The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

MY FIRST POST and i already have questions

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Smile MY FIRST POST and i already have questions

Hi Everyone,

Frank from Addison IL here. Just bought a 1972 Cutlass S up in Michigan. 350 with holley 650 carb. Been driving it every other day since I got it, no major problems... always idles around 500 rpm BUT the other day went to start it wouldn't hold the rpm and kept dying unless I held on the gas. Turned the screw up to increase idle, and the car idles higher and will maintain itself, then i turn the screw back down and it holds itself at 500 again and no problems, drive it, park it, start it again....but then the next day it wont hold the idle again unless i turn the screw up and then back down again. any suggestions?? thanks!!
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sounds like you've got a loose screw.

Seriously, I don't know squat about Holley's. I sure someone will help ya out. Hang in there a sec.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Some one will chime in and help ya out. You're funny, Jamesbo, lol!
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Check for a loose/cracked vacuum line - distributor first!
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Welcome to CO, Frank!!!!!
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Well Frank from addison, I think 500 rpm is a bit low for an automatic. I would start by tightening all my screws and mounting studs. Make sure the choke is opening all the way when warmed up.

Then I would check/ or replace my fuel filter and add some fuel treatment. Pull both air/fuel mixture screws out and spray some carb cleaner down there, reinstall and adjust.
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1972Cutlassyellow
Hi Everyone,

Frank from Addison IL here. Just bought a 1972 Cutlass S up in Michigan. 350 with holley 650 carb. Been driving it every other day since I got it, no major problems... always idles around 500 rpm BUT the other day went to start it wouldn't hold the rpm and kept dying unless I held on the gas. Turned the screw up to increase idle, and the car idles higher and will maintain itself, then i turn the screw back down and it holds itself at 500 again and no problems, drive it, park it, start it again....but then the next day it wont hold the idle again unless i turn the screw up and then back down again. any suggestions?? thanks!!
Hi Frank,

What has the weather been like? Colder? warmer? Is the choke an electrically heated choke? It sounds like the choke is not setting when you first start it cold.

When the engine is cold the choke's bi-metal spring plate tries to close the choke plate and applies a "fast idle " cam to hold the idle up a bit until the engine is warm enough to atomize the fuel properly. As the choke/engine warms up the choke plate then opens and the idle cam comes down and allows the throttle to rest on the idle screw. Maybe a small linkage has fallen off?
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Past Administrator

Glad to have you with us, welcome to the site.