The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Oldsmobile owner

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM

New Oldsmobile owner 1955 Super 88

Hey. My name is Kim Einar From Norway.

I have just buyed a 1955 Olds Super 88 Rocket 2DR

It is in god condition and have a 455 bigblock and Th350.
But i am going to do some upgrades on it.
Power disc brakes,Power steering,headers,some upgrades on suspension and the rear axel so if someone know were i can get parts for this upgrades on my car,please let me know,are having trouble finding parts like that for this car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
forum 1.JPG (195.9 KB, 27 views)
forum 2.JPG (183.4 KB, 16 views)
forum 3.JPG (176.2 KB, 13 views)
forum 4.JPG (174.9 KB, 16 views)
forum 5.JPG (192.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Kealsen; July 31st, 2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Past Administrator

You can find stuff for the engine at Summit and other mail order sources fairly easily and you can find original equipment parts for the car itself at places like Kanter and Fusick. I do not know of standard, regularly available headers for the 455 will fit your car. You might see what some of the fat fender guys have to say about that and the brake upgrade you have planned. I know that regular headers won't fit in my '46 coupe so I am still using manifolds but hope to build some custom wheel well headers some day.

Welcome to CO.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Welcome Classic Oldsmobile Kim. This company may make a kit for brakes for that Olds http://scarebird.com/. I'm guessing 55 Chevys use the same front end stuff but not sure. I'm sure others will have more to say.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

I have a 455 in my 57 Olds which is similar to yours. You won't find headers that will fit your car because of the forward steering box. Nothing fits unless you have something custom made. You can find a 55/56 power steering box on E-bay from time to time. You can use a modern power steering pump, brackets, and pulleys from a late model 455 out of a wrecking yard by doing a search on the internet or better yet post in the parts wanted section of the forum and hopefully some here has the parts and can ship them to you.

The best kits that I have found is by Scarebird Brakes. They are not cheap and you will have to upgrade the master cylinder and brake booster to a firewall mount. and fabricate the pedal assembly. I have done this and it is a lot of work. Look under the vintage Olds forum there is more the one person who has done or is currently working on this conversion

http://www.scarebird.com/
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
You can find stuff for the engine at Summit and other mail order sources fairly easily and you can find original equipment parts for the car itself at places like Kanter and Fusick. I do not know of standard, regularly available headers for the 455 will fit your car. You might see what some of the fat fender guys have to say about that and the brake upgrade you have planned. I know that regular headers won't fit in my '46 coupe so I am still using manifolds but hope to build some custom wheel well headers some day.

Welcome to CO.
Thanks...

Kanter was a new site for me
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Welcome Classic Oldsmobile Kim. This company may make a kit for brakes for that Olds http://scarebird.com/. I'm guessing 55 Chevys use the same front end stuff but not sure. I'm sure others will have more to say.
Hey

Yes i have wounderd if it´s a big diffrence between 55 chevy and 55 olds
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I have a 455 in my 57 Olds which is similar to yours. You won't find headers that will fit your car because of the forward steering box. Nothing fits unless you have something custom made. You can find a 55/56 power steering box on E-bay from time to time. You can use a modern power steering pump, brackets, and pulleys from a late model 455 out of a wrecking yard by doing a search on the internet or better yet post in the parts wanted section of the forum and hopefully some here has the parts and can ship them to you.

The best kits that I have found is by Scarebird Brakes. They are not cheap and you will have to upgrade the master cylinder and brake booster to a firewall mount. and fabricate the pedal assembly. I have done this and it is a lot of work. Look under the vintage Olds forum there is more the one person who has done or is currently working on this conversion

http://www.scarebird.com/
Hey

Okei im going to see there.
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:53 AM
...should get a life....

I thought you guys drove Fjords in Norway?
Welcome to CO. Nice looking car.
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
I thought you guys drove Fjords in Norway?
Welcome to CO. Nice looking car.
Not all of us

Thanks
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:03 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Thanks for joining up
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:15 PM

That is a great looking car. I really like the paint scheme. The stance is perfect. Would like to see pic's of the engine compartment. What rear end is in it?
Like all have said the places to go have been mentioned. The power steer pump and brackets from any '64 to 72 Cutlass with out air will work fine. May have to adapt the hoses to the gear box you use. For a bolt on power box you will have to use one from those years of car. I'm thinking Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac of those years. Good luck, great looking car. Somebody did a great amount of work

Gene
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:49 PM

Beautiful car welcome to CO