The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New and Need Help - 69 Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM

New and Need Help - 69 Vista Cruiser

Hi everyone! I am in the process of restoring a 1969 Vista Cruiser, but I'm having a very hard time finding the front curved roof glass. I HAVE to have it because mine is in pieces (only thing holding it in is the safety laminate). I have called salvage yards within 200 miles around my area (Rockford, IL) and they have nothing. I called Desert Valley Auto Parts (DVAP) and they have one for 150.00 which is fine, but they won't insure the glass...I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions or new of any good Olds salvage yards left. I Googled Hall's Oldsmobile to see if they were still around, and that led me here! =) I also subscribe to Hemmings, so I will continue to look there.

This part is the only thing really holding me back from getting a lot done with this car, I have taken all the interior out, and am converting it to black. The exterior will eventually be black too, but I want to try and drive it this summer, maybe work on the body this winter.

I have already found a lot out by just reading some of the posts, but any more help would be greatly appreciated!
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Registered

Welcome fellow Vista Cruiser.

That glass is the same up to '72 right?
I'll keep an eye out.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by cazzy2525
I called Desert Valley Auto Parts (DVAP) and they have one for 150.00 which is fine, but they won't insure the glass
So hop in the car, drive there, and get it!

Seriously, I have to believe that something like this is very hard to find, and you are lucky that you found a usable piece for a reasonable price at all. You might go five years before finding another one. I'd find some way to get this one. You could fly there, buy it in person, then pack it up yourself and ship it back home. Then you fly back home and wait for it. Expensive? Maybe? Do you want the part? Yes.
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
So hop in the car, drive there, and get it!

Seriously, I have to believe that something like this is very hard to find, and you are lucky that you found a usable piece for a reasonable price at all. You might go five years before finding another one. I'd find some way to get this one. You could fly there, buy it in person, then pack it up yourself and ship it back home. Then you fly back home and wait for it. Expensive? Maybe? Do you want the part? Yes.

Actually they are pretty common! Same glass for all 68-72 Vistas and 68-69 Buick SportWagons. If he's close to Austin, Tx I know of half dozen 69-72 Vistas in local yards.

Henry
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Registered Luser

Thumbs up

Eric (jensenracing77) might have it if he didn;t junk the hull of the beast yet...he is good to deal with, and could help....you could try to PM him!
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Registered

The problem with that glass is delamination on the edges. Unless you just want a piece of glass just to fill the hole you have to watch for that, looks bad but doesn't hurt anything otherwise.
The Wisconsin area has Vistas everywhere it seems, may want to try there. There are boneyard parts locator services that may come up with one close. Most yards belong to the service, used to be all connected with the open intercom deal and yelled what they needed to the other yards, been awhile.

http://www.car-part.com
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:35 AM

What about the part where you tell us whether you need dark tint or chrome coat...I am not close either...
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO cazzy. I sure hope you can get yourself a glass soon. I was thinking that you may find a shipper willing to insure the glass or a way to insure the glass with the DVAP people shipping it.
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

X Whatever on bone yards for the glass. Just count your slef luck you've got the 10,000 pieces of chrome.