The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the forum and Building a 71 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2013, 06:36 AM

New to the forum and Building a 71 Cutlass S

Hey everyone, I thought I'd Introduce myself to everyone. My name is Mark, and I'm addicted to cutlass's.. lol.. Anyway, my dad bought me my first car so we could rebuild it together.. well life happened and the car got put on the back burner and has set mid restoration for many years.. The car of course is a 1971 Cutlass S.. What we have is a brand new 350 rocket, ported and polished, and bored out 30 over, a previously unused frame, and all new suspension, stainless steel brake lines as well as everything else under the hood..The car has sat in this condition for around 15 years.. (Covered luckily) anyhow the good news is we are bringing it to life.. we are both sick of it taking up space and being of no use.. This car will be my daily driver.. rain or shine.. so we will not be doing the 3000 dollar paint job.. or the racing gears lol.. I know i could make this car very fast.. but i personally have a lead foot .... so slow is better in my case lol.. it will not be original inside.. although that does not mean im cutting the dash or door panels for speakers lol.. I just going to add my own touches to the car. anyhow.. Photos time lol.. thanks for reading An I hope to meet some great people who also have the same addiction as I do! have a good one. Side note, Im apparently going to need another new set of valve covers .... oh well its still beautiful to me.
Old June 6th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Welcome, yes sometimes life does happen. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:59 PM

Well, we have a few more photos to upload.. please keep in mind this is not going to be a show car.. neither of us are pro's and don't pretend to be lol.. But we started the body work.. replacing panels.. we bought new rear quarters, wheel housings, both new rockers, inner rockers, and trunk supports. these photos are just what i got to take when i thought about it LOL!... thanks for looking and I hope someone is enjoying the build i know we are! [IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by SevenNoOni; August 29th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:00 PM

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM

sorry about the multi posts.. i'm apparently rushing things i shouldn't with this forum LOL Anyhow, we still have a lot of work today you can see rot still but its coming along.. we are attempting to save what money we can and repair what is able to be repaired..but anyway this is what we have so far.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:39 PM

lookin good just went through the same thing with my 70, stick with it great satisfaction when done. Will try to post some pics of mine in time.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Looks good, nice work.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
same but different

I remember reading your post back in June. Was wondering about how this was coming along. So, thanks for checking back in. Keep us up to date. We like seeing these projects come together.

Whats your timeline on finishing? Are going to have this up and running next spring?

Looking good, so keep at it.
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone . Don71, our time was supposed to be Oct 2014.. however, at the rate we are moving I don't see why it couldn't be done by spring. (Save for any disasters) Today, we began fitting the driver side wheel housing and rear quarter.. got a late start but got it mostly fitted.. just need to weld it together.. maybe a few finishing cuts who knows.. I assume Wednesday night they will be welded into place. we did start the motor a few weeks back.. After the motor was rebuilt its never been driven only fired up for moments at a time to make sure its still okay LOL. (i mostly just like to hear the sound so it entices me to continue working! lol) I did however have a question.. I need to buy new shocks..again keep in mind this is not a race car and will be my everyday driver so comfort is needed.. however if i decide to push it a bit some handling would be much appreciated! I was looking at Monroe ultra's any reviews on them for a cutlass? I'm open for suggestions! i don't plan to go cheap but I just don't have any idea what i'm looking for to be honest lol. All i really know is a few friends of mine are into the rice cars.. and they all ride like S**t i do NOT want that for my car... anyway thanks again for the replies hopefully I'll have some photos on Thursday.. till then.

Last edited by SevenNoOni; August 29th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Oh before i take off to sleep land...I've been getting seriously conflicting advice with the disc/drum brakes argument... I have the double reservoir booster and all around drum brakes.. My uncle (gear head) and Father (gear head) say to stick with them they will do me fine since its just going to be a driver.. however my "younger gear head friends" all say Hell no they are sloppy and unreliable... I'm swaying towards keeping them due to if they where unreliable then why didn't everyone in the 70's die from car crashes lol.. but again any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks again!
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I have drums all away around on mine an they stop great. The only time you have issues with drums is if you hit some big puddles in a heavy rain. Then you have to apply the brakes to dry them out. With prolonged braking (like going down a long steep grade) or very high speed braking, you may get some fade. If you understand how they work, they are very safe.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:59 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Mark! Looks like you're doing a great job.

The brakes are a good question. If you have them adjusted properly, they usually work well enough except in heavy traffic or rain. If you have to deal with a good amount of both, I would upgrade to disc in the front. If not, I would just leave them alone.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Now let me introduce myself, I'm Mark also, (Mark's Dad) I didn't know he was posting on here, fortunately he does, I don't take many pictures or post much at all. Tonight Mark and I went and I brought home an 87 442 for myself, needs some work, but I drove it home, once we get the 71 completed, I can do some work on the 87 for me.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Well, we didn't end up working on the car today like i had thought.. but something even better happened. My Dad bought his dream car.. hopefully i can post some photos soon... Will continue working Saturday.. cant wait to finish the Cutlass..
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:13 PM

I got some photos of the new cutlass of my Dads (Mat1227) here they are 2013-08-29190025_zpsce196482.jpg
2013-08-29190044_zps0eab74f5.jpg
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:19 PM

Worked on the cutlass a bit today. Put the new(ish) rear end onto the frame, welded in the body mounts in the trunk then welded in a patch over top. We also started the motor I managed to take a film... I also took some photos of my Dads new 442.. it will be the next project! cant wait.. anyway those photos below.. Also, Should I be moved to the major build section or is it okay to just keep posting here? i could re-write this thing and make a 2nd thread but I think thats a bit redundant.. anyhow thanks for reading. Video of the motor!

Last edited by SevenNoOni; September 1st, 2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: lol forgot to add youtube Link for the video
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:22 PM

Dads 87 442
20130831_130547_zpsee33b8ab.jpg
20130831_130541_zpscee704ba.jpg
20130831_130533_zps11555b81.jpg
20130831_130524_zps02dc2c24.jpg
20130831_130506_zpsfb90afa8.jpg
20130831_130446_zps66d8edf7.jpg
20130831_130438_zps7d369e04.jpg
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:25 PM
1971 Cutlass 4 Door

Welcome

Welcome to C/O man keep up the good work!!
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:02 PM

thanks Mr Top Notch!
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Well Yesterday 9/5/13 we fitted the driver wheel housing as well as the driver 1/4 we did not weld it on as we where both pretty tired.. I didn't take any photos but i will once we begin to weld. I have decided however to stay with manifolds instead of going headers.. it will still sound good and thats really what i want.. I also really like the idea of still hearing my radio when i want to lol. anyway thanks for reading..
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:51 PM

sorry its been a while since I've posted, had some things come up that slowed us down a bit. Anyway as the car sits now the body is welded together both 1/4s both rockers, both inner wheel housings and the trunk is patched up. just doing some minor patches here and there. I think we should have the body back on the frame pretty soon. I think we landed on colors to paint the car. Sapphire blue with white striping, it was a toss up between white and silver but I think white wins. But paint is not on the to do for a while yet lol. Oh my dad also welded in the windshield cowl panel? i know what it is to look at it but no idea of its proper name.. its proper name may actually be windshield cowl panel LOL. but its the piece the windshield is seated into.. it was rusty which explains why the floor was so bad must have been raining inside the car for a long time. anyway thats the news.. I'll post photos soon. thanks for reading!
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM

we worked on the car last Friday and Monday, and will work again on Thursday. But so far the body is ON THE FRAME!!! ~does a dance~ we used polyurethane body mount bushings and bolted that baby down. The floor has been finished, painted, and covered with sound proofing insulation. We got out the steering box from my old 442 and are going to be using that as well as the steering column from the 442. But we found out the pitman arm from the 442 is about 2 inches longer so going to pull the original one and use it. So its been a productive week to say the least. It was a chore pulling the body from the car rotisserie and placing it onto the frame.. Bolting it back on took some time but was over all quick and relatively straight forward... I know the 71 cutlass S is nothing fancy, its not a rare car, or a highly sought after car, but its one of my dream cars and I'm very lucky to have it as well as a Father educated enough to help me with it. I couldn't be more thankful. Also I've made an album on Photobucket that will have every photo of the car I have. I have not been posting every photo i've taken as it would fill up this forum so if you'd like to look at them Here is the link http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Se7...%20Cutlass%20S
now for a few photos on here!
2013-10-0795154255_zps75289535.jpg
20131004_170250_zpsc7efe623.jpg20131003_180820_zpsa7eee8bf.jpg
thanks for reading
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:23 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by SevenNoOni
I'm very lucky to have it as well as a Father educated enough to help me with it. I couldn't be more thankful. Also I've made an album on Photobucket that will have every photo of the car I have. I have not been posting every photo i've taken as it would fill up this forum so if you'd like to look at them Here is the link http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Se7...%20Cutlass%20S
now for a few photos on here!

thanks for reading
oh come one is your dad posting in your acct LOL

nah J/K your very fortunate on both counts (the car and dad) looks like your car is coming along great !! thanks for the updates
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM

lol no its me posting. I added that about my dad because I see people my age and younger that couldn't care less about the things they have. my generation is riddled with self centered little ***** lol thanks for reading tho!
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:25 AM

well its been a long time since I've posted, we didnt really work at all on the car over the winter... it was COLD lol. Seems like some of my photos are no longer working. I'll redo them shortly once I figure out how. Anyhow, since my last post we have made some progress but it was very slow over winter like is said. We added sound proofing to the floor, added the steering column. We also go headers and heat tape going to wrap the other header this weekend. The one header we got wrapped before dark looks good and is installed on the motor. We removed the valve covers, and air cleaner, cleaned the rust off them and painted them with a high temp paint. I think they actually look pretty good. UPS came yesterday brought me my stainless exhaust system, a heater core, the core hoses and radiator hoses as well as my chrome alternator. <<<It is pretty lol. I think sometime this week I'm getting tires.. they are needed in a bad way lol, hopefully that'll work out for us. This weekend will consist of finishing and installing headers and exhaust, hoses for radiator adding bigger 6 blade fan, and installing the heater core... I'm seriously amped up its looking like a real car quickly.. at least for me LOL.

20140529_201644_zpsxdmlgvnb.jpg