The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM

Well my fiance has finally convinced me to give up my motorcycle and a recent "near miss" had a little something to do with convincing me also.

I have always admired the shape and style of the 71/72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convt and said if ever I had the chance that is the classic car I would get.

And so my journey begins, I have be looking over the craigslist postings up and down the east coast, as well as all of the other popular car sites. Looking for the 72 cutlass convert.. viking blue, white interior, bucket seats, console shift...
The more I look the more I lean toward the 72 over the 71.

I joined CO and read some outstanding posts / pics on restoration projects..
you guys are very inspiring!!

Any suggestions, words of advice, or a little shared wisdom as I begin would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Hello Welcome....good luck with your search. My piece of advice is it is cheaper in the long run to buy a car that is good driver quality and above. paint and body work is expensive so if you find the one you want done chances are you would not be able to build one for the cost of a project and then the work. I am partial to 72's but the 71's had better performance. research what you have to spend and get the best car for the money.

There are a lot of people that will help answer as many questions as possible.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
olds..older..oldest

getting into the Olds vibe

Ditto on the '71 vs. '72 , but you gotta go with what moves ya' .Get as solid a daily driver as you can afford , as resto costs add up super-fast! That's definately a great colour combo .Remember : you'll always regret the things you didn't do more than the thin gs you did , so even if you have to stretch the budget for a car you really love...go for it! Derek
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Be prepared to look at alot of bondo queens. Take a magnet with you, when you look at one. It took about 6 months of looking before I got my 71 vert. I was looking for a 68 to 72. It needs work but was the best I could afford at the time but the big thing for me It was a driver. I can work on it in the winter and drive during the rest of the year. Good luck with your search.

I found mine not to far from you outside of Alexandria. As far as I can tell it never left VA until I took it to MD.

If you find one to far away you can post it and probably if someone on the board is close buy they will look at it for you.

Larry
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM
...should get a life....

I'm with Olds luvr. If you can, spend the money and get one that's done. There are newbies popping up on CO regularly with 71 & 72 verts in real nice shape. I started out looking at '70 442 clones cos I couldn't afford a real good genuine 442 but I ended up with a factory 442 optioned 72 model for around $6000 less than a 70 clone. They're out there & I'm looking forward to seeing what you bring home.
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Keith.
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Oldsdruid

Eastern VA Olds Club is based in Richmond. www.oldsclub.com, then search local chapters for their contact information. Not sure how active they are now- seems like most of the ASE Zone clubs have kinda fizzled. Someone there may have a lead on the car you want.

Or you could go here, Louisville ain't that far away and I-64 takes ya right to it! The guys on Oldspower have been hooping and hollering about this one the last couple days.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1910656755.html

Hey, I guess someone thinks it's beautiful...
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hi Keith and welcome to our site!! I love the 72's also... drop top or not!
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Thanks to everyone for their advice. It looks like a great group of people here
at CO.. I cant wait to get that Olds in the garage!!! Do you think I would jumping the
gun to start putting up some Olds Service signs out there?? Maybe a 442 banner ??

Rocketraider... ummm I looked at your link...and well.. since I didnt have my decoder ring I couldnt fully understand what was said in the ad..but just going by the Wagon Wheels (That is what the finace calls them).. I think I would pass on the KY olds,..hahhahaha
Just seems wrong doing that to a classic car... but thats me. Seems like that would be
dangerous at highway speeds also...??

Keith
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Oldsdruid

That's why everybody's been laughing about that ad and car. It's ridiculous, but there are people in the world who think what they've done to that poor car is beautiful. The asking price is really ridiculous, but dirty money knows no taste. The seller knows his target audience, no doubt.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Rocketraider, I saw that car as well, Only 30" gold spinners in the world (thank goodness) and the guy has 130 racks into it ...good luck

As to rivr42t just look and if you have x amount to spend just be wise with it, shop around and be cautious.

When I was looking for another one I was dealing with a guy and saw hundreds of photos of the car, new interior new paint and drove 14 hours to see it, brought a trailer to bring it home.... Seeing the car in person I find out that Maaco paints better and the guy had a cabinet painter paint it in the yard (the pictures looked great!!) the white interior was not new but the seller was very clear it was new and that he replaced it 5 or 6 years prior....I believe the guy asumed I would buy the car sine I came all that way. Asking price was around 17k and at 9k I would not have bought it as all the work would have had to be undone

Moral is do not buy one sight unseen and take everything that is stated with a grain of salt. one of your best tools will be knowledge. Know what you are looking for and reasearch prices....if you see a car way under value question it before you assume it is a good deal...Good luck and do your homework
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Olds Luvr thanks for the advice & I will keep that in mind. Im definitely going to try to not to get to caught up in the purchase...being willing to walk away and just keep looking if there are too many red flags.
I am reading up on every ones elses posts on how they found their car and what experiences they had and how some things were "hidden" by the seller, what to
look for...etc etc.
Knowledge is power! Thanks again!
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Your fiance is a smart lady. I've been a Harley tech for 10 years and have had a bike in my garage since 1974. Last year I said the heck with motorcycles and started my search for a Cutlass convertible. Like everyone has said, Take your time. I wanted a 72 survivor in good shape. Something that was'nt perfect but not molested. I looked at about 20 cars and after a year and a half, I found a great car. Dont get discouraged if you look at a car and its a mess. The right one will come along. I thought I would have to spend stupid money to get something I would be satisfied with but my patience paid off and was within my budget. Good luck and welcome to CO