The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Olds Guy in Columbus, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Cool New Olds Guy in Columbus, Ohio

Hi...I guess it's time I stop lurking here and at least introduce myself . My name is Kris and I picked up my dream ride (at least it will be when I'm finished with it) about a year ago. My wife HATES it, but then that just means more drive time for me, . I love this site and hope to be able to contribute whilst I continue to soak up the knowledge ('cause I'm pretty green).

Kris

Also: If anyone can recommend any good shops in my area to get work done (trans, bodywork, paint, brakes etc ) , the help/input would be greatly appreciated (as I mentioned I'm a noobie).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My71SMALL.jpg (96.6 KB, 71 views)
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Try this fellow:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmskd1y/stephen-hunkins

He's been involved in the old car hobby for many years and runs his own auto restoration business that was originally started by his father. He's been the president of the Mid-Ohio chapter of the OCA for many years, and he's done work for several of the members, even to the point of transporting one of their cars on his own rig to the Oldsmobile 100th anniversary show back 1997. I know him personally, and I couldn't possibly recommend somebody more highly.

P.S. Your wife actually "hates" your car? She's not just indifferent the way mine often is? What does she do, spit on it whenever she walks by? Is that why it's so shiny? Because you're always wiping off the spit?
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Welcome & nice car. To bad about the wife "hating" it. Mine is exactly the opposite. She can't wait to get under the hood & tinker.
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Kris,
Welcome to C.O.
Seems we have a lot of 'lurkers' finally coming out of the wood work. That's great because now you can post and we can see what you're up to.

Kudo's to you for posting a pic of your car without anyone asking. That' usually a favorite for us, so by all means don't be shy about posting more of them. If you've been lurking, you know we love Olds pics.

re: work on the car? It looks to be in really nice condition based on the single pic. Things like brakes aren't that hard to do, and getting your hands dirty on the car is also a great way to save $$$ and learn about your car.

Be careful about how much time and $$$ you devote to your car instead of the wife. If she already hates the car it's a slippery slope my friend. Just curious though, why does she hate it? She not a wind in the hair type of girl or just doesn't like to drive fast?
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Try this fellow:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmskd1y/stephen-hunkins

He's been involved in the old car hobby for many years and runs his own auto restoration business that was originally started by his father. He's been the president of the Mid-Ohio chapter of the OCA for many years, and he's done work for several of the members, even to the point of transporting one of their cars on his own rig to the Oldsmobile 100th anniversary show back 1997. I know him personally, and I couldn't possibly recommend somebody more highly.

P.S. Your wife actually "hates" your car? She's not just indifferent the way mine often is? What does she do, spit on it whenever she walks by? Is that why it's so shiny? Because you're always wiping off the spit?

Thanks for the lead. I'll have to check him out in a couple of weeks when the weather is a little nicer and more predictable.

Nah, nothing so severe. When I was searching for my car, I showed her a few different GM convertible classics. Even though I knew what I wanted, I just wanted to prepare her for the era car I was talking about. She had her heart set on me getting a 69 convertible camaro that would need no work or paint. But since that's not what I wanted and funds would not permit a restored classic. I got the year and model I wanted and figured I would slowly make it into the dream...while I listen to her complain about the color (even I'm not a big fan of the brown) and gripe about how loud the flowmasters are
Kris
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by GoldN1
gripe about how loud the flowmasters are
...and she thought a Camaro would have been quieter?!?!
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
...and she thought a Camaro would have been quieter?!?!

LOL, I guess instead of pictures on ebay I should have shown her some video and insist she check out a couple more of the local car shows. I think the biggest thing is she would have liked a fully restored ride, not the driver that needs a little work.

And yeah, I'm trying to gauge how much work I can do on my own...I actually bought a front disc brake setup from a CO member, but knowing my Greeness and the importance of actually being able to stop the car am a little leary of doing the drum-to-disc thing on my own.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rcrac3r
Welcome & nice car. To bad about the wife "hating" it. Mine is exactly the opposite. She can't wait to get under the hood & tinker.
Thanks, I really like the color on your 72.

Cool, a wife that'll get under the hood and tinker with you. I'm sure my wife will come around with time and progress on the car, even though I don't think she'll ever be the tinkering sort.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site, fellow Buckeye Kris!! Congrats on getting the car you wanted. Can't beat an Olds. My husband doesn't hate Teepo (The Prettiest One), but he sure is jealous of her and all the time I spend with her, lol!
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Kris,
Welcome to C.O.
Seems we have a lot of 'lurkers' finally coming out of the wood work. That's great because now you can post and we can see what you're up to.

Kudo's to you for posting a pic of your car without anyone asking. That' usually a favorite for us, so by all means don't be shy about posting more of them. If you've been lurking, you know we love Olds pics.

re: work on the car? It looks to be in really nice condition based on the single pic. Things like brakes aren't that hard to do, and getting your hands dirty on the car is also a great way to save $$$ and learn about your car.

Be careful about how much time and $$$ you devote to your car instead of the wife. If she already hates the car it's a slippery slope my friend. Just curious though, why does she hate it? She not a wind in the hair type of girl or just doesn't like to drive fast?

Thanks for the advice...I know the slippery slope. I won't neglect my wife, plus I don't have crazy money to spend so I'm just doing a little at a time.

The car is in driver form right now, it's got a few rust spots here and there, needs the carb tuned, needs a new top, and I'd like to upgrade the transmission to a 200-4r, rear end to posi 3.42 and disc, new paint, I'll stop now and won't even think of the "might as wells" (I'm making myself feel both poor and tired thinking of my to do list . )

Kris
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Welcome to our site, fellow Buckeye Kris!! Congrats on getting the car you wanted. Can't beat an Olds. My husband doesn't hate Teepo (The Prettiest One), but he sure is jealous of her and all the time I spend with her, lol!

Thanks cutlassgal,

The buckeye welcome is appreciated here in Buckeye central . My wife isn't jealous yet and I aim to keep it that way...or at least try LOL.
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I listen to her complain about the color (even I'm not a big fan of the brown) and gripe about how loud the flowmasters are
Both are easy fixes. What color do you visualize the car in? John's 72 4 door is Viking Blue IIRC.

I don't have crazy money to spend so I'm just doing a little at a time.
Smart plan. Might be an idea to create a separate account that you just use for the car so it doesn't rob the household account when you need staples.

The car is in driver form right now, it's got a few rust spots here and there, needs the carb tuned, needs a new top, and I'd like to upgrade the transmission to a 200-4r, rear end to posi 3.42 and disc, new paint, I'll stop now and won't even think of the "might as wells"
Driver's are fun cars. If you have just some small rust spots and you're going to change the color anyway, sand down the rust areas and use some rust encapsulator for temporary relief, then use a good filler, smooth out, prime and paint a close match to existing. When you get the $$$ or skills to do the work on the body/paint then the temp fixes can be replaced with proper metal patches.

Good news on the 200R4 - it's a direct bolt up to your 350 and the tailshaft is the right length too. Get one from the wrecker now while they're cheap and easy to get.

3.42 rear end? Maybe re-think that. I just did my 72 with 3.42 last fall. Original plan was 3.23. What I've got now will be fast off the line but higher rpms even for city driving. But if you're going with a 200R4, the trans gearing will already give you an advantage on the low and high end. Have you thought about 3.08? Good mid range gear that give a balance between performance and economy. The standard axle for 71 CS was 2.56 which is a slug off the line but great on the highway. Most have the 2.73 axle though.

Beware of MAW's. They are insidious devils that never seem to be satiated. I have fallen victim to the lil buggers on many an occasion.
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Is that Antique Briar?
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard I am digging the droptop
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM

Welcome, hope to see you around.
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:37 PM

Welcome!

It's been 20+ years since I've been to any events in Ohio, but the Olds Clubs out that way were always tremendous. I hope they've kept it up. If you haven't already done so, be sure to look them up.

Welcome!
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Welcome to the site. I'm in Columbus as well. I hope to see you around this summer.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice looking car.
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
Is that Antique Briar?
The prior owner told me it is and if it's not, its close....but I'm not 100% sure (I haven't decoded the tag yet)
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:44 AM

Both are easy fixes. What color do you visualize the car in? John's 72 4 door is Viking Blue IIRC.

Smart plan. Might be an idea to create a separate account that you just use for the car so it doesn't rob the household account when you need staples.

Driver's are fun cars. If you have just some small rust spots and you're going to change the color anyway, sand down the rust areas and use some rust encapsulator for temporary relief, then use a good filler, smooth out, prime and paint a close match to existing. When you get the $$$ or skills to do the work on the body/paint then the temp fixes can be replaced with proper metal patches.

Good news on the 200R4 - it's a direct bolt up to your 350 and the tailshaft is the right length too. Get one from the wrecker now while they're cheap and easy to get.

3.42 rear end? Maybe re-think that. I just did my 72 with 3.42 last fall. Original plan was 3.23. What I've got now will be fast off the line but higher rpms even for city driving. But if you're going with a 200R4, the trans gearing will already give you an advantage on the low and high end. Have you thought about 3.08? Good mid range gear that give a balance between performance and economy. The standard axle for 71 CS was 2.56 which is a slug off the line but great on the highway. Most have the 2.73 axle though.

Beware of MAW's. They are insidious devils that never seem to be satiated. I have fallen victim to the lil buggers on many an occasion.
As far as color I eventually want to go with something kinda different, two tone like the Revel model or Foose but with the colors in Royal blue and Silver on the bottom. (I know non-traditional but not too extreme). In my dreams it has the bolt on ram-air hood and a spoiler , but...I'll keep dreaming and not break the bank.

Thanks for the advice...I will definitely consider a seperate hobby/car Bank account.

I'll check the local wreckers for a good core trans (Craigslist here is dry).

Hmm...I thought that the 3.42 with 200r4 would give me a pretty good performance/economy ratio. With gas hovering between 3.50 and 4.00, maybe consider a little less seat of my pants and keep a little more cash in my pocket .

Oh, and thanks for the warm CO welcome, and any around Columbus, I hope to see you around.
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:07 AM

Kris,

Welcome to the site.... It's always good to have new people join and it took me 23 years (after kids moved out! lol) to find another 67 cutlass like I had when was younger. Enjoy your cutlass and if there is any advice you need there are alot of good people with the knowledge to help you out....
John
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Tony

Hi...I guess it's time I stop lurking here and at least introduce myself . My name is Kris and I picked up my dream ride (at least it will be when I'm finished with it) about a year ago. My wife HATES it, but then that just means more drive time for me, . I love this site and hope to be able to contribute whilst I continue to soak up the knowledge ('cause I'm pretty green).

Kris

Also: If anyone can recommend any good shops in my area to get work done (trans, bodywork, paint, brakes etc ) , the help/input would be greatly appreciated (as I mentioned I'm a noobie).
Welcome Kris
Good to hear from you. I think she will dig it once you go to a few shows and cruses go one step at a time on that car and it wont seem like to much work keep the pictures coming!
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Welcome to the site Kris!

I know you're looking for those cool performance upgrades, but may I suggest a car/life mod? Bag the Flowmasters. Install a set that sounds cool but doesn't rattle her skull. Heck, you could likely sell the used Flowmasters on eBay to recoup some of the swap cost. Take her for an ice cream run on a nice summer evening with not-so-loud mufflers...she'll come around.

My $0.02. Enjoy your ride.
Old February 27th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Tony

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oldsman72
Welcome to the site Kris!

I know you're looking for those cool performance upgrades, but may I suggest a car/life mod? Bag the Flowmasters. Install a set that sounds cool but doesn't rattle her skull. Heck, you could likely sell the used Flowmasters on eBay to recoup some of the swap cost. Take her for an ice cream run on a nice summer evening with not-so-loud mufflers...she'll come around.

My wife surprised me she likes the mean sounding exhaust Im running 40 series flowmasters I like it when the car alarms go off down town when we drive by
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by archeryshooter
My wife surprised me she likes the mean sounding exhaust Im running 40 series flowmasters I like it when the car alarms go off down town when we drive by
Yeah man! You know you got a good sound when car alarms are screaming!
My wife won't even sit in my '72 any more...it's loud!
Our back-up car/my other toy is an '03 Mercury Marauder with just a set of Magnaflows on it. She says when she needs to drive the car, she feels like she's scaring everyone (I say: "That's the point!"). Hence she doesn't want to drive it and it's gotta go

Sorry for the hijack.....
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmm...I thought that the 3.42 with 200r4 would give me a pretty good performance/economy ratio. With gas hovering between 3.50 and 4.00, maybe consider a little less seat of my pants and keep a little more cash in my pocket .
Gear ratios of the 200R4 are: 2.74:1 first, 1.57:1 second, 1:1 third, .67:1 fourth.
Gear ratios of the TH350 are: 2.52:1 first, 1.52:1 second, 1:1 third

If you're interested in playing with the gears/tire sizes and trans types, here's a link to the Engine RPM Calculator . You can insert your choices of gears and also final drive for the 200R4 to find out how much a difference it will give you in economy. I was also thinking about the fuel costs and performance fun. As you can see there's a lot of benefit in a 200R4. Not that a TH350 isn't good, it just limits you to choosing rear gears for performance or economy. I would certainly consider a 200R4 in my car since it already has the 3.42 gears.
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by John (330 Jetfire)
it took me 23 years (after kids moved out! lol) to find another 67 cutlass like I had when was youngerJohn
Yeah, I had quite the journey as well. I always like classic rides, but didn't catch the bug until my 5 year old son (now 17) express fear of me buying a motorcycle. I thought about it and thought it would be nice to get a vehicle that the whole family could feel a little wind in their face with no fear of road rash.

Originally Posted by archeryshooter
I think she will dig it once you go to a few shows and cruises go one step at a time on that car and it wont seem like to much work keep the pictures coming!
You are probably right...after I get the car running a little more consistently (I see a carb rebuild in my future), and cruise with the family a little and go to a couple of shows I think I may win her over.

Originally Posted by oldsman72

Thanks...That's good advice (I have thought about it). I'm not really attached to the flowmasters and probably will upgrade the exhaust at sometime, but that's down the lengthening list of fixes and upgrades, but it is a priority. (I don't want it to get loud and setoff car alarms until I step on it )

Gear ratios of the 200R4 are: 2.74:1 first, 1.57:1 second, 1:1 third, .67:1 fourth.
Gear ratios of the TH350 are: 2.52:1 first, 1.52:1 second, 1:1 third

If you're interested in playing with the gears/tire sizes and trans types, here's a link to the Engine RPM Calculator . You can insert your choices of gears and also final drive for the 200R4 to find out how much a difference it will give you in economy. I was also thinking about the fuel costs and performance fun. As you can see there's a lot of benefit in a 200R4. Not that a TH350 isn't good, it just limits you to choosing rear gears for performance or economy. I would certainly consider a 200R4 in my car since it already has the 3.42 gears.
Yeah, Thanks for the info...I'd checked out a calculator before, along with a couple of threads on the trans/gear ratio (that's where I got the trans/ratio combo). I have NO intention of upgrading the gears until after I've upgraded the trans.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:19 PM

Welcome aboard Kris from Your neighbor In Indiana !!!

Richard
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:16 PM

Thumbs up

WELCOME ABOARD KRIS!! NICE CAR!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:23 AM

Kris,
Welcome, I just left Columbus. If you're looking for a good mechanic, I highly recommend Tom Wilhelm in Pataskala, I'll dig up his number. He does great work at a very fair price. He re-did my front end and the A/C for me.

Jim
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:58 PM

Thumbs up

Good TIP Jim!! (Hey, IF you're new to El Paso and looking for a GREAT Steak; head out to "Cattlemen's Restaurant" it's in TX still, though barely! but it's a working live cattle ranch and they put out the BEST Grub you'll ever come across down there!) "First To Fire!" ADA Motto down there too!
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:37 AM

I'll have to check it out when I get back (currently in Afghanistan). But ADA moved to Fort Sill, OK....Now it's the 1st Armored Division at El Paso....Iron Soldiers!