The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Member with 1972 442 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2020, 03:14 PM

New Member with 1972 442 Convertible

Yep - another new member here. I have a 72 442 convertible that I bought from a guy in Canada about 16 years ago. Unfortunately, at the time, i couldn't find one here in California. I had some grand plans of changing it to a 455, bucket seat car - but then I found out through Olds of Canada, that it was fully documented.
I got the docs and then realized that I had to keep it original. It had some really deep rot on the floorboards as you would expect being that it was a canada car. It was so heavily undercoated, it took me a while to even see the floorboards from underneath.

I gave it to a body guy here in CA who tore it down ( i really suck at body work), blasted the body, and proceeded to let it sit for about 7 years. I could not get the guy to work on it and barely managed to get it back before he ran off to another state to avoid facing bad consequences from a number of his customers. So, I got the car back in a million pieces. Some that actually went on it and quite a bit of parts mixed in from his other projects. So, I barely escaped with the bulk of it while many others still haven't even found their cars as of yet. Its a long story and albeit painful, I'm just happy to have it back.

Now the car is at another shop, body is almost done and we're piecing the puzzle back together slowly with hopes of actually driving it this summer. Like most of you here, I grew up in one of these cars, and will not rest until i hear that rocket sound coming out of that dual exhaust. I love this car, and I'm pretty sure that after all this, I'll be buried in it. So, I may have to ask for some help along the way with this as i was not lucky enough to be the one to disassemble it. Kicking myself for that. Anyway, thanks for admitting me to the group and i promise to search first! Thanks... Dave

Old May 20th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sweet ride.
Old May 20th, 2020, 03:52 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Sharp looking 442...
Old May 20th, 2020, 06:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

A refreshingly correct 72 with the original metal hood and correct stripe package. Very nice.
Old May 20th, 2020, 06:45 PM
Head Floor Sweeper

Very, very nice car! Welcome to the group.

Travis
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:13 PM

Nice ride Dave. I assume your in nor cal, I’m an Santa Rosa and we’ve had a few of those body guys around here. One in Quentin and another just now being prosecuted.
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:34 PM

Yep - I'm in Folsom. Lawyers don't help much with these sheisters. I really feel bad for the guys that never got any of their cars
back. A lot of people looking for him. At least I'm on the road to recovery.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A refreshingly correct 72 with the original metal hood and correct stripe package. Very nice.
I second that one.
Super nice ride.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Originally Posted by Dockolds
I second that one.
Super nice ride.
Look again people. Either this is a very nice 72 34267 that has been rebadged, or it's a 72 442 that has had rocker trim added. Not the way it left the factory, that's for sure. Very nice looking car even if the details aren't correct.

Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:51 AM

I believe Allan is correct. This is not the way it left the factory according to the build sheet that I got from Olds of Canada. It came from the factory with OAI hood and somewhere along the way, the hood was swapped. Who knows why. This car was supposedly some concourse winner there in Canada but not sure why. It was in pretty rough shape underneath all the green paint.

Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Sierra442
I believe Allan is correct. This is not the way it left the factory according to the build sheet that I got from Olds of Canada. It came from the factory with OAI hood and somewhere along the way, the hood was swapped. Who knows why. This car was supposedly some concourse winner there in Canada but not sure why. It was in pretty rough shape underneath all the green paint.
I have documentation for my car from the GM Heritage center, provided by George Zapora. It is not a build sheet but rather RPO and model information that would be found on the factory window sticker, + the number of that particular model imported to Canada. If you have that document, check for codes W25 and W29. The W25 is the OAI hood which did not come standard on any Cutlass with a 350 or L75 engine. It was however standard with the L77 which was the W30 package. If you have W29 on your provided information, someone has done add ons to your car. Also note: the metal hood on your car is not correct for W29 cars. If It was a W29 hood it would have 'Oldsmobile' script over the drivers side headlight on the hood. Like this: