparable GM model (Buick, Chevy, Pontiac) does, either.
Attached Images
image.jpg (23.9 KB, 6 views)
image - Copy.jpg (23.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by jaunty75; October 7th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:04 AM

Ha ha ha, just funnin' with ya!

You're going to need more than just a front bumper and grille, but a new header panel as well. That'll have to come from another '71 full-size Oldsmobile (88, 98, or Custom Cruiser). No other year interchanges, and no other comparable GM model (Buick, Chevy, Pontiac) does, either.
Knowing that those model interchange too makes it that much easier man I really appreciate that! I'm going to start calling salvage yards and checking craigslist with this new knowledge
Old October 11th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Can't find a single place in America with the exact year or part. Closest place is canada and my father in law is pushing for me to keep it with no bumper. I'm probably going to trade it or sell it to someone with the income and time to get the parts. But I'm looking at an 86 cutlass so if and when I do sell it I'll pick it up. If I do get a good part that's closer ill definitely keep it
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:41 PM

Can't find a single place in America with the exact year or part.
Welcome to the world of restoring full-size Oldsmobiles!
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:17 PM
same but different

Welcome to the world of restoring full-size Oldsmobiles!
I find this to be so true, you guys with the big cars got if rough.

Namismmm, welcome. You got a nice car there, all things considered. Hope it works out, but an 86 is pretty nice too. You'll still have parts challenges though.
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Check this thread out for parts for your '71. The front end parts off of his '71 98 should fit fine on your Delta.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post603610