The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Owner of a 1954 Oldsmobile 98

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM

New Owner of a 1954 Oldsmobile 98

My name is Christian, and I am newbie to both the forums, as well as Oldsmobile ownership (car ownership, actually). First off, I would like to say that I am proud to be a part of this forum.

Just recently, I purchased my first car, a 1954 Oldsmobile 98 sedan. She is a project as of now, but that will eventually change as I restore her on my breaks from school (currently attending college, which is at the opposite end of the state). She starts up and drives very well, but has problems stopping (as I discovered while driving her a few weeks ago). She is at the mechanics having that rectified as of present (master cylinder needs repair). When she gets back and school lets out, I can begin cosmetic restorations (remedying rust damage, fixing chrome, etcetera).

This is the only picture I have of her as of present, taken by a friend with his phone (as I said, I am at college and the car is at the mechanics, so I do not have many pictures of it):
CE933515-0FE6-480C-8C52-35CA238B7F2A_zpsek512vz8.jpg

As I said, she needs a lot of cosmetic work, but when done, she will one good-looking car! I am open to any comments or suggestions you guys may have, and will post here periodically when I am stumped or need advice. Thank you in advanced!
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Let me be the first to welcome you. I am partial to 54's. That car will make a great cruiser. If you car has power brakes as I expect it does, it may through your mechanic for a loop. It is known as a treadle vac and it is all under the floor board. I would suggest getting yourself an original shop manual off ebay. It will be on of the best things you ever buy.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM

Thank you redoldsman for your reply.

My mechanic seems to be familiar with older cars like this, as he knew exactly what I needed after looking at it. He said the hardest part is actually getting the parts. I did purchase a digital version of the manual on eBay, but I have not had the time to inspect it adequately.
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on your new project. Looks to be pretty solid. Looking forward to more pictures.
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:26 PM

Welcome To C.O. and congratulations on your purchase.Good luck on the "The Treadle Vac Brakes" . Rebuild kits are available for both the Bendix and Moraine systems.If you do have problems with getting the brakes right ,send questions to the "Vintage Olds"section.Maybe one of us will be able to help. Larry
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Fusick has a rebuild kit for the treadle vacs. I had mine rebuilt by Karps Power Brake Service in California. It was not cheap but I am very satisfied with it. Remember there is nothing on your car more important than brakes. Good luck.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:46 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO and congrats on your purchase. Bet it will stick out on your campus when you get it on the road!
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:45 AM

Christian,I am so proud to know that someone young shows interest in older model Oldsmobiles.I was beginning to think that only older Men like the 50's Oldsmobiles! Hey,I might decide to sell mine someday,and I don't want to have only 60+ Year old prospects. Larry
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hey Rocketowner:

Be careful talking about us +60 year olds. Really I am just kidding. It really is good to see a youngster interested in old cars. I think a big old 4-door 98 would make a neat cruiser. I think they are pretty cars with lots of room.

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Christian,I am so proud to know that someone young shows interest in older model Oldsmobiles.I was beginning to think that only older Men like the 50's Oldsmobiles! Hey,I might decide to sell mine someday,and I don't want to have only 60+ Year old prospects. Larry
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:44 AM

Redoldsman,I would never say anything against 60+ Year olds.They are young "whippersnappers" compared to me,but I'm still going, at the moment! Larry
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Redoldsman,I would never say anything against 60+ Year olds.They are young "whippersnappers" compared to me,but I'm still going, at the moment! Larry
No offense taken at all. I just had to yank your chain a little. However it does bring up a concern as to who will buy our 50's cars in say 10 years. I plan on driving mine for a number of years but I hope I realize when the time comes I am too old to drive it and have the good sense to sell it.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:20 AM

Us old guys with our Olds cars are indeed glad to see a young blood take an interest in classic Oldsmobiles!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:49 AM

Welcome to the site. Plenty of good advice, lots of great people. And your car looks grand! I'm itching to get my s88 on the road again. Hope to see more pics, and hear more bout your resto.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
No offense taken at all. I just had to yank your chain a little. However it does bring up a concern as to who will buy our 50's cars in say 10 years. I plan on driving mine for a number of years but I hope I realize when the time comes I am too old to drive it and have the good sense to sell it.
Even if limited to the 60+ age group your car would sell in a heartbeat. Old geezers like cool cars to....Just my bias opinion....Tedd
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
Oldsdruid

1954 Ninety Eight sedan is on my bucket list of cars to own someday. It just "looks right", well-proportioned and elegant.

And it is completely unashamed of itself, announcing "Oldsmobile Ninety Eight" across its trunk.
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:37 AM

Im a old geaser, been driving these cars since new, nothing ive , 50 s were exciting yrs, olds made history when they came out with the 49 , it set records all over the place, and every year we couldn't wait to see what was new, big change yr was 53 and we seen the first old power steering A/C and more horse power, and there were a few Fiesta convertables available.(couldn't afford one even then) and every year more exciting. loved my 54 super 88 best of all . best built of all .