The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy from WV

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:55 PM

New Guy from WV

Hello from West Virginia. I'm 25 yrs old and I'm obsessed with bicycles and cars that are at least twice my age. I'm about to buy a '59 Dynamic and wanted to get involved in the community.
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Cutlass Lover

Cool!! Welcome to our site! Lots of knowledge and advice on here - post pics when you get the car!!
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM

where in WV?
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you decided to join us.
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Congrats on your soon to be purchase. It's nice to know that there are some young people that are into old school rides and not rice burners.
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
where in WV?
I'm from Clarksburg. Have you got some ties to the state/live here?

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll have some better pics than my avatar up after I get it.
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Fish
Hello from West Virginia. I'm 25 yrs old and I'm obsessed with bicycles and cars that are at least twice my age. I'm about to buy a '59 Dynamic and wanted to get involved in the community.
Watch out for that, by the time you are my age you will be buying 110 year old cars!
Welcome to CO.
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM

I already wanna buy 110 yr old cars lol
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM

I have lived in Huntington, Wheeling, and Morgantown. Got my Ph.D. in Chemistry from WVU. Have a long term friend in Fairmont who caravanned with me to the OCA Nationals in 2009 and 2010.
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Welcome, got a soft spot for '59's and those huge rear quarter panels.
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. Post more pics when you can.
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:11 AM
...should get a life....

Welcome. 59s are nice. Looking forward to seeing a few pics.
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Welcome! There are not enough 59's Dynamics around here, so we're glad to see another. Post lots of pics and feel free to start a resto thread, or several.......

Just old cars and bicycles? By your user name I would assume boats would be included, too. I sure like 'em!
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Welcome! There are not enough 59's Dynamics around here, so we're glad to see another. Post lots of pics and feel free to start a resto thread, or several.......

Just old cars and bicycles? By your user name I would assume boats would be included, too. I sure like 'em!
I do enjoy a nice boat... That's why I bought the '59! j/k Truthfully the name stems from my days running a drumline.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll post some pics pretty soon and let ya know when they're up. I've got a couple of projects that will need done such as the interior and welding some patchwork in the floor of the trunk.

I have lived in Huntington, Wheeling, and Morgantown. Got my Ph.D. in Chemistry from WVU. Have a long term friend in Fairmont who caravanned with me to the OCA Nationals in 2009 and 2010.
That's cool. I lived in Morgantown for a few years before buying a house in Feb and moving back home to Clarksburg. I hated Morgantown too much. It's sad that I can get to where I worked in Morgantown faster driving nearly 40 miles from C-burg than I could driving from 6 miles away on Van Voorhis Rd.
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Welcome aboard Captain! Yes, you should qualify as owning a Land Yacht with that car! Please post more photos when you get it home and keep us posted on the progress of your project. John
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Oldsdruid

Just realised that's a post car that appears to have the Deluxe bright trim around the side windows. My books say there were over 16000 1959 D88 2-door coupes built but doesn't break them down to Deluxe trim cars.

Enjoy it. 2-door posts were the kinds of cars that got used up and thrown out so unusual to find one now. They were on their way out in full-size Olds by 1959. 1961 was the last full-size 2-door post Oldsmobile with slightly under 5000 made, until the bodystyle returned for the downsized 1977s.
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:02 AM

I'm not completely sure what kind of trim package it has. I'll post a side view pic so you can hopefully tell me

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Welcome aboard Captain! Yes, you should qualify as owning a Land Yacht with that car! Please post more photos when you get it home and keep us posted on the progress of your project. John

Maybe I should paint a big jolly roger on the roof and name her Queen Anne's Revenge lol.
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM

017.jpg019.jpg021.jpg
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Oldsdruid

Yup- bright trim around the side windows, Deluxe trim. It would have had a few interior upgrades over a bottom line D88 post too. Looks like you need a windshield; one from any 1959-60 GM 2 or 4 door sedan or station wagon will work. Hardtop/convertible windshield will not.

Few years back a friend of mine near Charlotte NC was parting a 59 D88 four door. IDK if he still has anything from that car or not.

So, youngun- how do you plan to do this car? Restored to original, modified, what's in store for the Revenge? You want a Jolly Roger, find someone going down to the Outer Banks of NC and get them to get you a JR sticker for the back glass.

One of my cousins went to the University of Richmond in the early 60s. The UR sports teams were the Spiders, and their mascot was a spider in a Confederate General's uniform, complete with sword (which has since unfortunately been politically corrected). They had a 59 Buick flattop that she took to Richmond and she had those spider decals on the windshield corners and the wraparound of the back glass. Always thought those were just plumb cool.
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:27 PM

I've seen enough SS Chevelles and Camaro's to last a lifetime. That 59 of yours would be a car I would definitely stop and look at. I love those late 50's cars.
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Welcome to CO! You have a bit of work ahead of you, but it will be worth it!!!!
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Ya, I'm going to get a windshield from that fella I spoke of in another thread that you read. He said he's got a few cars I should be able to get a windshield from.

My plans for this car, at least for the moment, are to rat it for lack of a better description. I need it for daily driving to and from my new job asap so I'm not gonna take too much time doing body work to put a nice paint job on it, at least not yet. It's got all of the original chrome in the trunk that will go back on it after I flat black it. Other than that, I'll probly wire in a radio since it wasn't taken as an option when purchased.

Personally, I love the look of relatively dirty chrome on a car that looks like it's been driven every day for the past 50 years. You can almost see the entire history of the car and what it's gone through and seen over the decades.

Raider, I see you're from Danville... My brother lived there for a while. Nice place. Especially your golf courses lol. I enjoyed Glen Oak a lot.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Crazy Canuck

Welcome to the site. Can't wait to see the restoration begin!!

Wayne
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Oldsdruid

Glen Oak CC dissolved and changed names- it is now Ray's Creek, still private. When it was Glen Oak membership was way cheaper than Tuscarora or Danville Golf Club and it was more challenging than DGC. People wanting to play a public course either do Ringgold (owned by my cousin and her family) or Caswell Pines down in Yanceyville.

Gotta admit golf is one addiction I stayed away from. Tall as I am, I realised I'd have to have custom length clubs and I wasn't sure I wanted to get that deep into it right off the bat.
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM

When did Glen oak dissolve? I couldn't remember the name but looking at google maps I believe that was the location. It was last august when I was there, so it could've been a different name.

I'm 6'4" and play with standard length clubs. How tall would you be?
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:57 PM

Hi Guy's
I have a 55 Old 88 4 Dr all original with 23,324 miles. After 27 year's of storage, I decided I better start enjoying it in my later years. I'm sorry I didn't do this when I was younger. The lower pitman shaft needle bearing is badly worn. Too much play in the steering wheel. With that milage, it's hard to believe. I bought a new 55 Olds 2 Dr HT and never had any trouble with anything. I sold it with 98,000 miles and ran like new. Where is the best place to get steering gearbox parts? And would I have to replace the entire gearbox or just the bearing, Has anyone had this problem.
How do I post pictures?
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM

Welcome to CO! This place is awsome! I've been a member for a few weeks now, there's a lot of helpful people here. Enjoy!
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Captain_Fish
When did Glen oak dissolve? I couldn't remember the name but looking at google maps I believe that was the location. It was last august when I was there, so it could've been a different name.

I'm 6'4" and play with standard length clubs. How tall would you be?
Talk about coincidental.

http://www.wbtm1330.com/1news.htm

http://www2.godanriver.com/news/2010...f-c-ar-490328/

I'm 6'3" with long legs and with standard clubs I overshoot the ball by 2-3". Uncle who was a long-time golfer (and actually played semi-pro) pointed out the club length issue.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 7th, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM

OH NO.... That sucks... My brother's not gonna be happy lol.

I've got really long arms and a very broad back, so I can reach the ball with no problem.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

I'm 6'3" with long legs and with standard clubs I overshoot the ball by 2-3".

Rocket,

Ya jes gotta "Be the Ball" Nananananaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Nice looking car with a good patina...
I do like to see an original car that tells tales of its life through its appearance.
Maybe just find a way to prevent additional rust since you plan to use it as a DD.

I like the JR flag idea, even though the car does not fit the "land yacht" catagory completely.
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Oldsdruid

More like a space ship...

Fish, do a search for 1959 Fisher (!) Body Time Travel ads. I think you'll like them.
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Here are the two, cool Fisher Body ads that featured the '59 Oldsmobiles. Unique ads in a similar "time travel" theme were done for the cars produced by each GM division.

Old September 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Very cool ads. I'd love to find copies of those to blow up poster size and hang in the dining room.
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Welcome from Northern California, Dan
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Maybe you've already checked this out:

http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA.../dirindex.html

That website is full of cool old brochures. I love that you are going to daily drive it.
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Hallo Brian- thanks for posting those. I could not find any in a search this afternoon even though the first link was to the AACA discussion we had on them 5-6 years ago.

One thing I did find was a 1958 Olds version, speeding thru the Egyptian desert past the Sphinx. Had never seen that one. Ultimately the coolest ads GM ever produced.

Seems I remember you have them all? Why not post them for us?

Fish, you may not have to enlarge them. A lot of them were in large format magazines like Life, Look, Holiday etc. Ads like these frame well, especially if you find a centerfold ad and double mat it. Get a framer who understands color and they really pop.

Said the man who is rapidly running out of wall space to put his framed Oldsmobile ads on.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 7th, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM

We have quite a few 59 Dynamic 88s parts cars. You can see some of them on www.bigmauto.com or pm me what you need.

I had a 59 for about 10 years. 2 dr post too. I thought this was mine, but the right fender is in too good of condition.
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Soooo..... I just got back from HEAVEN!! For those of you that hadn't read from my other thread

There's a fella that has owned a dealership since the early 50's that is about an hour from me. Every car that he would take on trade he would park in a lot on his personal property and never resell it. Now these vehicles are occasionally being sold and are also used for parts. With at least a dozen cars to pick from, he knows that I could find anything I need on his lot (I'm getting a windshield from him that'll probly cost me about $100).
For those of you that were speculative, I've gotten more info on the operation. The dealership opened in the 1920's. Any vehicle taken on trade WAS parked on the owners private property and not re-sold. The reason for this was to essentially monopolize the market in the area because there were no other dealerships for quite a distance. Sell new cars above msrp and not provide a used car market was what they did. They used the traded cars for parts to service vehicles of those model years. Kinda not cool, but smart business at the same time.

ANYWAY... I made my pilgrimage to the holy land today. I only had access to about 1/4 of the property (we covered approx 14 acres I'd say). After cross-matching part-numbers I've found 3 windshields that will work, 2 possible interiors I may purchase (both from '60 Pontiacs unfortunately), ALL possible chrome pieces that were available as options (wheel well chrome trim pieces in amazing shape are probly being bought with the windshield), rear and side-view mirrors, a pin-straight grill, and a parking light lens I need.

I'll post a few pictures in a bit to prove I'm not completely insane.

Last edited by Captain_Fish; September 10th, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM

I wish I had about 12 hours to go over the ENTIRE property... So many times I'd see a potential part vehicle to take from and be disappointed by a missing windshield, missing chrome piece I want, or whatever and then get excited that I got to keep going lol. We found lots of parts for my buddies '52 Chevy, '53 Pontiac, '60 Buick, and my '59 Dynamic.

I forgot my camera through most of our visit... I'll get some more pics when we go back to pick up parts.

Upon entering....

001.jpg
002.jpg

I'm glad this was almost entirely pick over in the past...
005.jpg
006.jpg
008.jpg

My new side view mirror hanging on a school bus from the early 50's. It' not stock but it's cool so I don't care.
007-1.jpg

Beautiful '58 Olds. Pictures are misleading to the condition of most of the car.
009.jpg
010.jpg

1957(?) Nash Ambassador. This car would be VERY restorable...
012.jpg

An AWESOME Hudson Hornet hiding in the woods...
019.jpg

And now a couple Oldsmobiles...
014.jpg
015.jpg

017.jpg

Quick Reply: New Guy from WV