The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy and a 69 Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:16 AM

New Guy and a 69 Vista Cruiser

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the site and just getting into my first project; a 69 Vista Cruiser. It is pretty much a family bonding project with the wife and three kids. My 6 year old son just eats up everything I can throw at him.

We just got the car a week ago. I'm focusing on the charging section of her electronics. This week I am replacing a second alternator, voltage regulator and probably every wire to the ignition and back to the battery. I have burned out the first alternator and pulled the regulator. Typically it gives the generator light though once with the new alternator and even once with the regulator pulled it ran would operate with the battery disconnected. I'm thinking ground and shorting wire issues. Of course any advice from y'all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:23 AM

Have the battery tested. It can kill a charging system. More likely, in my experience.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:38 AM

huh.

Thanks, I forgot to mention I swapped the battery already too. I think The problem is elsewhere since even with a new battery I could disconnect the battery and the engine would die (though one random start up with both the old regulator and one with no regulator at all it would run with no battery connected). Am I overlooking something with the battery? I welcome all advice!

Thanks again
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:32 AM

welcome
1969 best year!
put you location in your profile so we know where you are.

have you tested battery terminal cables?
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM

Congrats love the 69s! Pics? Wiring issues are a PITA. Maybe consider an alternater with an internal regulator. 1 wire and that's it! Or if the wiring is in bad shape you can get a new engine wire harness. It's fairly easy to replace and every wire under the hood would be brand new. Good luck.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Beob
Congrats love the 69s! Pics? Wiring issues are a PITA. Maybe consider an alternater with an internal regulator. 1 wire and that's it! Or if the wiring is in bad shape you can get a new engine wire harness. It's fairly easy to replace and every wire under the hood would be brand new. Good luck.
Welcome. I would second the internal regulator alternator swap (they were factory installed on 69 442s) but not the one-wire version. There's a reason why GM chose to use all three wires - and GM will normally save every penny possible on production costs. One-wire alternators are not naturally occurring (they are an aftermarket-only item) and most do not charge at idle. They also disable the GEN warning light, unless you pay $20 extra for the electronic module to replace that function that comes free with a factory alternator.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys. Honestly, the cables do need to be replaced. It just seems like that would be too easy a fix for my luck (definitely replacing it too). I am happy to replace it all and I keep getting excuses to tell the wife so I can keep replacing stuff. I noticed on the old regulator the terminal 4 was smoked, particularly where the capacitor was (that's just for the radio?).

Here she is: I just got it last week, so the paint job wasn't me...just saying. Hopefully the pictures stay embedded in the post.

Ok here is a link. Sorry it's my facebook. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9900188&type=1

Last edited by OldsNoob; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Trouble posting pictures
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OldsNoob
Ok here is a link. Sorry it's my facebook. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9900188&type=1
Well, your luck is consistent...

Originally Posted by facebook
This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, your luck is consistent...
Hopefully this works...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20130324_001.jpg (49.0 KB, 15 views)
WP_20130324_004.jpg (58.5 KB, 9 views)
WP_20130324_003.jpg (60.6 KB, 9 views)
WP_20130324_002.jpg (50.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by OldsNoob; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: poor info
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM

Nice car! Welcome to CO.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:34 PM

Thanks.
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:30 AM

Vista's are great, but someone has changed your tail lights...
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:02 AM

huh... I didn't notice. Honestly I probably wouldn't have either. I'm really not super schooled-up on this particular model. This was a bit of a quick purchase. I just thought It would be fun to fix up and cruise around in with the fam. So, I'm just reading the old shop manual and tinkering right now. Looks like I got some real knowledgeable folks around hear. Glad to have the info and I always welcome more.