The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Kid in Town

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2013, 11:13 AM

New Kid in Town

Hey there! My name's Keegan, 17 years old from NE Ohio. Oldsmobile has run in my family for a long time, and it's become a part of my life now as well. I've run into this site a few times researching random info for my car and I decided it was time to join and start learning as much as I can.

My first car (and only) is a 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme. I'm the 3rd owner of my car with 147,xxx on the clock. My freshman year in high school, I saw it sitting off the side of the road and demanded my Mom pull over and let me take a look. I immediately fell in love. Even though there was -and still is- a ton of work to be done, I've cherished every moment I can get to do a little work on it. This car will become my daily driver as soon as I get my licence. Ironically enough, the money I've put into it has been my biggest hindrance in getting said license. Of course, parts aren't nearly as easy to find anymore. ESPECIALLY at a decent price.

I've uploaded some photos of mine and my family's cars in my profile. There you'll see my Dad's and Uncles Cutlass' as well! Working on my Olds has been quite the journey, and it's a journey that's far from over. I'm very open in admitting that I still have a lot to learn when it comes to these cars and with cars in general. It just helps that my family works on cars for a living! So if at any time I screw up, don't be afraid to correct me. Like I said, I've got a lot to learn and constructive criticism is always helpful.

Hopefully I can learn a lot from this site and maybe make a few friends as well! Any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
Also, I use my Instagram (link on the left) for taking photos of all kinds of cars from swap meets, shows, and in my town. I'd love it if you checked it out as well!
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:39 PM

Welcome form the left coast

Glad to have you with us and that you have the old car bug. Not many your age want to rebuild an older car. Best of luck and you will find this site a great source of information and some parts you might need. It helps to post your general location when searching for stuff as freight costs are high and getting things local can save money.
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Welcome, you are the future of this hobby and we wish there were more of ya's. Nice car, whats the plan?
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Thanks both of you! As of the end of the summer, the car is road ready and drivable for the most part. The rest of the work is mainly body/interior/cosmetic. I don't plan on making it exactly showroom ready, just presentable. Since it'll be my daily driver, gas mileage won't be fun...but I have a heck of a time driving it, so it doesn't mean much! Working on the mechanics has been...well, interesting. I've driven my Dad's (which is bone stock aside from the restoration), and mine is much different. He himself has taken me for a few trips around the block and the car behaves much more intense to say the least. A man who visits the shop where my Dad works was actually a previous owner of the car, and he says he used to race it. Unfortunately, his memory isn't the best, so asking him what he did to "upgrade" it yields unsatisfactory results at times. He says he replaced the heads, although we don't know what kind are installed currently. The motor is most definitely a 350 rocket, gold paint and all. As far as horsepower, torque, 1/4 mile and whatnot: I wish I knew. One day, I suppose!
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:28 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Keegan. You maybe spending a little more on gas, but at least you won't have the auto loan to pay off if you had bought a newer car. Best of luck with it, and we look forward to learning more about your project!
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Keegan
I saw it sitting off the side of the road and demanded my Mom pull over and let me take a look.
Man, when I was 17 years old, if I had "demanded" anything of my mother, not only would she not have pulled over, she'd have smacked me in the face for talking to her in that tone of voice.

And then wait 'til my father got home.....
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Man, when I was 17 years old, if I had "demanded" anything of my mother, not only would she not have pulled over, she'd have smacked me in the face for talking to her in that tone of voice.

And then wait 'til my father got home.....
This came out a little wrong...haha. It was more like me freaking out, her yelling at me for freaking out, then pulling over. LOL