The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New kid on the big block. (Look a pun!!)

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:53 PM

New kid on the big block. (Look a pun!!)

I'm a younger guy (25) n Kinda new to the engine building world. I've rebuilt dt466e diesels before but no gassers. I know my way around a wrench but I don't know what I'm fixing lol. (ie I know how to set valve lash but no idea what it does) I recently purchased a '72 cutlass and I'm building it into a driver. Lot of chevy people around me no olds guys that I've found yet.(eau Claire wi area) Iv got access to a good shop and the guy who owns it is a good family friend but he is a Harley/chevy guy so here I am!!! I'll prob ask some questions that have been asked before... Please don't hate me haha. Merry Christmas n happy new yr!!! Glad to be here!
IAP
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:41 PM

Any "chevy/harley" mechanic shoud easily be able to spot, identify and repair problems on a variety of vehicles if worth a darn. You should be covered with anything else that should arise with the help of these guys.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pics of your car. A lot of us learned just as you are. It's nice to get younger people in this hobby.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:40 AM

Welcome aboard

X 2 on what they said
Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!! It's nice to see people who respond to new members. I'm not worried about his abilities as a mechanic... (He's built some cool stuff! One of his cars just got shipped to Japan!)I could even blunder my way through a rebuild lol. It's the little things im worried about. Such as I've gathered that the 455 has per say an oiling issue or how the center exhaust divider midoodler should be built up or milled down? Hence why Iv joined your community haha. I'm not looking to correct any engine questions in this thread I will start appropriate threads elsewhere. I run my own biz so at times my posting will be far and in between please forgive that! I also have the best damn extra sharp cheddar.... So if want some good wi cheese hit me up lol.(I sell cheese)
IAP
Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:48 AM

I'd love some. PM me the details $ # etc
Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:59 AM

Pm sent
IAP
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:05 AM

Welcome aboard! There are a lot of members here that know a ton about Oldsmobiles (not me tho). I've learned some very important Olds stuff in here in the last few months. And yes, stock Olds V8s are known for oiling 'issues' when pushed beyond ~ 5500 or so rpm (I plan on keeping my stock oiling system Olds 350 below 5250 or less). You can find a lot info by searching the 'issue/problem/question' followed by 'Classic Oldsmobile'.