The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member - 76 Cutlass 442

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2021, 10:13 PM

New member - 76 Cutlass 442

Hello, everyone! So I just picked up this 76 Cutlass as a project car for my son and I. It was a barn find out of Nebraska. It runs and drives, though I wouldn't take it very far right now!

Why this car? I always liked the way the sloped front end looked on these. A friend of mine in high school had one and I had a 76 Pontiac LeMans, but I always liked his a little better. You don't see these very often so I decided to roll the dice on it. It needs a bit of everything: mechanical, interior, body, etc. so I think it will be a good one to learn on, though I know parts for these can be tough to find. I just want to make a good driver out of it since I don't think I have the budget or interest to restore it to 100% original anyway. Frankly, my biggest fear right now is getting it through emissions. Next step is getting it to a real mechanic (I'm an amateur) to go over it and give me all the bad news, so I can figure out what we can do and what I'll have to farm out. Wish me luck, I'm sure I'll have questions soon!

Old February 12th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. The body looks pretty solid.
Old February 12th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Oldsdruid

I like it.

Which engine? A 76 could have a 455...😏 but it could also have a 260...😒

I don't know what emissions testing there is like. Here in VA depends on how a car over 25 years old is licensed whether it has to go thru emissions.

First thing is to get the factory 1976 Oldsmobile Chassis Service and Fisher Body manuals for it. Then start learning which other 73-77 GM Colonnades it shares parts with.

These cars can be a lot of fun. There's a reason the Cutlass was the most popular car in the US those years.

Last edited by rocketraider; February 12th, 2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021, 11:37 AM

Welcome aboard. The car looks to be in overall good shape.

Where are you located, and what type of emissions check will be expected? tailpipe only, or is a visual inspection also performed? There are ways to meet emissions - I did it with my 71 here in Phoenix for years before we finally got an exemption for collector vehicles.
Old February 12th, 2021, 01:54 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Overall it looks good from the photo... What's in it for a drive train???
Old February 12th, 2021, 04:59 PM

Thanks everyone!

Its a 350-4 barrel. When I ran the VIN that is what the car came with, though I'm not sure yet its the original. If I remember, there should be a VIN on the block somewhere, but I haven't found it yet, if anyone has a tip on that.

The body is good overall, but the pictures don't show a few spots. Both rear quarters need replacing and the floorpan has a big hole someone patched. Eventually I just want to replace the whole floorpan. There is some rust at the bottom rear of the drivers door and a few spots around the rear windows, but I think that's all fixable. Everything looks straight, though; there aren't even any parking lot dents.
The interior is trashed; It will need new upholstery, headliner, door panels and dash, all the little trim pieces. Radio missing, power windows but they don't work. It was originally white vinyl with tan carpet and dash. Haven't decided if I'll keep that or do something else. It has the swivel buckets, but the driver's seat doesn't lock.

I live in Colorado, so the emission test is an inspection and tailpipe. Unfortunately I live in one of the seven counties in the state that actually requires cars this old to get a test. It does qualify for what are called collector plates, and the DMV clerk told me I just need a test to get the plates and then I won't need to retest.

Mechanically, the engine runs well and the transmission shifts good. There are some small leaks but nothing you don't expect from a car that sat for awhile. I'm sure some of the gaskets and seals are just rotten. The brakes are ok but I'll have a pro check them. They're front disc/rear drum and I'm studying how to do the drum to disc conversion. Steering is loose so it probably needs a new box but the power assist works. I'm sure there is some suspension and wiring work to do also.

Having listed all the problems, I still think the car has good bones overall. Besides, my son said he wants to learn how to fix up cars and this one needs a bit of everything, so here's our chance!

Rocketraider, I will look for those manuals and I won't be surprised if a few of the interior parts come from a LeMans or a Malibu. I agree these cars are fun, I have good memories of them. If the engine isn't the original, I might look for a 455 down the road, but I'll pass on the 260...might as put a V6 in it!

Thanks to all of you for the welcome!
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:29 PM
1975 Cutlass

Thumbs up How to clean your catalytic converter.

Here's a tip that worked for me to pass emissions. I just purchased a 1975 Supreme with 60k original miles. (Was used by teachers to get around the campus at a college in West Virginia)
Buy a 1/2 gallon of paint thinner. With the fuel tank almost empty, pour the thinner into the tank and fill the tank half way. Now drive the car till you hit 1/8 of a tank, then refuel.
The paint thinner mix will burn hotter in the catalytic converter and open any clogged ports. When I took the car for emission testing, it passed with Zero emissions.
Give it a try. Cost you less than $20 Got this trick from a retired 77 year old mechanic.

Old February 12th, 2021, 06:24 PM

lots of knowledge here.. if you happen to be near denver.. the Olds Club of America advisor for 73-77 is in Arvada.. he can help you also.
some interior parts from other marques may fit, if not 'correct' .. several guys here that have used parts..post in parts wanted as you need.
have fun!
BG
74 Salon
Old February 12th, 2021, 07:08 PM

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Why this car? I always liked the way the sloped front end looked on these.
The nose makes the car for me as well.

Its a 350-4 barrel. When I ran the VIN that is what the car came with, though I'm not sure yet its the original. If I remember, there should be a VIN on the block somewhere, but I haven't found it yet, if anyone has a tip on that.
This may help. I believe your heads should be #8 and the vin derivative will be just below it towards the front on drivers side of engine.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...i-have-129894/
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:10 PM

Thanks, Bill. Arvada is not far, its actually where I bought the car.
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:11 PM

Thanks, DC, I'm gonna keep this in mind.
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:13 PM

I'm going to check for that VIN on the block tomorrow. Its so cold tonight I don't even want to go into the garage tonight!
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:53 PM

I live in Colorado, so the emission test is an inspection and tailpipe. Unfortunately I live in one of the seven counties in the state that actually requires cars this old to get a test. It does qualify for what are called collector plates, and the DMV clerk told me I just need a test to get the plates and then I won't need to retest.
I understand, I had to run my 71 through annual emissions testing (IM-240 dyno tailpipe sniff test) for a decade before the legislature passed an exemption for older cars. I can give you some info on tuning that I learned from Bob Powers to get the engine running as clean as possible; this info allowed my car to run cleaner than ever and easily pass emissions testing. Mine was old enough to be tested only for HC and CO, yours should have NOx test as well since it has a catalytic converter.
Old February 13th, 2021, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it. I ordered the manuals Rocketraider told me about, so hopefully that will let me figure out exactly what equipment it had. I haven't had a car this old since the 1980s, so I can't remember. The contents page said there was a chapter on emissions, so I'm hoping it starts with something that says "These cars are equipped with the following..." Here in CO, they check for it.
Old February 19th, 2021, 09:58 PM

Hello and welcome!

73-77' is the best years, so i see you made a good choice. Colour combination outside is awesome. Have fun with the car with your son.
Old March 11th, 2021, 09:02 PM

Update

So my "new" Cutlass is currently in the hands of a professional mechanic, giving it the once-over so I know everything wrong with it.
The Bad:
It has enough leaky gaskets the best option is probably to just pull the motor and fix them all at once.
Needs Ball Joints
Little more rust underneath than I thought
Wiring problems
Bunch of other little stuff
The Good:
It is the original motor
If the motor needs pulling, maybe just rebuild it while its out? He thinks the motor is actually in pretty good shape other than the gaskets
Brakes are good other than a small leak
Frame is good, body is good other than the rust I already knew about.
Shouldn't be too hard to make a driver out of it; not cheap, but doable.
The Ugly:
Still not sure about getting it through emissions, since it is missing some of the equipment.

He suggested I keep an eye out for another Colonnade Car (73-77 Regal/Century, Malibu, LeMans, Cutlass) to use as a parts car. You don't see many of them, though. There is a 77 Regal nearby at a dealer that specializes in "Mechanic's Specials," but they're asking $3500 for it, which is more than I paid for the Cutlass! I might go look at it tomorrow and see if it could work. Would that make it an OldsmoBuick?

On the up side, when I suggested to my wife and kids that we could sell the Cutlass and find something else if they thought it was going to be too expensive a project, they all said "We like this car, its a cool car, we don't care how much it will cost, we can just store it until we can afford whatever it needs." I love how free they are with my money!

My son likes this car so much he promised me that if we don't keep it and fix it up, when I am an old man he will put me in the worst retirement home he can find! I think I laughed for five minutes straight when he said that.