The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new member just sayin hi to eveyone cool place

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM

new member just sayin hi to eveyone cool place

Hello to all just bought my dream car a 71 supreme 350 4bbl saturn gold car that i have been wantin for as long as i can rember but im only 25 so it hasnt been that long my mom had a 72 supreme when i was little dont rember much about it but the color bright yellow and the sound when my dad fired it up but since then i have wanted one i had a 79 omega in high school with a 260 was a cool car that was my first then had a 86 cutlass that was a v6 car pulled the motor out and put a 350 and 400 tubro trans but its life was short after it was done got hit and total it out so now i have the 71 found it under a lean to stoped and ask if it was for sale and the little old lady said yea so bought it from her it had been sitting for 6 years so with a little work i have gottin it runing and back on the road been driven it and enjoy it for right now trying to get eveything i need for the car before pulling it apart and fixing it car dose need some work but have never been mest with all original still had the original foor mats in the car everthing still works expet the ac but is all still there. would like yalls help with some questions about my car and what parts to use and how to decode my body tag thinks again will post pics soon
Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
car guy

welcome to the site
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:20 PM

periods
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM

Punctuation

Gene
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:36 PM

Pictures

Oh yeh... Welcome to The Classic Oldsmobile Forum!

Last edited by Jaybird; October 23rd, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Welcome. Pictures?
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Cutty

Glad to see younger guys going the classic car route.
Most guys your age just put a big muffler on an import and think their cool.
I had a 72 cutlass when I was your age and drove the hell out of it until the frame broke in half.
Enjoy your ride JROD
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Oldsdruid

Wonder if anyone told Kerouac and Burroughs "periods and punctuation" when they were on a stream-of-consciousness roll? Or William Faulkner with his 1288-word sentence for that matter? Y'all keep it up you'll drive the boy to imports with fart cans...

Jrod, welcome. Sounds like you have an Oldsmobile heart. Post pics and your body plate info and we'll help you.
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Wonder if anyone told Kerouac and Burroughs "periods and punctuation" when they were on a stream-of-consciousness roll? Or William Faulkner with his 1288-word sentence for that matter?
If this guy starts writing like Faulkner, I'll take it back. Until then, I want some punctuation so that the writing is at least marginally readable.
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Oldsdruid

I had no trouble at all reading it. But, for those who can't, out comes my red pen.

Originally Posted by Jrod
Hello to all! Just bought my dream car-a 71 Supreme 350 4bbl Saturn Gold car that I have wanted for as long as I can remember, but I'm only 25 so it hasn't been that long. My mom had a 72 Supreme when I was little, don't remember much about it but the color, bright yellow, and the sound when my dad fired it up, but since then I have wanted one. I had a 79 Omega in high school with a 260. It was a cool car that was my first. Then I had an 86 cutlass that was a V6 car- pulled the motor out and put in a 350 and 400 turbo trans but its life was short. After it was done it got hit and totalled it out so now I have the 71. Found it under a lean-to, stopped and asked if it was for sale and the little old lady said yea, so I bought it from her. It had been sitting for 6 years so with a little work I have gotten it running and back on the road. Been driving it and enjoying it for right now. Trying to get everything I need for the car before pulling it apart and fixing it. The car does need some work but has never been messed with, all original, still had the original floor mats in the car. Everything still works except the a/c but it's all still there. Would like y'all's help with some questions about my car and what parts to use, and how to decode my body tag. Thanks again, will post pics soon.

Is that better?

Keep the posts and questions coming, Jrod- if I have to translate for you so these folks can understand, it is no problem at all.
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Is that better?
Yes, it is. Thank you. He's 25 years old and ought to be able to do it himself. Too bad you have to take your own time to do it.
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Good grammer n punctuation is all well n good. But this site is about cars, give him a few posts to straighten out.
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Welcome to CO . Sweet find.

Ted
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Oldsdruid

He's 25 years old and writes the way he talks, as most his age do, and wouldn't surprise me if he posted from an iPhone or similar. Ppl wh uz thz oftn ct thgs shrt to avd txt chrgs. (People who use those often cut things short to avoid texting charges.) Besides, most phone keypads are not punctuation-friendly. I hate having to change screens on mine and then search for appropriate punctuation, so even I, with a Columbia University Scholastic Press Association award for excellence in high-school journalism under my belt, will often forgo punctuation in a text message.

If the kid leaves and doesn't come back, it's on your head. He has a car he's tickled with and he wants to share with and learn from like-minded people, so there is no excusable reason to hammer him over punctuation in his very first post. Attitudes like this are one reason the old car hobby has trouble attracting young people- they don't want to deal with this sort of bullshit.

Jrod, sorry for the hijack and the direction your thread has taken. If the moderators would clean it up to get it back on track, it would be good. Keep the questions coming- there are people here who can answer them.
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Welcome to the site... I agree it's good to see the younger guys getting into the older cars. Any pics?
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Jrod... welcome to the site. Ninety nine percent of the folks on here are decent, helpful types. Just like any other group, there are members that for one reason or another feel the need to try to bring others up to their standard. Others just like to bitch to make themselves appear to be more important. We all could use a Kumbaya moment here. Give it a rest, guys.
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by tecar442
Jrod... welcome to the site. Ninety nine percent of the folks on here are decent, helpful types. Just like any other group, there are members that for one reason or another feel the need to try to bring others up to their standard. Others just like to bitch to make themselves appear to be more important. We all could use a Kumbaya moment here. Give it a rest, guys.
I agree that it's time to end the bickering! Coming from a moderator
If I was a newbie and seen this post I would think differently about posting here again! Also, I do agree that we need to make a noble attempt to be understood by using proper punctuation and making complete thoughts model, engine and what have done so far to fix or find the problem.

I am not taking any ones side, just my view!
Pat
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:00 PM

So,let me get this straight.This fellow,Jaunty is a moderator?Awfully rude for a moderator.Looks like he chased this young man away.Nice going!Who's in charge here?time for a new moderator.What an *******.I'm done with this!!!!!!!!
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Well then

That was not the replies i was thanking that i would get. Did not know that the was part english... So i recken i get a f on my first post. Sorry for the missin periods and punctuation. I do type like the way i talk so if there is a problem with that then dont read what i post. Not into fart cans and imports never had been if i was to ever do something like that i would kick my own ***. You can't help some people and the way they act i just look past them it's not that big of a deal i know im not that great of a typer or speller that is some of my week points in life. Everyone has something there not good at or doing something. I can live with myseif so this is a old saying give respect and you will get respect. Thanks for the people that acted like they had some sence to them. Yes i am alot younger the most of the people on hear but we are hear to help each other out and that we all love oldsmobiles. It is hard for a guy my age to get respect cuz of the 90 precent of the people my age act the way they do. Im not like them. I own my home do not live at home with mom and dad i pay my bills i have been married for 2 year and have a 2 year old little boy. Heck thats better them most people of any age anymore so dont juge a book by it cover cuz of there punctuation and try to belittle them.
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:58 PM

my car

What do yall thank?
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Oldsdruid

Jrod, I will help you any way I can with your car and I feel most other people here will too. It's cool that you found a car you've wanted and got it running after sitting six years. Saturn Gold is a good color if a little hard to maintain.

There are several Oldsmobile parts vendors who can supply stuff for your car and the guys here are always selling off extra parts. 68-72 Cutlass have the best reproduction support of all Oldsmobiles.

We're waiting for pictures!
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Yup, lots of good peopl e on this forum willing to help....I am working on a 72 350 4bbl, and will be turning to the forum for help!
Do you have any history on the car other than what you have told us? Maybe you could post a pic of the cowl tag ?

Ted

Last edited by sammy; October 25th, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Addition
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM

Welcome, Jrod.

We old guys put a little more emphasis on punctuation and grammar.
We're still adjusting to the idea that punctuation and capitalization are becoming a thing of the past.
Don't let it be a turn off.

You've come to the right place.
You can find out probably anything you'll need to know about your car here
as well as find about any part you'll need as well.

I'm sitting here thinking that you having a '71 car at 25 years old today would be
like me having had a '33 model car in 1974 when I was 25 years old! (Damn,I'm really old! )
That's kinda cool.
I had a '69 W-30 around that time.
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ctsplicer
So,let me get this straight.This fellow,Jaunty is a moderator?Awfully rude for a moderator.Looks like he chased this young man away.Nice going!Who's in charge here?time for a new moderator.What an *******.I'm done with this!!!!!!!!
His signature box says "Moderatee", and rightfully so.
Sounds like he needs "moderating".
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
car guy

Jauntry75 is not a moderator. Its the word he chose to use by his avatar.

Jrod. It does make it easier to read if you at least make spaces between sentences. We have guys and gals young to old. We all have Olds in common so lets keep that in mind before we jump all over a new member
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Welcome to the forum. Do you have any pics? We all like pics.
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Jauntry75 is not a moderator. Its the word he chose to use by his avatar.

Jrod. It does make it easier to read if you at least make spaces between sentences. We have guys and gals young to old. We all have Olds in common so lets keep that in mind before we jump all over a new member
X2 Welcome aboard
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:32 AM

How to load pics

I have tried ten times to load pics but keeps saying a token is needed to do so what is that all about? So thats why they are not up yet can anyone help me figure it out? Thanks again i will try and to better on my post.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM

You know I have the same problem. I've posted pic's before , now I need a token. I can not figure that one out.

Gene
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM
car guy

Not sure. I just use photobucket links.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Kudo's on living the dream, married, kids, own home, and an old car! By the way, I'm older, just not old.

For pictures:

If you click on the go advanced button, then click on the paperclip. Then click on one of the browse buttons and go to your pictures, click on your picture and hit save. Then it goes back to the mange pictures screen and click upload. You can load up to 5 pictures per post. When your done click on the close window. Then you can click on preview post and see if they are there. If everything is as you like then click on the submit reply, and your done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000_1757.jpg (83.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by oldcutlass; October 26th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jrod
I have tried ten times to load pics but keeps saying a token is needed to do so what is that all about? So thats why they are not up yet can anyone help me figure it out? Thanks again i will try and to better on my post.
Jrod,
Late to the game here, but welcome to C.O.

Congratulations by the way. Not very many 25 year olds I know have taken on the personal life challenges you have. A 2 year old son will grow up so fast; I say that from experience. And remember - keep the wife happy. Aw shucks who am I to talk. I found out that it's easier to ask forgiveness sometimes than permission. Fortunately I'm married to a very loving and accommodating woman who lets me have my project time and money.

I can appreciate how out of control this thread seemed to get at the beginning; let's move past that and deal with you and your car/plans.

As mentioned by several of the ^^^ mentioned fellows, I'll be glad to lend any suggestion or comments that may be helpful to your cause.

You're not alone with posting pics. Others have had similar issues so I put together this little blurb. (copy/paste) here it is. Hope it helps you post pics to your thread.

* clik the 'go advanced' tab
* Press the icon that looks like a paper clip; and A 'Manage Attachments' box will appear
* Choose (navigate on your computer to where the pics are stored) and hit 'open'. repeat for all 5 pics.
* Hit 'upload'. It may take a bit of time depending on your pic resolution. If you have ultra high res, you will have to 'resize' them with your picture editor to a 1024X768 size for the C.O. server to accept them.
* Close the "manage attachments' box.
* Preview your post and the images will be at the bottom
* Hit 'submit post' and the thread will have the images installed at the bottom. Unfortunately you can only do 5 pics at a time this way.

If you have the pics hosted on another web server?
* Copy the IMG url and Press the icon that looks like an envelope with mountains on it. Paste the URL into that box and hit 'ok'. You can install up to 20 images this way.
* Be sure to preview your work.
* Make sure the images don't carry on across the page, stack them for easier viewing.
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Congrats on the car. As a 28 yr old with a new to me 70 delta just wanna say good luck on the project, it's quite the deal to see the looks on people's faces when you pull up in a car older than you are.
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Welcome.I apologize for thinking Jaunty was a moderator,I guess he's just an idiot.But welcome just the same.I just can't stand it when someone has the audacity to think he's better than someone else because of his or her punctuation.As my dad used to say,"there was only one perfect human being,and they nailed him to a cross.Do you really want to be perfect?"So let's see some pictures already!
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Welcome to CO

Lets see those pictures now that you have had pictures 101. Great to have another young Old's fan on board
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:27 PM

My car

Had to use photobucket cuz it still wouldnt let me up load them. Tell me what yall thank.
Attached Images
IMG_2253.jpg (42.5 KB, 54 views)
IMG_2249.jpg (67.1 KB, 48 views)
IMG_2248.jpg (39.4 KB, 44 views)
IMG_2245.jpg (45.0 KB, 49 views)
IMG_2242.jpg (64.6 KB, 45 views)
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well sir, it looks like you got it done. Too bad its not an SX. Doesn't matter though because it's a great looking car. I see it has the original Oldsmobile floor mats - don't see that very much anymore.

One thing I can see on the cowl tag - it's an Arlington produced car built in the first week of April. I cannot read the paint code though.

Thanks for the pics. I know you're itching to get at that engine compartment and clean it up
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks

Yes i was shocked to see the original floor mats in the car when i looked at it the od is showing 18356 miles but the old lady w.as not sure if that all it had on it cuz it was he late husbans car the bought it new in 71 i asked if she still had the paper work but she did't. The door pins have never been replace the doors shut like they are new even the door strickers has the rollers still on them. So i feel like the miles are right, but hard to belive. I had found serive card for the 80's and earily 90's in 92 the last one i have it shows the car with 11376 miles when the oil was changed but after that it skips to 2002. Where he took it to a gm shop and had the power steering gear box replace, and they had the miles at 114632 so who knows. Yea i want to clean up under the hood but that is history under there evey line is hook up where it gose the under the hood light work and the washer still works. Not sure with way i am going to build the car go back like it was all original or change it up.
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I understand. Make a plan - a realistic one - about what you want to do and what you can afford to spend.

I would start with the safety critical issues first and worry about cosmetics later. One thing I can see from the underhood pic that you should look into right away is your master cylinder is leaking. You can either have that OEM one rebuilt or you can find a nice replacement. I'll have to look up the source but I remember seeing the proper ones on line at a ??Chevy site?? that has the right bleeders on it for a good price.

If you're interested, I can put together a small list of things to check and send it to you via PM.

I don't know what your mechanical skills and abilities are. Maybe you could outline that in a sentence or two?
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Very nice car.

Quick Reply: new member just sayin hi to eveyone cool place