The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy to the forum

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2017, 05:34 PM

New guy to the forum

Hi, new guy to the forum, my first car, back in 1990 was a '56 Super 88 that was passed down to me. Like most kids I didn't appreciate what I had, and after I blew the transmission up I decided to sell it for waaaaaay too little. I've recently found another one I'm hoping to pick up in the next week or so if we can agree on the price. Look forward to reading and learning from some of you all. I might be a bit of a pariah, since I intend to swap in an LS3 and 4l80e, but I want to be able to hop on the highway and cruise from coast to coast with little to no worries.
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you become an owner. The Vintage section has a lot of good info.
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:14 AM

Welcome aboard pariah, and as mentioned above we like pictures. As far as driving coast to coast with a a original engine and drive train I don't see any problem at all using what was issued in 56. If you build it like it was when new there is no reason you can't drive it today the same, fear not.

I don't do coast to coast but have done many north to south runs with my ride with few issues and will probably do so again, three thousand miles is a pretty common trip.

All that being said It's your ride and money do what ever makes you happy and I'll be happy if I can help in any way.... Lost in the fifties.... Tedd
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your new project...
Old December 11th, 2017, 04:12 PM

It's not the engine that is a deterrent to long distance travel, its things like seats, suspention, and wind and road noice.
Old December 11th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Welcome to CO, nice choice in vintage Oldsmobiles, like the '56 design, original motors are rock solid design. Not sure about the transmissions yet, few guys left that can repair correctly.
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:29 PM

I'll agree with the wind noise thing but mines is a convertible and with the top up it sucks air everywhere. The ride thing I don't agree with at all. My 55 rides as well or better than any of my other newer cars and that is with OEM style shocks. It does float like a boat but that is the habits and style of a old lady that was born in the mid fifties. Seats are very comfortable even for a 65 year old car though they are rebuilt as new. The a slant pan hydra-matic is about as bullet proof as any transmission around in stock form and mine works as well as it did when new.

How many different new car parts should one add to a classic old original car and still call it a classic or even a old car. I know I'm somewhat of a purest and kinda grumpy tonight (I think I need a nap) but at what point should performance trump nostalgia ? I actually do know it's to each their own thing but it does bother me to see another one that will never be what it once was and probably only one in a hundred ever get put back stock after being modified and then sold..... I think I'll have a drink and go to bed..... Lost in the fifties .... Tedd
Old December 13th, 2017, 07:59 PM

Mine is a a convert too so that definitly adds to wind noise. I do miss power seats on a long trip though and while I enjoy the ride of my Cutlass I think modern cars handle better. But I agree with Tedd on too much modernization of an old car. One of the reasons for having an older car is to enjoy the " old car " experience. That being said it's your car so do what pleases you.
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard pariah, and as mentioned above we like pictures. As far as driving coast to coast with a a original engine and drive train I don't see any problem at all using what was issued in 56. If you build it like it was when new there is no reason you can't drive it today the same, fear not.
Second that. Cannot recall how many Chicago-to-L.A. trips were made in or 50's era Olds.
Old December 17th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Well, I am now the proud owner of this beauty. It has a 371 with the 3 deuces from a 57, and I know it's not a J2 since it's a 56, the badges will be removed shortly.....lol. Let me know what you guys (and ladies if there are any here) think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 2.jpg (49.5 KB, 3 views)
olds 3.jpg (61.2 KB, 3 views)
olds engine.jpg (74.2 KB, 3 views)
olds front.jpg (54.8 KB, 2 views)
olds interior.jpg (53.4 KB, 3 views)
olds trunk.jpg (43.2 KB, 3 views)
olds.jpg (48.0 KB, 4 views)
Old December 17th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Oh and I do completely appreciate the input from everybody! This is my second 56, the first was a hand me down when I turned 16, and I didn't appreciate what I had. Now I'm 43 and it has a completely different meaning. My biggest fear of the original drive train is in the transmission, that's actually what let me down in me original car (completely my fault, I was the typical 16 year old). I might keep the 371, although if I do it will get Holley Sniper EFI since I'm a dealer for them, and buy the adapter from Bendtsen's to put a late model OD trans in it.
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome and what a nice car. You might want to talk to Tony at Ross Racing about the transmission conversion. He had a complete deal for a Turbo 350 and 400 conversion but I don't think he does an OD conversion. I am not familiar with Bendtsen's.
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:03 AM

Welcome, very nice car. You can definitely do whatever you want to your car but assuming it runs good now I would drive it as is for awhile before tearing it up. I wouldn't be afraid of the transmission, they used 4-speed Hydro's on drag strip gassers so they are plenty strong, the trick today is finding someone who knows how to work on them. Most of the fun of owning an old car is that it IS old and there is enjoyment in living with the vintage technology - give it a chance.
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Welcome and what a nice car. You might want to talk to Tony at Ross Racing about the transmission conversion. He had a complete deal for a Turbo 350 and 400 conversion but I don't think he does an OD conversion. I am not familiar with Bendtsen's.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check him out. I wasn't aware that anybody else was doing them, and Bendtsen is kind of an ***.....lol.
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
Welcome, very nice car. You can definitely do whatever you want to your car but assuming it runs good now I would drive it as is for awhile before tearing it up. I wouldn't be afraid of the transmission, they used 4-speed Hydro's on drag strip gassers so they are plenty strong, the trick today is finding someone who knows how to work on them. Most of the fun of owning an old car is that it IS old and there is enjoyment in living with the vintage technology - give it a chance.
Oh I intend to enjoy it this way for quite a while before I do anything to it. I'm just happy to have been fortunate enough to find one.
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Don R:

If he has a 371 he very likely has the Jetaway instead of the old 4 speed hydra-matic. Big difference.

Tony is not the most personable guy you will ever talk to but he is not an ***. His dad started the company and he grew up in it. He knows his stuff.