The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Member Intro

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 06:41 AM

New Member Intro

Hello,
I'm John, long time owner of a '68 Cutlass S w/ a 350-2bbl, Jetaway, Scarlet Red w/ black vinyl Holiday coupe w/ black bench interior & 3-spoke sport steering wheel. I've owned this car since '81 when I purchased it from my dad as my first car w/ about 68,000 miles on the odo. He purchased it from its original owner in '74, who was dad's next-door neighbor, so I know where this car's been since it was new. The story from dad's neighbor was that he was driving home from the lake and when he passed the Olds dealership, he spotted this car sitting on the showroom floor and decided to stop to take a closer look. He liked it so much that he ended up driving it home. My mom actually was the primary driver of the car until I took possession, it was her favorite car, she always claimed that all she had to do was *think* about going faster and it would respond. It now has 118,000 miles on the odo.

I've been lurking here at Classicoldsmobile.com for several weeks, I've been a member over at ROP for quite a few years. I find that there is a wealth of information here too so I decided to join this forum as well. I hope I can bring some useful information along to share.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; June 9th, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Welcome to CO. You probably know already that we like pictures.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Ever since some one pointed out they didnt like the tail lights on the 68 it has sort of stuck with me that I like them the best on that year . Sounds like a nice car ! look farward to photos too . Were was it bought new at ?
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi John, welcome aboard. Always nice to hear stories like this and it's particularly once that you know most of the vehicles history.

What options on the car?
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the quick & warm welcome folks! I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

firefrost gold, the car was originally purchased from Collins Olds on Coldwater Rd in Ft. Wayne, IN. It is now a Hyundai dealership. I too like the tail lights on the '68s the best too, but drooling over this car since the age of 13 probably has something to do with that.

Allan R, I'm not "proficient" Olds historian, so I'm not exactly sure what was an option on this car or not. But its bascally a '68 S Holiday coupe w/ black vinyl bench / black carpet interior, 3-spoke sport (442 / Corvette style) steering wheel, 2-sp AT on the tree, plain "Oldsmobile" hubcaps on steel 14" wheels, drums all around, no A/C, PS/PB, AM radio, cigar lighter, manual windows. No gauges or tach, just a clock and idiot lights. Exterior has the nice louvered 442 style hood, chrome body mouldings, chrome wheel opening mouldings. Over the years, my dad added an under-dash A/C unit (still kinda works, its holding the R12, but not really cooling very well), I added a set of 14" chrome SSI rims running 245-60-14 Radial T/As, a Pioneer "Super Tuner III" cassette in-dash w/ nice Blaupunk 6x9s in the back deck powered by a 150W amp.

In the mid '80s, I was involved in a minor RR fender bender, which prompted me to take a night body-shop class to repair the damage using the shop's tools. By the end of this class (and w/ a few weekends priming the car in my dad's garage) I had it ready for color and had it repainted in the orignal Scarlet Red under a clear coat (which reveals my ameteur body work quite nicely, don't get closer than 20' please!). It still wears the original black vinyl top. I've kept the car off wet / salty roads since the re-paint in '86 (as did the original owner, and dad minimized its time on the salt too).

I rebuilt the front suspension from the bushings-out w/ polygraphite bushings back in the early '90s. When the radiator needed to be replaced, I had the orignial endcaps re-cored w/ a 4-row radiator and added a clutch fan (this took care of occasional over-heating issues in traffic created when the A/C was added). In '06 I rebuilt the Type-O rear axle and swapped the original 2.78 gears w/ a 3.90 Richmond set and a posi diff from Supercars (fresh bearings / seals / rear brakes at the same time), and it is suspended through a set of SSM "Lift Bars" and adjustable Edlebrock UCAs (still factory springs). A rear sway bar from a '69 442 was added too (had actually been using this for years on the stock non-boxed LCAs using spacers prior to the rear end rebuild). Of course, this 3.90 gear eliminated all highway cruising w/ the Jetaway, so I'm now in the process of a 200-4R swap using a "Street/Strip" build from CK Performance.

Last year I replaced the upholstry and carpet to get the interior up to snuff (door panels and headliner are still in pretty good shape). My future plans include an engine rebuild w/ a 4-bbl, Performer RPM, headers, P&P heads / larger valves, cam, etc (shooting for around 400HP). Definately want to keep it Olds-powered. Also a tall-spindle front disk brake swap is in the plans as well, which will include better springs / shocks / sways. Will probably also install a faster steering gear (or possibly a R&P setup) at that time as well. The disk brakes will require me to get larger rims/tires, will probably consider the 17" version of the SSIs that YearOne sells.

I plan on passing this car onto my kids eventually, as I'm trying to involve them as much as possible when I work on the car. My 4-y/o son now knows the difference between a crescent wrench and a box-end wrench, and my 11 y/o daughter has helped me w/ a few oil changes already.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; June 9th, 2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Welcome, sounds like a nice ride.
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Here's some pics. After digging these out of my archives, I'm reminded how old these are and that I need to get some fresh ones taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68Cutlass-4.JPG (44.9 KB, 33 views)
68Cutlass-6.JPG (42.3 KB, 32 views)
cutside.jpg (46.2 KB, 33 views)
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:31 AM

Here's a couple pics of another Olds I used to own. Also owned a '69 Toronado for a few years before losing it in a divorce to my 1st ex. Unfortunately I have only one pic of it (35mm print) w/ my ex behind the wheel.
Attached Images
70 Cutlass Front.jpg (64.8 KB, 23 views)
70 Cutlass Side.jpg (71.8 KB, 21 views)
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Welcome aboard

Nice ride
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Very nice cars.
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome John.
Nice story and great cars.
Old June 11th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Welcome to the site!
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM

Welcome. I recognize the car from a sig on ROP. Scarlet 68's.....yeah!
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:59 PM

Welcome. I like the 68 tail lamps too!
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:04 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO and nice car!
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Randy C.

Welcome to the site! Nice '68 and your other Olds looks pretty nice as well! Lots of '68 and '69 A-body people here. Enjoy!

Randy C.
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:47 AM
tds

Welcome! Are you still in the Ft. Wayne area?
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks again for the warm welcomes!

Originally Posted by tds
Welcome! Are you still in the Ft. Wayne area?
Why yes I am, born and raised.

Interesting story on my '68, years ago there was a cosmetic "twin" to my car running around town that I first saw on a used car lot in the early '80s. Externally, it looked identical to mine, but peeking inside I noted that it had a remote side mirror and a "speed minder" speedo (neither of which my car has), but had the "plain" steering wheel. Years later (late '80s / early '90s), I spot what I believe is the same car, apparently being driven by a police officer who was stopped at an intersection to direct traffic during rush hour. Car was still in pretty good shape from what I could tell driving by. A few years after that (mid '90s) I was at a buddy's house shooting the breeze, and one of his friends stops by, who happens to be the PO that owned the "twin" to my car! He confirmed that it was he who I saw years earlier directing traffic. However, he had sold the car by the time I met him. I'm unaware of its whereabouts now.

Speaking of my buddy, shortly after HS graduation, when he and I and a few other friends would gather, it looked like we were all members of the Nova / Cutlass gang, as there'd be a handful of each parked in the street. He had a turquoise '69 F-85 and his wife had a '70 cream C/S w/ the 310HP 350/4bbl. That '70 was in "cream puff" condition and pretty darn fast. At a new-years eve party one year, we were both parked along side the country road out front, my '68 right behind his (their) '70. At some point, someone heard a crash out front and came looking for the "owner of the Cutlass" . Apparently some drunk sideswiped his '70 and creamed the LR quarter panel and kept on driving. How they missed smearing my '68 is beyond me. Must be that clean living.

I could go on...........like that time we both drove down to a concert in Indy one year (mid '80s), this time he was driving his '72 C/S (also a 350-4bbl, but not as fast as his '70 that got creamed on new years eve) and I was driving my '69 Toro. We got side by side on I-69 coming home (late night / light traffic). We both hammered it, staying side-by side up to about 90 MPH in 2nd gear. I heard his car shift into 3rd moments before the Toro, and at that point the 455 started pulling away. I still miss that Toro, the A/C would frost the vents, and I think I got more speeding tickets in it than any other car I've owned. I had put a set of 70-series Radial T/As w/ RWLs on it, looked pretty sporty. Loved the flat floor and tumbler speedo, but the vacuum-operated everything (headlamps, trunk release, and DOOR LOCKS TOO??) meant that I had to keep a roll of vacuum line in the tool box. Like I said earlier, I lost that to my ex, she eventually sold it to another friend of mine after she let the trans fluid get too low and burnt something. He had the trans rebuilt, but it was never quite the same after that. His brother eventually parted it out for him.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; June 13th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.