The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2021, 04:17 PM

Hi, I have just purchased a 1971 Olds Cutlas Supreme convertible. This is my first Olds and I am looking forward to the build. The fellow I bought it from had owned it since 1998 and had worked on it off and on since then. It has never been on the road since 1998.
The body has been off the frame and all rust removed, panels fitted and all in primer. The chassis has been totally refurbished and among the many boxes that came with the car is a whole new interior, including new glass and a new convertible top.
My intention is to end up with the car looking stock but running with modern power and drivetrain. I hope that doesn’t upset the purists out there but I am after the reliability and safety that modern technology offers.
I look forward to the forums for advice and information about this wonderful car.
Old October 5th, 2021, 05:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Restomodolds
I hope that doesn’t upset the purists out there but I am after the reliability and safety that modern technology offers.
Welcome, but sorry, you don't need an LS for "reliability and safety". My 62 Olds is the most reliable car I have (there's nothing on it to break), and swapping in an LS doesn't do a thing to make the car "safer". Do what you want, but don't kid yourself about it. No drivetrain swap has as much engineering and testing behind it as the OEM parts.
Old October 5th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Banned

Don't sweat the purists. Sorry Joe. Build it to your ideas and plans. Doesn't sound all original anyway.
Welcome to the site. What colors are you going with?
Old October 5th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Don't sweat the purists. Sorry Joe. Build it to your ideas and plans. Doesn't sound all original anyway.
Welcome to the site. What colors are you going with?
I have no problem with people building their own car their own way. Pretty much every car I own is modified. I do have a low tolerance for the "reliability and safety" rationale BS.
Old October 5th, 2021, 06:37 PM
Banned

Gotcha. My 66 purrs with it's original drivetrain.
Old October 5th, 2021, 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1374580]Welcome, but sorry, you don't need an LS for "reliability and safety". My 62 Olds is the most reliable car I have (there's nothing on it to break), and swapping in an LS doesn't do a thing to make the car "safer". Do what you want, but don't kid yourself about it. No drivetrain swap has as much engineering and testing behind it as the OEM parts.[/QUOTE

Thanks Joe, I agree that for their time 1971 OEM parts were the best available. I believe modern brakes and suspension have come such a long way from 1971 that I want them on my car
Old October 5th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, it's your car to do whatever pleases you. However I agree with Joe on this one, these cars were daily drivers back in the day and very reliable. Simple enough that they rarely broke down on the side of the road whereas the average do it yourselfer couldn't get them back home. It's not a purist thing coming from me I assure you.
Old October 5th, 2021, 09:42 PM
Banned

Oldsmobile baby. You know why our Fathers owned Oldsmobiles? Because they were reliable and ran forever.
Old October 6th, 2021, 04:31 AM
Bfg

The cars have not gotten any more unsafe, it’s the other idiots on the road that have gotten unsafe!
Old October 6th, 2021, 05:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe, I agree that for their time 1971 OEM parts were the best available. I believe modern brakes and suspension have come such a long way from 1971 that I want them on my car
Not sure what suspension and brakes have to do with an LS swap. In any case, no one will argue that a PROPERLY ENGINEERED and installed brake and suspension upgrade is a vast improvement. Unfortunately, most available kits are not, and even fewer installers have the experience or skill to understand what they are doing. Search this site for threads from folks who have installed four wheel disc setups and now are complaining that the car stops worse than it did with the original drums. Heck, most people don't know the difference between a brake junction block, metering valve, proportioning valve, or combo valve. Factory brakes were designed and tested to operate properly with the car empty, fully loaded, brakes new, brakes worn to the limits, and in dry, wet, sandy, and other road conditions. No aftermarket kit has a fraction of that engineering and testing. No, I'm not suggesting that 9.5" drums are the ultimate braking solution. I'm saying that any upgrade needs to be fully thought out for ALL driving conditions. If all you plan to do is drive the car to the local cruise night and back, it doesn't matter. If you really plan to drive it hard, be sure you fully understand how your changes work under the full range of driving conditions you might see. The last thing you want is for your "upgraded" brakes to do something unexpected when a kid runs out in front of you.
Old October 6th, 2021, 05:43 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Joe ought to be president.

Oh, wait ...
Old October 6th, 2021, 06:18 AM

Unless you're thinking about installing ABS, brakes really haven't come a long way. Front discs are a huge upgrade but an aftermarket front disc brake vs OEM front disc isn't going to make much difference. Rear discs are just a complete waste of money IMO. There are definitely options for suspension upgrades but I haven't done any of them so I can't comment
Old October 7th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Art S

Welcome to the site. Post some photos.
Old October 7th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.