The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Always room for one more

New guy in Georgia

Hello everyone. New to the website. I have a 70 Cutlass 4door that I've had for 28 years. It is in bad shape but since it's my first car I'm keeping it. I'll get to it one of these days.

I'm going to be looking for a 70 Cutlass convertible. Had one years ago and regretted selling it.

Hope I can contribute something useful to the group. I've spent most of the last few years with Corvairs, but the Oldsmobile is my first love.

Thanks for having me.

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to the site Mike. Your 70 4 door seems to have a cool history. We all know it's not what you'd call a 'desirable' collector car, but there are lots of parts available for it now. It could be your starter project until you get your vert. Post some pics of the car please
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:51 AM

Welcome aboard. Glad to have another Gawga Boy with us.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks you guys. I don't have any digital pictures of my car. I'll have to see what I can do.

I bought this car off a family friend in 1984 for 700 bucks. Lots of rust, bent front bumper, didn't run so good. I got it running like a top in short order, but the rust remains. I had big plans but little money(I was in high school). I drove it for several years until I got a job a few miles from home and $20 a week in gas was killing me. Enter a VW.

When I moved to Georgia the car followed but was really in no shape to be driven, and it hasn't gotten any better. A couple years ago a tree fell on it but after all this time I don't have the heart to take it apart, so it just sits under a cover. I really don't know if it's salvageable but it isn't hurting anything just sitting there so I don't think about it much but brag that I still own my first car and it's going on 28 years. In fact it will be 28 years next week.

Maybe the convertible that I'm looking for will get me off center and do something with it.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard fellow Gawgian!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM

Welcome to the site! Is your 4 door a hardtop or post car? There's a member in Europe (Germany?) that's restoring a 4 door. The resale value isn't there but they are fine cars just like the 2 doors. I'm using a 1967 Cutlass 4 door as my daily driver and I still get comments on it. John
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Always room for one more

My 4door is a post. I wasn't an Olds guy, or any guy, when I bought it in high school. It was a cheep first car that I totally got into. While researching the car I came across other Oldsmobiles, like the Indy Pace Cars and the Hurst Olds', and I was hooked. When I got the car in '84, I could smoke a Corvette. Now, the 84 Corvette was a huge POS, but it was bragging rights nonetheless.

I will keep this car until the end of time, so I'm not worried about resale, and in fact I'd love to have another one just like it. I come across a 4door once in a while, but by the time I get the chance to call on it, it's sold! My secret about 4doors is out.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM

Welcome!!!! That's so cool you still have your first car!!!!