The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Member & need help with Interior

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:30 AM

New Member & need help with Interior

Hi guys new member here. I own a 1971 442 with 40,000 orig miles. For pictures go to www.godfathergarage.net or www.doncannoli.com and click on the 442.

Unusual color of Bittersweet. Therein lies the problem trying to find interior parts( arm rests, headrests, etc.)

Can anyone help me or direct me, thanks.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:11 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard What a beautiful '71 442 I like the picture with the CCR in the tape deck Not sure who carries that particular color but I am sure someone will chime in soon.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Welcome to Classicolds. A quick check of Wild About Cars & I'm not seeing Bittersweet as an available interior color in 71. Do you have a picture of you cowl tag? For browns I see Sienna and Sandalwood. It doesn't look like Legenday carries Sandalwood but that was only available in a bench anyway
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Check out Legendary Auto Interiors. They produce the Sienna colored upholstery you're looking for. Customer service is rated very good - excellent from members who have used them. They list 2 different colors of Sienna for 71; and I suspect you are looking for the darker one. Interesting thing is one of our members (bigrig12) just dropped by last fall with his 71 SX which was also a Sienna interior and it looked fantastic. Compliments the body color very nicely.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Welcome to Classicolds. A quick check of Wild About Cars & I'm not seeing Bittersweet as an available interior color in 71. Do you have a picture of you cowl tag? For browns I see Sienna and Sandalwood. It doesn't look like Legenday carries Sandalwood but that was only available in a bench anyway
Mike, Bittersweet IS a 1971 Olds color and is PNT code 62.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Mike, Bittersweet IS a 1971 Olds color and is PNT code 62.
Exterior. The OP asked about finding interior parts. The interior appears to be Sienna but I don't know 71's.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Exterior. The OP asked about finding interior parts. The interior appears to be Sienna but I don't know 71's.
Mike - check the SPECS or AM for 71. The exterior color of Bittersweet recommends the complimentary colors of 'Sienna' or 'Sandalwood'. There is no interior color called Bittersweet. The other interior colors offered for Bittersweet exterior were black and white.

EDIT: Sandalwood was also used in 72 and I know it's available from Legendary. Rob Young did his 72 vert a couple years back with it. Front buckets and rear seat. Great looking match too.

Last edited by Allan R; February 19th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM

You can use vinyl paint (dye) to change or refresh the color of interior parts. The trim shop I use referred me to a "marine" paint and supply store to buy the vinyl dye. mrine dye as to stand up to more sever use, with sun, wter etc. It wasn't cheap...I think I paid about $200 for a quart of 1972 white. I bought Ledgendary seats covering and had the shop match the dye to my new seat covering and I painted badly stained with rust and mildew (from the backside) door panels, arm rests and head rests. They came out looking brand new. So in the scheme of things, $200 to get near perfect interior panels, headrests and arm rests was a bargain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC03016 (2).jpg (59.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC03018 (2).jpg (70.7 KB, 12 views)
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice job! Looks perfect.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:42 AM

Mike - check the SPECS or AM for 71. The exterior color of Bittersweet recommends the complimentary colors of 'Sienna' or 'Sandalwood'. There is no interior color called Bittersweet. The other interior colors offered for Bittersweet exterior were black and white.

EDIT: Sandalwood was also used in 72 and I know it's available from Legendary. Rob Young did his 72 vert a couple years back with it. Front buckets and rear seat. Great looking match too.
Allan,

I never said Bittersweet was an interior color. The poster said he had a unusual color (bittersweet) that he was having difficulty finding the interior parts for. The way it was written one could assume that the poster thought the INTERIOR color was perhaps Bittersweet (he never said "exterior"). I wanted to clarify what his INTERIOR color was. I noted that I found INTERIOR brown colors of Sienna and Sandalwood in WAC but Sandalwood was only available as a bench seat (which he obviously didn't have). I didn't see any listing for Sandalwood in Legendary's catalog but their little "Legendary" logo has an inconvenient way of appearing over the color choice.

Carry on
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No worries Mike. I get where you're coming from. FWIW I checked the Fusick catalogue and for 1971 they list Sienna brown availability for interior door trim as well as both bucket and bench seats. I did look at the OP's 442 (which is gorgeous) and the interior is definitely Sienna. Hopefully that helps the OP with his needs. IIRC Fusick is supplied by Legendary?
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM

IIRC Fusick is supplied by Legendary?
They use PUI. I think they got ticked off when Legendary started selling restoration parts in their own catalog. I think they used to sell both.
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:14 AM

Thanks for your quick response. I should have noted that my interior color is Sienna, newbie mistake. Also if anyone knows of a parted car let me know maybe i could use some interior parts from it.