The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My First Olds

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM

My First Olds

OK, when I was in college I bought my first Oldsmobile. Kept it for a couple of years and traded it off. Lordy, do I ever wish that I had somehow kept that car. It was a 1968 Cutlass S convertible, red with black bucket seat interior, no a/c, 3 speed manual floor shift, W-31 Ram Rod 350. From the limited research that I have done I think that this may have been the ONLY car built like that.

Since it has been almost 40 years since the car left my hands in Greenville, SC I am sure that there is no way to track it down to see what happened with it, although I would love to know. Any ideas on that would be great.

In any case, since I am now retired I would like a good "driver" similar to it. I have had Harley's, I am into old fast boats like Donzi, but just am longing for that old car.
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! I think we all wish we'd have kept our first Olds, lol! But what's done is done.... hope you find another one - they are out there!

Last edited by cutlassgal; November 12th, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by oledawg
Since it has been almost 40 years since the car left my hands in Greenville, SC I am sure that there is no way to track it down to see what happened with it, although I would love to know. Any ideas on that would be great.
Good luck. It would sure be cool to find it.

Do you have the VIN? Do you know the name of the person you sold it to?

Some states (I know Ohio does) let you search their title records online. You type in the VIN, and it tells you if the car is registered in the state and where. You can't necessarily get the name of the current owner that way, for privacy reasons, but you might be able to if you went a title office. I don't know if South Carolina has a service like this, but it might be worth checking in to. Of course, you have to have the VIN to do this. If you don't, things get much harder.

If you have the name of the person who bought the car from you, you might check to see if that person is still around in Greenville, or if there is anyone in the phone book with that last name who might be a relative. If you're lucky, it'll be a name like Mister Mxyzptlk that is unusual and there will be only one or two in the book. You can call them and ask. But if it's a name like Smith, that's not practical.

In short, it's a real long shot that you'll find the car, and this is assuming that it actually still exists after 40 years. But if you have the VIN in any of your old records, it might be worth at least a token effort to see if anything turns up.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Look around our classified section and hang out on CL and ebay, you may eventually find what you are looking for.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Unique

Oh, I keep looking, but like I said, I truly think that this was the ONLY one ever built like it. Had the dealer special order it. That year they made 500 coupes and NOWHERE is a record that I can find of a convertible being made....
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Wow, if only we could all get back a car we wish we never sold! I've never tried this but heard of it.....the lost car registry. Worth a shot, right?

http://the-lost-car-registry.com/

Keep us posted....and post some pics of your old car if you still have any.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM

1961 Starfire

Of course as a teenager I had access to my dad's 1961 Olds Starfire convertible, which was white with white top and red leather interior....that also was an awesome car that would look really nice with me in it today That was one more mean running machine! It was traded for a '67 GTO.
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I used to have a Donzi also, sucker would fly.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Donzi

We digress, but yes, a 500 hp 454 big block in a 2800 pound boat will push some H2O